Sat, Sep 21, 2:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: ocean WIP need to add something

paul_carduner ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 10:40 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:40 AM

file_41666.jpg

as the subject says... im missing something and i just dont know what. i tried sticking that boat in but it just doesn't look right. i dont know what else to do. comments and suggestions very welcome

-paul

Claymor ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 10:45 PM

The rough surface of the water is awesome...it doesn't need something stuck in it...it needs a story. Come up with a short bit of story in this setting and I think that will tell you what to put in the pic. -Claymor

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 11:26 PM

Cool! A few things....the perspective is a bit strange, also the wood planks need to be rougher.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 11:27 PM

Attached Link: What you need

What you need is here.

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 11:52 PM

That water is great! I agree with madmax about the planks. Also, I think that something on the pier that's really quiet and still stareing at the brave ocean would make a good contrast. A person, a dog, a bird, whatever. Nice work so far!

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

paul_carduner ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 11:59 PM

YES YES>>> a squid... thats great. i will try some of your ideas tommrow.. nope... the day after. -paul

EthanHunt ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 12:04 AM

Try changing the angle of the boat, it looks too stable in the swell, being pulled down by a squid might look cool too...

paul_carduner ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 12:06 AM

oooh yes... im liking that squid thing. maybe i should just scrap the dock make a submarine model in rhino and stick some squid arms around it... oh that would be cool! thanks a ton

Kylara ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:19 AM

It looks really good except that with such a waves they there should be more foam at the surface. I wouldn't know how to do that realistic in Bryce though. Maybe some 2D touchup?

Kylara ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:23 AM

ohh also... if you decide to go for the dock then make sure not to use worldspace for the texture (unless you rotate the texture somewhat so it does not cross the planks diagonally).

Zhann ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:39 AM

The water is so rough, and the sky so mild, maybe a more dramatic sky, storm sky with some big blk menancing clouds, and some dramatic lighting on the pier...just a thought..:)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:46 AM

Yep, you'd need foam around the pilings. And a bit here and there on the wave-tops. I also think it would be easiest done in postwork. Metaballs with a foamy texture would be pure hell to position (that's why I didn't put foam into my seascape). Maybe you could use a photo texture of wood for the bump map of the pier? Is it one mesh or separate meshes for everything? Finally, what is the texture of the water? Something you've done? I'm trying to do something like that and cannot hit the right colour.

-- erlik

deadman67 ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 2:04 AM

great water what mat did you us things that could be added or removed. 1)truff the boat or what ever it is. 2)mayby add a fishing boat. 3)add a small boy or an old man sitting at the end of the pier fishing. 4)add birds like seagulls or pelicans.

lindans ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 3:03 AM

Agree with all above ........ the water is great

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 4:08 AM

Fantastic water, I'm sure your head is now buzzing with ideas. Cant't wait to see what you come up with. Well done Paul. Catlin

Tintifax ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 5:35 AM

Maybe a distant island?

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 9:30 AM
Forum Moderator

Briliant sea! Try 'dressing' thr pier...rope, nets...anything 'fishy'.............. The Bryster

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 10:56 AM

Maybe have people in the boat trying to reach the pier.

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 11:01 AM

Attached Link: http://www.toucan.co.jp/product/3ds/3dsFrameSetE.html

This site has fish models with textures in 3ds. Shark, humpback whale, tuna, blue marlin, also tropical fish. You could put them in the ocean or under the pier. PS How about a big angry grey cloud in the distance to be creating the waves?

BillyM67 ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 11:29 AM

I agree about the dark cloud. Would help complete the mood more. Also, the idea about roughening up the wood is good, as well as putting a few things on the pier, such as a rope to tie boats with, maybe a barrel or a light pole. Great start though. Love that water. :)

lsstrout ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 12:35 PM

People on the pier watching helplessly as the boat is pulled down by a giant squid? The ocean is incredible! Lin

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 1:58 PM

Roatate the pier so it's not cutting through the frame like that. Turn it so it's almost like you're looking along the pier, not across it.

Andini ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 4:04 PM

Someone may have posted it but I just skimmed through the responses. The waves remind me of a storm though, I think it would look good with a little bit of falling rain and some dark clouds. If you wanted to add more emotion, you might consider adding a person in a raincoat that is IN the boat. Just a few ideas.

Eshal ( ) posted Sat, 18 January 2003 at 3:47 AM

Very nice image I like it a lot...The only thing that I can see that might add some depth to the whole scene aside from adding some objects (ie life forms or boats) would be maybe making the haze a gray of some sort...when it rains there is rarely a light haze off in the distance..the darker colour seems to make a rain scene more cozy/intimate.Darker clouds that have already been suggested are a good idea too. Hope this helps...I'd love to see the final image :) Regards Eshal

I'm a genetically enhanced blonde...what's your excuse? ~Eshal~

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 18 January 2003 at 12:36 PM

Maybe some algae stuck to the pier would look nice. The water looks great (except for the very straight top of the wave directly behind the boat). Maybe the planks on the pier should be a little thicker too. Also if you are going to place anything in the water, make sure you try adding splashes as soon as it looks like it's still missing something. You're getting he hang of it. The waves are impressive.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

DhurakhapalaM ( ) posted Sun, 19 January 2003 at 7:10 AM

how did you do the water ? in bryce or did you modelled it in another 3d program and textured it in bryce ? it's superb ! try to put a floating buoy, and some dark clouds...maybe a few gulls flying...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.