Fri, Sep 20, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Following through on my threats: Genesis

Ianfe ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 1:18 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:35 AM

It's a little something I wrote some time ago, but even if it's not very well written, I think it's the best piece to introduce myself: very very short. I'm not sure of how long can the material be in this place. I already got warned for apologizing in advice, and don't want to step on any more toes, lol. "Genesis" Two shrouded bodies twine together in a slight waterfall. The rain falls silently on an empty world, and the bodies grow as lovers embraced. The male form, if sex is to be called upon, loosens his embrace slowly, as if afraid to break his companion. We are alone his message came as a whisper through the water But not for long, my love. Soon our descendants will people the world His smile came as a gap between the drops that fell. And the rain fell, and filled the oceans. And the rain came down and made rivers and lakes, and the earth slid down from islands, and made continents. Somewhere, in the depths of the new seas, a rumble shuddered the earth; a rift appeared, a break in the ground. Warm blood gushed out of the earth, making rock and steam. Yet the clouds moved on, and made rain wherever the lovers walked. These two, apparitions in the air, shaped a future world. In the rage of passion, their cries were made of thunder, their energy lighting in the sky. And one day, when the sun had risen and fallen a myriad times, the Female said It is time as her eyes looked up. And, with a smile, she dropped her lovers hand and was alone. She walked through their creation, an empty sculpture of elements, noticing every crevice, every rise and fall. It reminded her of another place: it seemed familiar, though she knew of no place before this, where she was born. For the first time in the worlds history, a question arose Who am I? in the mind of a living being. Returning to her mate, she said I have learned something, but I forgot it before I came to the world. My love, tell me, where are we from? The Male, frowning for the first time in his life, was puzzled. After a moments thought, he said, I do not know this. How can this be?. In his anger, he tore the skies, and dug the earth, and warmed the winds with his rage. He searched in the depths of the earth and the borders of the sky for an answer, a trace of ancestry. The world was altered, a new landscape filled the earth, no less beautiful, but a mixture of feelings lay on the earth where love had been reigning: anger, fear and doubt lay in the soil, where only happiness and love had been. Finally, he found nothing, and returned to where the Lady waited. I have failed, and I am spent. I love this place no more than I would a rock under my feet. I will leave, and search my home. Will you come with me? I cannot live here anymore To which his mate said, Of course, my love, I shall go where you will and live or die as you will. But we shall miss this place. With that, they embraced, and as they kissed a single tear traveled down the males cheek, and a single tear welled from the womans eyes. Their tears joined the rain, and merged in the water. The lovers left. Where, it is not known. In their wake, a single cell was born from a tear...

tjames ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 6:13 PM

It's not fair to animorphicize protazoan life forms. They don't walk they flagellate or cilliate or treponeme but they don't walk.

mysteri ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2003 at 4:19 PM

Are the life forms protozoan? I didn't get the impression that was necessary from my reading of it. Just because they leave behind (or create) a single cell, that doesn't mean that they themselves are unicellular. What word from Ianfe?

jstro ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2003 at 4:42 PM

Interesting story. I've tried my hand at several Genesis tales as backgrond for SF or Fantasy worlds. It is not easy to come up with a mythos that holds together without seeming silly or contrived. You did a pretty good job of it I think. I wonder if a Genesis Legend would be a good exercise for a challenge or competition? jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

tjames ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2003 at 5:58 PM

The single I "procaryote" disolving to form a single cell "Eucaryote" to people the world, was born in the sea and there is the tear. But the question the procaryote asks where are we from, to give it intellegence is the genisis story. If the procaryote new its union with a female form would create man and woman in its wake would it have done so? Captain Piccard never should have stirred the puddle where life began as Q lauded to destroy the universe.

Ianfe ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2003 at 8:15 PM

ummm... hey, maybe my education as a biologist was acting on my subconscious when I wrote that, but I didn't mean to talk about protozoans at all. I was merely trying to write sf/fantasy mythological genesis tale. I'm glad you guys like it, though. thanks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.