Tue, Oct 22, 6:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: How to make money in Poser

jamx ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 10:14 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:34 AM

Hello anyone, I have recently dived into Poser ans would like to find out how to make a living from poser. Is it just a tool for home use or can it be used professionaly to make a living. I was wondering if anyone head links that they could send me to settle an argument

elgyfu ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 10:24 AM

There is a list of uses on the Curious Labs website. Lots of people do use it professionally - I noticed that the new Subbuteo Finger Football set uses Poser figures (old ones!) for example.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 10:31 AM
Online Now!

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Y&Artist=darrellk

Book illustration is one popular field - here's a Renderosity gallery from one artist I recently became aware of.

Dimensional_Being ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 10:50 AM

Poser is but one tool in my toolkit. I use it in forensic recreation, storyboarding (for video and film), to establish scale in other 3D work, etc.

_dodger ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 11:05 AM

Oh, you mean a living. That's a whole different story then the subject line indicates. But I can answer that one. Load up a plane, scale it to the approximate dimensions of a banknote, export it as a Wavefront OBJect, load it up in UVMapper and apply a planar map to it, then scan in some money and apply it as a texture. Coins involve scaled cylinders and bumpmaps. B^)

Hisminky ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 11:25 AM

I don't make a living at Poser per se. I do, however, supplement my income nicely with it. Poser isn't the only tool I use. Right now I'm working on an illustration project and I use Poser, Bryce, Bodypaint, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, plus pretty much the full gamut of the KPT filters. Anything to get the job done, as it were.

Mason ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 11:48 AM

I also supplement my income (pays most of my mortgage basically) by doing adult content with poser. Not very noble I know but adult sites crave content and will buy anything of fairly high quality and meets their (or sinks to) their standards. This of course means you have to make investments in better models like Vicky 2 and Mike 2 plus clothes, sets etc. Poser is also great for side jobs like any kind of body isntructional material. For example, I did a sheet for a yoga teacher showing various yoga moves and also posted isntructions for a gym on how to use their equipment using poser figures.

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 12:00 PM

I use Poser, along with a lot of programming and specific knowledge, to create academic courseware. (Interactive textbooks.) If anybody actually wants to see my last big project, here's where it can be downloaded. http://www.isu.edu/~seikel/release.htm The whole setup is about 22 MB, so nobody but an academic with a fast Internet connection will find it worth the bother. Nevertheless, this shows that Poser -can- be a major part of serious work.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

lgrant ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 1:06 PM

The setup file at that URL doesn't seem to download right...I get a file called setup.exe.html, which appears to be a page telling me that there is a server error. Any ideas?

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 1:27 PM

Lgrant: I noticed the same problem. For some reason that ISU site isn't working well. If you really want to see the whole thing, here's another location for the same setup: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/occam24 Get into the FIPSE folder, download all the parts first, then run the SETUP.EXE.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

gstorme ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 1:51 PM

Basically, Poser is a TOY. Hope THIS calls for reaction :)

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 2:45 PM

There are some guys who make alot of cash to recreate accidents for personal-injury attorneys. But the most common commercial use for Poser is to make add-ons (like the clothing, hair, poses, motion files, characters etc.) sold at this marketplace, Daz and elsewhere. These add-on items are mostly bought for peoples' personal use as hobbyists, but a small fraction of the buyers later use the products to produce images for advertising, book illustration and accident/crime scene recreation. The items (clothing, hair, poses, motion files, characters etc.) are not always made in Poser, so to make money you also need to be an expert in 3D-modelling apps.

Niles ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 2:46 PM

Just a tool, but even a Hobbiest, can use it turn a buck now and then... as of late for this hobbiest I have been spending way too much money on it. ;)

RawArt ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 2:58 PM

I dont know about using it to turn a profit.....but I use it to balance my addiction by using the money I make from selling textures in the marketplace, with the money I use to buy poser toys from the marketplace :)

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 3:03 PM

I use it for creating previsualizations for theatre folk: in essence, an animation showing what a play will look like long before it actually hits the boards. It's labour intensive, but great stuff in the end.

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 3:06 PM

That virtual audio stuff??? I've heard about you guys! I saw a demo of a similar program a few years ago at a conference where someone showed off the probably acoustics at the Greek theatre at Epidaurus. Is this a standalone piece of software?

compiler ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 3:10 PM

I'd second Mason : sex will get you money. Or, to use the words of Jim Burton's SuperModel Vickie' T Shirt : Sex Sells. At least, that's what I suppose. I'm just a hobyist and have a well paying day job, so I don't need this. But this is surely where I would go if I'd got fired and needed to feed my children. If I was better at modelling, I would make sexy clothes for Vicky. Untalented as I am, I nevertheless uploaded some freestuff. My gymsuit for Posette was downloaded 1700 times, but my sexy impractical swimsuit was taken nearly 5000 times. To support this, a simple test : in the Gallery, post the same picture twice. One with the violence and nudity check, one without and see which one has the most passages. Mind you, I'm not judging anyone : I do not know any 3D pro or amateur who has never done an X rated pic. And this includes myself... I'm just trying to make a point. Hope this gives an answer to your question... Compiler

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 6:34 PM

davo ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 7:22 PM

Between my own websites (www.beyondbent.com and my adult poser products website), and my erotic comics, I pulled in more than 30 thousand dollars last year alone. This does not include the income from the other online stores where I also sell my products. To me, this is just a hobby, not my day job. It's a FANTASIC supplement. So, yes, you can do pretty well with Poser and make money. Davo

Mason ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 7:32 PM

And if you can sell one item in the marketplace for 1 million dollars you're set. Its just finding that one buyer is all.

