Sat, Sep 21, 6:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Where did my memory go???? Help

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 9:22 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 11:42 PM

I have 111 gig hard drive (74 open), and a gig of ram. I tried to render V3 with justa texture map and some face morphes. Poser (PP) told me I did not have enough memory!!! I have a 2gig hz PC with a pentium4 chip. Anyone know what my problem is? :o(

Velen ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 9:29 AM

is a comon problem in poser 4 propac. to fix it make sure your vert memory is on the same drive as poser is installed and at least 2 times the amount of your ram. V3 is the same as useing 3 of vickie 2 models in your sceen and that is with out useing any morphs. so add morph meshes and textures for each morph and you have some major memory useage. Laters Vel hope this helps

tasquah ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 9:34 AM

whats your OS ? I would say if you are running PP version of poser that it couldnt find the texture it was looking for . That seems to be a general responce pop up that can a bit misleading especially in your case. Try seeing if you can do a render with out a texture .

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 10:01 AM

WinXP I go now and try.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 10:10 AM

Velen virtial memory on same drive. How do I check and adjust?

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 11:09 AM

V3 with texture & morphs. The largesr I was able to render was 850 x 850, and thats with nothing but 1-figure, 1-texture, and a couple of morphs. No clothing, no props, etc. I need to render @ 3000 x 3000 +, and at 300 dpi for print. Any suggestions? :0( I thought by buying this mach I would not have a problem.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 11:10 AM

file_38130.jpg

This was attached to my last post.

SWAMP ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 11:57 AM

Philywebrider,You didn't say,but do you have the memory patch for 1gig. or more of installed memory? SWAMP

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 12:16 PM

Yep, but I think it was for an earlier Win os, not WinXP.

EvoShandor ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 1:15 PM

Does it tell you that ever time you use Poser? Is it during setup, or upon render? I'd say to try a reboot. That always seems to fix tons of problems w/mine. Evo

Momcat ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 1:49 PM

I don't think it's really a memory problem. This happens to me every once in a while. Try cleaning out your temporary files and your recycle bin. I don't know why it works, but it always works for me. I have been rendering V3 with the Total Hair Complete, high res textures, bikini...no problem on Win2k pro, on a 12 gig hd(less than 2 gig free at the time), pentium 3 700 ghtz processor, and 785mb of RAM. Your system ought to be flying along. MOre likely it's a compatability issue somewhere...anyway, tidying up seems to do the trick for me, plus a reboot if necessary.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 2:24 PM

I cleaned out the chache, history, cookies, trash etc. I rebooted. I reduced the size of the poser window. I went into window and closed some gingerbread, but I don't know how to increase the virtial memory. V2 works fine, my problem seems to be with V3. The insuffient memory appears when I try to render at 3000 x 3000, 300dpi. The window pops up with renders of V3, 1-texture, and morphed head only. BTW I see poser cannot go over 4000 x 4000.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 2:42 PM

Great render Philywebrider

queri ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 3:30 PM

Problem might be this-- copied from Curious Labs FAQs. Poser 4 Poser can't render high resolution images. Error appears "Insufficient disk space to render" After some intense investigation we believe we have a work around. It turns out that Windows NT 4, 2000 and Windows XP must be using some space for the pagefile.sys file on the same partition that Poser is installed, to render large images. The pagefile.sys is the virtual memory or temp space for Windows. An approximate minimum would 10 MB. This amount might have to be increased for more complex scenes and animations. The maximum should be 10 MB or greater. To modify the Virtual Memory: Windows NT 4 = Right Click my computer. Click the performance tab. Click change. Click the drive Poser is installed on. Enter 10 in the Initial size field. Enter 10 or more in the maximum size field. Click set. Click OK. Click OK. Click OK. You may have to restart the System. Windows 2000 = Right click My computer. Select the Advanced tab. Click Performance option. Click Change. Select the drive Poser is installed on. Enter 10 in the Initial size field. Enter 10 or more in the maximum size field. Click set. Click OK. Click OK. Click OK. You may have to restart the System. Windows XP = Click Start. Right Click My Computer in the menu. Select Properties. Select the Advanced tab. Click Settings, next to Performance. Select the advanced tab. Click Change. Select the drive Poser is installed on. Click the Custom size button. Enter 10 in the Initial size field. Enter 10 or more in the maximum size field. Click set. Click OK. Click OK. Click OK. You may have to restart the System. Poser will now be able to render up to its maximum size of 4090 pixels x 4090 pixels @ any resolution Worked for me every time I put a Poser installation off the C drive. Emily

FishNose ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 4:20 PM

Thanks Queri - very useful info. :] Fish

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 4:44 PM

Queri Thanks much, I really appreicate the info. Frankly I was at my wits end, high resolution is important to me because of my commerical work, you're a lifesaver. SAMS3D Thanks for comment, I'm still struggling with several programs (poser being one of them), and it always good to get some reassurance that I'm doing something right. Thanks to everyone, you guys and gals have been a tremendous help with my many problems.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 4:51 PM

Err...any suggestions as to what I should set the virtial memory at? 20mb, 30mb?

queri ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 5:43 PM

I think I put mine at 100M Emily

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 6:12 PM

OK, 100mb it is. Thanks again.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 6:21 PM

file_38131.jpg

looks like it is set @1535 mb, should I boost it?

EvoShandor ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 7:28 PM

Well, that is alot, but I'd try it and see what effect it has on your rendering. Try 2 gig. scratches head How much RAM did you say was in there?

EvoShandor ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 7:32 PM

A gig of RAM and a gig and a half of swap space should be able to handle whatever Poser can dish out. I'm not certain the issue is memory related, it might be a bug somewheres. evo

Velen ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 7:48 PM

Hi i have found that if you set to min of 3 times your ram. so you have 1 gig set it to 3 gigs windows will take half of that for house keeping and let you use half. so you will have the equivalent of 2.5 gig mem for renders and so on. but dont go crazy as to large and it slows windows down as it keeps track of it just like ram, so 3 to 6 gigs max setting for the Vert mem. and make sure its set on the same drive as your poser if you have a multi drive set up like me. hope this helps Vel

jobcontrol ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 7:53 PM

Phily, it says: "Total paging file size for ALL drives: 1536MB" Do you have more than one partition of hard disk? On which of them is your Poser.exe-file? As I understand it, there has to be a pagefile of some extent ON THE SAME PARTITION than Poser. See, if you can get those 20MB or so on THIS partition. Willy

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 9:42 PM

Partition?, Multiple drives?, my computer is standrd out of the box machine. I know I have one drive, partitions? who knows? How can I check? I know I didn't partition it. Does 3 gigs sound right? Do I imput it as 3.00 GB or does it require a different format? (assuming it is not partitioned). I'm really lost here.

Velen ( ) posted Fri, 27 December 2002 at 10:12 PM

yes put in 3.00 gb then hit ok :)

arabinowitz ( ) posted Sun, 29 December 2002 at 12:05 PM

Hey everyone - I am a little confused. I have 1024 MB RAM (1 GB). My V-memory is currently set to a minimum of 1536 with a maximum of 3072. What should I chnage it to? Also, what are the disadvantages of boosting the virtual memory? Are there any dangers to being able to start up? I know, we've been through it here about a half dozen times here, but I am still confused. Thanks. Aharon

queri ( ) posted Sun, 29 December 2002 at 2:58 PM

I can't boost my total V memory any further than 4000 and something. Mainly the other memory fix I posted was for Poser on a different drive than C. Emily

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.