Thu, Sep 19, 6:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / OT

Welcome to the OT Forum

(Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:07 am)

This forum is a place to relax, unwind,and
discuss topics which may not be appropriate for the other forums.

Remember to stick to discussing issues, not members.
Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

We want this forum to be enjoyable for everyone.
Please read and understand the TOS before posting.

Subject: OT: Anyone been to Akihabara?

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 9:15 AM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 5:28 AM

Know of any good guidebooks? Not the usual hotels & restaurants, but a "guide for geeks" sort of thing. later jb

kupa ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 9:46 AM

Enjoy. It's great fun. You pretty much can't miss by just walking the streets and allies. There are formal shops that sell fancy packaged products and then a host of small shops and vendors that specialize in every subcomponent for virtually any gadget you can think of.

My favorite spot in Tokyo? I found a neighborhood of shops that sell the plastic display sushi found in Japanese restaurants world-wide. There were many different grades of plastic sushi, from poorly colored artificial in appearance, to nearly indistinguishable from the real thing. At one of the shops specialing in the very best plastic sushi, my traveling partner purchased a frosty cold mug of Asahi, with beads of moisture on the outside of the glass, a few droplets of trickling down the side, with a perfect just-poured head as well, all in plastic.

I love Japan. Prepare to be amazed.

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 11:06 AM

Thanks Coop! :) I've been meaning to make the pilgrimage to "geek mecca" for years, to walk the streets, but this year my mother bought me a guide book for Christmas, so... The only problem I think I'm going to encounter is excess baggage on the way home :) later jb

daverj ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 11:30 PM

The core part of Akihabara isn't all that large, so it's easy enough to walk around. My favorite part was the rows and rows of small booths that go all the way through one building. There must be a hundred or more "mini-shops", sort of like an indoor flea market. It feels sort of like a couple of tunnels (or maybe that was just because I'm 6'3", which is pretty big over there)

Bobasaur ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2003 at 11:50 PM

I haven't been there since '77. At that time, it was the place you went to get your electronic gear at discount prices (legally). I'd love to go back.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Lyrra ( ) posted Sat, 18 January 2003 at 2:49 PM

to OT forum

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.