Mason ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 7:40 PM

Also another avenue is to sell subscription material to several sites. I saw a site that does this. They basically have comic strips (adult ones) that they update. You as a site owner can buy an installment to put on your site as opposed to a subscription customer simply buying and downloading a chapter. Also simply selling chaptered material on CD or download works. You make a serial and people buy the CD with the story. Mostly this stuff requires a certain level of upfront time to create back content so you have stuff to sell when you open. Also be warned that if this is a side business you do NOT want to enter into a deal where you're stuck to drop dead deadlines. Any webmaster who is relying on your material is probably someone to stay away with. I do installments of 5 pages of 1024x1280 comic book style work with at least 5 frames per page, texting, fx etc. Poser's great since it opens the door for quicker, good qaulity artwork to be made faster than hand drawn and a lot less time consuming. Adult sites need content regularly, not Mona Lisas.

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 7:57 PM

Davo, just curious. what's the ratio between products and comics?

davo ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 8:13 PM

for last year, since I was brand new at comics, the income split was 2/3 models and textures, 1/3 comics. The way I project this coming year is 2/3 comics 1/3 models. Hope that helps, Davo

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 8:47 PM

Thanks Davo!

Pinto ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 9:31 PM

bm

hankim ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 9:51 PM

ummmm... there are SOME Poser users who have never done an X-rated pic :-)

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 10:03 PM

...however, the thread's not about making x-rated pics. The methods can be applied to other genre...but mileage will vary.

Greyskin ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 2:01 AM

Go over to Turbo Squid. They are selling products over there for hundreds of dollar. Of course if you go to the origanal artists website or know where to find the original creator you can get it much cheaper. I was looking at the robots that came with poser 3. At turbo squid they are for sale at over $100 each. But at the original creators website they are $25. Noticed alot of stolen stuff too. Why doesn't anyone shut them down?

JohnRender ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 8:36 AM

So, to re-cap: To make money: Use a flat plane prop for bills and a cylinder prop for coins, each mapped with the proper currency. To make a living from using Poser: Make adult stuff and you can bring in $30,000 a year. Or, list high-priced stuff at Turbo Squid. Notice I said "list"... we don't know if the $100 baseball prop or $50 Enterprise mesh have actually sold. I noticed that no one mentioned that "M" word. Dare I say it? Okay... sell your products at the "Marketplace". Start small and then make bigger and better stuff. Find out what you're good at- textures, poses, props, whatever. (Ducking for cover from everyone who thinks that the Marketplace shouldn't be mentioned in the Poser Forum.)

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 11:37 AM

HerInteractive uses poser figures (I don't know if they use poser itself, but I've seen Vicky and the gel hair as well as Tess - remember her?) in their Nancy Drew mystery games. And they do it rather well, I might add.

Caly ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:29 PM

I wish I could make money in Poser myself. The question then becomes, what's the best modeler for Poser figures, or the best Texture-Maker... And how does one even break into the Comics market??

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:32 PM

Those questions are answered in about 2/3 of the other threads, I think. I'm exaggerating slightly, but look around in this and the Poser Technical forum for the ansers to those questions and the arguments that ensue because of religious differences therein.

davo ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:33 PM

I use: Rhino for modeling CorelDraw and Corel Photopaint for texturing UvMapper Pro for UvMapping Occasionaly use Organica for organic meshes Comics? If you mean paper hard copy comics, I haven't a clue, if you mean digital and non-adult, I haven't a clue, if you mean digital and adult, people will crawl out of the woodwork and contact you.

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:35 PM

As for the last question, the one about comics: Write to DC or Marvel and ask for their submission guidelines and samples to pencil, ink, or colour. Or go it alone. If you try the latter -- a very long and hard road that you will probably fail at -- read Dave Sim's Cerebus' Guite to Self-Publishing from Aardvark-Vanaheim Press first. And try to get accepted into the Image group.

_dodger ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 2:00 PM

My tools: 3DSMax 4 to model UVMapper Free and 3DSMax 4 to UVW Map Poser 4.0.3 and the vim text editor (www.vim.org) to build Poser files. Photoshop 5.5 to build bumpmaps, texture maps, transmaps, reflection maps, and JPEG-compressed BUMs.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 2:07 PM

Attached Link: http://www.comic-con.org/

The San Diego Comic-Con is one of the few places where you can have a one-on-one interview with some of the top comic publishers. I have been going to the con for about 10 years - we see people from all over the world coming to the con just to get a chance to show their work. They also have tables where you can show/sell your artwork. Lots of other great stuff too! This year the con will be July 17 to the 20th. Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.