Fri, Sep 20, 8:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Elephant Snot---that age old question

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:12 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:17 AM

OK.... We all buy 3D World, Computer Arts, etc...(although now that I'm oficially broke, I probably won't be anymore).... anyway..the CDs are held to the mag cover with that sticky elephant snot...which comes off but leaves a sticky to the CD case....is there any way to get that sticky left over snot off????

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

MachineClaw ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:16 PM

ROTFL!!!! ....errr...LOL...hahaha. Yeah, there is. I usually start at one end and roll the snot toward the other end creating a ball of snot, it usually comes off pretty easy this way on both the mag and CDs. Sometimes tis snot easy though, takes some practise and sometimes some tissues. ROTFL elephant snot...hahahahahha wanders off laughin

Wadus ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:18 PM

My CDs are never stuck to the mag. They're just in the bag with it. Maybe its a subscription thing...

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:22 PM

BUT....there is residue after the rolling proceedure :) still sticky.....that's the stuff I need to get off. I usually roll it myself...but its pretty cool if you just kinda keep pulling....when it finally releases from the case it just slaps back and gobs in your fingers... I was going to get a sub, but if that snot isn't there, what fun is that?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:24 PM

Lighter fluid works well - in fact, it's exactly the same stuff as 3M's "Clean Art" fluid, which costs about 5 times more. Also known as Naphtha, or dry cleaning fluid.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:33 PM

file_40858.jpg

snot tracks

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:37 PM

Lighter fluid...I'll have to try that...most of the cd cases are all stuck together...I was going through them tonight to see what I've let slip through my fingers..and all I got was elephant snot residue..and tons of old programs....some pretty nice textures and models, however :) Wonder if isopropyl alcohol would work...will try that too, as I haVE no lighter fluid..or fingernail polish remover...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:54 PM

Lighter fluid won't melt the cases. I've used it on many of mine.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 9:55 PM

I should just toss the darn things..saves space...but I'm getting frugal :) Some of the mags are now using the thin cases, which are pretty nice... It seems folks don't much care, or they get cracked during shipment...the whole lot of Computer Arts were all cracked at my local Borders...and there are quite a few with CDs falling out...seems it would be easier to shoplift the CD as well with them not being taped closed. I tried alcohol and fingernail polish remover...they don't work at all...

MachineClaw ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 10:16 PM

Snot something I put much thought into but who nose, maybe there is elephant snot trail remover somewhere on the www. I've seen those CD Jewel Case openers, gotta be some snot remover out there somewhere. nose around I'm sure you'll come across something, probably all backed up on orders, but if ya find a solution that works, come running back n let me know. :)

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 10:18 PM

Snot funny..... LOL

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 10:46 PM

Hmmm... I think the lighter fluid would work. Depends on what solvent breaks down the rubbery stuff. I'd just start trying various household solvents. Apparently isoproplyl (rubbing alcohol) and xylene/touluene (nail polish remover) are off the list... So, one could start with the safest solvent and work from there. Try dish soap, baking soda (with water), amonia based cleaner, degreasing agent, metal polish,... Eventually you'll hit on something that works. Of course keep in mind that some solvents will eat into the plastic and should be ruled out for future use. Or you could just get one of those CD holder "books" and chuck your jewel cases. Heheh...

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 10:55 PM

The chuck sounds like the best way... I do have a binder that holds 200...its full :) I am/was a magazine fanatic...then I realized I was going broke buying them...it doesnt seem too much..$14 a pop....but figure it out over a year...especially if you buy a couple of them each month.... but I never have enough cash at once to buy a subscription.

tasquah ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 11:05 PM

My Mum used to use peanutbutter ( not the chunky kind but creamy ) It seams to be a universial snot solvent for some reason . Hmmm go figure .

MachineClaw ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 11:43 PM

Dave-So, I was in the same boat buyin all those mags, going broke. Now I only buy them if there is something valuable to me on the CD, like the Daz models that were on one of the CDs. Now I find that the mags are outdated, or same as internet stuff, go figure. I don't worry about the snot haha, little something extra with the freebies. Rubber cement on the hand snot trick huh? Thats just wrong, way wrong. digs through art supply drawer, BIG plans for the roomie! Mawahahaha!

rodzilla ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 12:34 AM

wd40 will remove most of these types of glue pretty well,also works extremely well to take those damned dealership advertising decals off your car without messing up the paint!it really is like liquid duct tape..a thousand and one uses

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 1:58 AM

You could try Spray polish ( we have things like pledge and Mr sheen, don't know what your equivalent is). The Aerosol type, spray, leave to soak wipe off. Works to get sellotape (Duct tape) residue from windows mirrors and desks.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 2:13 AM

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol is great for removing tree sap from fingers and from cat fur (wait for the rubbing alcohol to evaporate before releasing cat). Much better than other solvents for most such stuff. For removing stickers, grease, and gum use a product called "Goo Gone" by Magic American Corporation. This was recommended to me by another artist... a guy who works with resins and weird stuff. Carolly

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 3:15 AM

Don't know what country you are from, but there is a product called Goo-Gone that'll take rust off a car bumper. Then there's always good old lighter fluid. :o) Laurie

Eowyn ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 5:46 AM

I don't know if someone mentioned this already (didn't read the whole thread) but when glue leaves a sticky spot on a cd cover or something, I always use simple cooking oil. That works every time :)

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 8:32 AM

holy canola oil...... I'll try that...I love multi-purpose fluids.

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 12:04 PM

Funny how that snot sticks when you don't want it to and it doesn't when you want it to. When I go to pick up one of the mags on the stand at the book store, the CD drops off the cover all by itself and falls behind the other magazines. But when I want to get it off, I have to pull like crazy to make it let go. Then there's that rolling and peeling procedure. I've actually gone to Office Depot and bought brand new jewel cases (those little thin ones) and replaced the sticky ones. You get something like a dozen of them for about $3.95 or something. A small price to save the sanity. Melanie

Norbert ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 1:18 PM

Yah.. New CD case. Why spend $20 worth of your time fixing somthing that's practically worthless. Couple of times I had those magazine CD cases break, at the point where I finally had 99% of that SNOT off of them.

bknoh ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 5:19 PM

Another trick I learned when I had my antique shop was to make a paste of dishwashing powder (like you use in a dishwasher). It takes gooey stuff off very well. Diane

Lyrra ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 5:24 PM

I use "Amazing Orange", the stuff that construction workes use to get stuff off their hands. It cleans EVERYTHING...and has a pleasent citrus smell too :) Works on oil paint, spackle, tar, cement, silicon adhesive, duct tape yuckies ... I imagine it works on this too. BTW it does take your nail polish off too sigh (guess most contruction workers don't have to worry about that, huh)

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 6:57 PM

well, I haven't had nail polish on since..... ever.... so guess that issue won't matter

Bidsy ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 7:35 PM

I thought it was hobbit-snot?! - -Thats what they use on the fantasy-gaming mags! Need a dragon to gently heat it off!! LOL - Good thread!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.