Mon, Sep 9, 5:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OZ: Flying Monkey: New Design (WIP?)

tjohn ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2002 at 9:30 PM · edited Mon, 26 August 2024 at 9:57 AM

file_38812.jpg

"The Wizard of Oz" has always been one of my favorite films and basically the only musical I could ever stand (people so rarely break into song in the middle of a conversation, that most of us would quickly slip silently away if they did). :^) One thing about the film that I have always found interesting was the flying monkeys. When I was 5-7 years old, my little friends would talk about how terrifying they were, how they had nightmares about them, some kids couldn't even watch the movie because of them. I thought this was strange, because even though what the monkeys DO, was scary (kidnapping Dorothy and Toto, beating up her friends, even dismembering the Scarecrow), I thought the monkeys themselves were cute, not scary at all...the little vests, the turquoise blue faces, they reminded me of organ grinders' monkeys. So here is my redesign of the flying monkeys, the only design element I'm retaining really is the blue face (and chest). I think it turned out pretty good, and if the flying monkeys in the movie had looked like this, I think I'd still be having nightmares about them. :^)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2002 at 10:24 PM

Oh yeah them damned flying monkees scared my shitless. LOL 8^) I think your gorilla needs a more terrifying weapon though. Like one of those two bladed things the Klingons fight with.

draculaz ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2002 at 10:42 PM

way to destroy a classic with pop culture, groin ;) but i agree.

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Mon, 30 December 2002 at 11:14 PM

LOL, the monkeys always seemed to small to me, yet still creepy. This big guy could seriously romp the OZ crew all by himself. Can you give him the traditional "leaning on one fist" with a bit of a menacing look?

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 4:06 AM

No offense, But I think the wings need to be bigger.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 4:58 AM

I see you have the same thoughts about musicals as i do, and yeah, i for one would run away if an entire city block suddenly would burst into singing & dancing! :) I like your version of the flying monkeys! How about giving him a big double-sided axe...? :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 5:45 AM

Hmmmmm, I like the idea of flying monkeys, flying gorillas on the other hand, not sinister enough, but it's a start...:)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 6:41 AM

file_38813.jpg

Here's version 2, I added textures to the loin cloth and wing membranes (they only had color before as this was a wip), and gave him a more menacing weapon made of hammered copper made by one of his own kind. I thought the wing membranes should be scaly, translucent, and match the color of his face and chest (I think it makes the wings look larger, too, because it makes them more prominent. ICM:This guys ancestors were knuckle-draggers, but he has evolved a bit from there, I'm talkin human-level intelligence. He has opposible thumbs that really work well on all four limbs. My thinking on giving him an upright stance is based in fact. Gorillas, like bears, stand upright when facing a perceived enemy because it makes them look a lot larger and imposing to the enemy. Would General Ursus looked as impressive if he was running around on all fours? (By the way, I never saw the remake of Planet of the Apes as I heard from several sources that it sucks, so I never bothered). And as far as a more menacing look, this is the freebie Daz gorilla LE, and his facial expression dials are very limited. Even so, if I met up with this guy in real life, and he gave me this look, I'm pretty sure I'd have just enough time to wet 'em before he killed me. Groingrinder, draculaz, and Rochr: I hope this weapon is more to your liking, I haven't tried to design weapons very often, but I like this one, it can be used as an axe, or a spear. The original one was just a quick stand-in. I realized at the time it looked dorky. Hope this is more of a crowd pleaser. And if anyone wonders why an intelligent (and gentle by nature, although you can't tell it from this pic) creature would serve the Wicked Witch of the West, they are under her magic spell. It's been a long time since I read the original Frank L. Baum book, but I think this was true in it. Zhann: I don't believe my heart could stand to see anything that you would consider "Sinister enough". :^) Thanks for the suggestions, all! Tjohn

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 6:45 AM

file_38814.jpg

And for size comparison, here he is with a 6 foot, 2 inch tall P4 Dork. (BTW, I'm 6ft2in)

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 6:48 AM

And it just occurred to me, this gives new meaning to the phrase, "When monkeys fly out of my butt!" :^)

cybrbeast ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 8:09 AM

Even though it's a gorilla I think you should try to make him a little less fat. That would make him more aerodynamic and a little more scary, I think.

ttops ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 9:19 AM

:) Happy new year.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 9:42 AM

I don't think the monkeys were scarey at all. I think your monkey looks more scarey, he is huge. Wouldn't want to meet him on a dark night. 8) Happy new year tjohn, hope yours is better than last and pain free. Be well. Catlin

SevenOfEleven ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 10:52 AM

Does the ape do flying tours? Would like to fly without having to take my shoes off. Now you have to put him in an OZ scene. You know there were more than one OZ book.

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 1:24 PM

Well, common knowledge (although it is obviously wrong in this instance) says physics can't explain how bumblebees are able to fly. Let's just all close our eyes and pretend that a 500 lb gorilla can fly...I believe...I believe...I believe. There, I know I feel better. :^) Yeah, I know gorillas are apes, (like chimps, baboons, etc.) not monkeys, but I don't have a Poser monkey, and I wanted this guy to look BAD. No matter what you do to a monkey, it's still gonna be a cute widdle monkey. Hey, there's a challenge in there somewhere...if you want a challenge, make a flying monkey that is a monkey, and make him something really scary. I don't think I could, but I'll bet somebody here can! Thanks for all the comments, and Happy Happy New Year!!! Tjohn

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 1:28 PM

Oh, and BTW, cybrbeast, He's not fat, that's all muscle, you know, like the Marvel Comics villain the Kingpin. :^)

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 1:31 PM

And talk about coincidences, the Avatar Lab ad just popped up at the top of the page, you know, the one that asks "Did you ever try to make a monkey moonwalk?" while showing what is obviously a Chimpanzee, which isn't a monkey either. LOL!

cybrbeast ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 8:44 AM

"Well, common knowledge (although it is obviously wrong in this instance) says physics can't explain how bumblebees are able to fly." Actually physics has explained how bumblebees can fly :) http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/scienceshack/backcat/experiments/exbumblebees.shtml

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.