Mon, Oct 21, 4:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 15 1:50 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: emotion challenge to the forum

CrystalWizard ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 10:52 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 12:44 PM

the challenge is to create an image that evokes some strong emotion BUT: no people, animals, birds, or fish are allowed in the image. just inanimate objects, plants, stuff like that. and it has to be black, white and shades of grey. no other colors.

RimRunner ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 11:54 PM

Ooo... now this is different. :) Question on the B&W, is Sepia allowable ?

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

CrystalWizard ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 11:59 PM

no. just black, white and shades of grey

masterinsane ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2002 at 10:47 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=177618

Here is my entry. I did one version in color but here is the B&W version.

screaminbytes ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 1:07 AM

file_5597.jpg

The thinking spot

ivyroses ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 12:59 PM

Attached Link: http://http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=183561

I liked this in color but I really like it as a black & white. Im not used to doing scenery so this was a really a challenge for me.

RimRunner ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 1:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=183561

Got an extra Http in there... here is the link for Ivy's image...

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

RaysOfLight ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 8:52 AM

crystal wizard, you should post a picture yourself, so we get a sample of what you mean this is really hard to come up with something i mean, black and white with people, okay colour with no people, again, okay but black and white AND with no people is really tough :p i mean, you can easily make something like that, but to put strong emotion into that that'll take some thinking i'll be back later, have to contemplate now ;)

CrystalWizard ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 9:47 AM

file_5598.jpg

as requested

RaysOfLight ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 9:51 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i getcha now hmmm, this'll be really hard :p how do you make that hovering mist thing? is it just a 2D layer added on top? i can never get it right i think you should win your competition heheh it's a really evocative image, with the dried-up trees and the graves and mist and all very nice

CrystalWizard ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 9:56 AM

i started with the graveyard. for the second layer, i pasted down the traintracks and then set transparency on the tracks at 50%. for the 3rd layer i took an image i'd shot of some fairly thick storm clouds, then set transparency at fairly low, so it was misty then for the last layer i took a copy of the graveyard, cut out just the few tombstones that were at the end of the tracks and pasted them dow so they show up while everything else fades away. then i merged the layers. Thanks for the compliment :)

RaysOfLight ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 9:59 AM

complexxxxxxx :pppp i'm so horribly hopeless with post work heheh the clouds2mist trick was cool though, i never thought of it you sound really resourceful heheh tell me though, is the graveyard a photo, or did you actually create it?

RaysOfLight ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 9:59 AM

complexxxxxxx :pppp i'm so horribly hopeless with post work heheh the clouds2mist trick was cool though, i never thought of it you sound really resourceful heheh tell me though, is the graveyard a photo, or did you actually create it?

CrystalWizard ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 10:04 AM

everything in that image started life as photos. graveyard, tracks and clouds.

philipc ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 11:32 PM

can you use human bones

CrystalWizard ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2002 at 11:42 PM

yeah, bones would be objects

topgunner1024 ( ) posted Tue, 11 June 2002 at 1:55 PM

file_5599.jpg

Graffiti on a wall in Jerusalem. Photoshop 6.0 and 15 min.

philipc ( ) posted Wed, 12 June 2002 at 11:07 AM

file_5602.jpg

LOST HOPE

tanstaafl90 ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 10:28 PM

file_5604.jpg

Foggy Morning

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 2:31 AM

file_5605.jpg

Well there would have been a body a few frames ago ,but it's under water so i guess this qualifies,...a slight re work of a render i did for the tell a story challenge.Peace,a most powerful emotion

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Knot4u ( ) posted Mon, 05 August 2002 at 8:48 PM

file_5606.jpg

Memories of the swimming hole...

tresamie ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2002 at 9:31 PM

file_5607.jpg

Just for fun, thought I would try to create an emotional feeling in black/white/gray using UltraFractal. The mood I wanted to capture was celebration...fireworks, confetti...

Fractals will always amaze me!

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:25 PM

file_5609.jpg

I think I'll call it "the open door." All bryce with minor post-work in photoshop.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:26 PM

opps, i mean, MAJOR post work in photoshop :)

michsimo ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2002 at 12:09 AM

file_5610.jpg

Is it things gone or things to come

Tonyedit ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2002 at 6:27 AM

file_5612.jpg

"A departed friend." It's been on the main galleries coz I couldnt get it up here. Here I go again...

alightningstorm ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2002 at 3:24 AM

file_5613.jpg

This is the first challenge I have partaken of. The message was clear to me, create a picture in black and white (and shades of gray) that evokes a strong emotion. Well here is something that I feel will evoke something in someone. Created in Bryce with post work in Photoshop.

shyne187 ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 8:01 AM

file_5614.jpg

B&W Treasure Hunters

shyne187 ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 8:04 AM

file_5615.jpg

It will happen one day, its all there in black and white...

jewell ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 6:24 PM

file_5616.jpg

If it's to evoke an emotional reaction, it shouldn't rely on text, so here's my first shot.

_dodger ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 4:20 PM

Okay... I'm going to enter this -- HOWEVER, I want to state first and foremost that I do not in any way support either of the organisations represented in the image I will post. I feel they are both fascistic corrupt forms of government, which is the reason i have represented them like this, together. However, you asked for something at will invoke an emotion with no living things in entirely black and white. Photoshop 5.5, about two minutes.

_dodger ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 4:21 PM

Naah, on second thought, I'm not going to post it. I think it will evoke a little too much emotion.

_dodger ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 4:26 PM

On the other hand with all the nukes in here, I may as well go ahead.

_dodger ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 4:27 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

file_5617.jpg

Don't say I didn't warn anyone. I'm marking this with violence because that's the emotional reaction I expect from people.

_dodger ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 5:07 PM

file_5618.jpg

Here's another, this one a bit milder. I'm calling it 'Numb the pain'

Wolf_2002 ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2002 at 5:05 AM

file_5620.jpg

an oldie i did...but now in black and white...but fits the criteria well i think

BeadedDrum ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 12:09 PM

How long do we have to get our image turned in? I'm trying to work on something that may work in here, but, am still majorly learning, so, it probably won't be as nice as your alls. But, isnt that the whole point in entering these things? To learn? Anywho... just thought I would ask. Thanks....

MRX3010 ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 3:42 PM

file_5621.jpg

*"How soon we forget our pledges. My shame lies not with a particular government, or religion, or country it lies with all humanity, for in the end we are all equals, and one day our monuments will bear mute testimony to our high hopes and blind ignorance."* **X**

_dodger ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 7:45 PM

MRX: I like that one. Though I thought the wording said 'Neverland' and somehow that had more of an effect. Sort of like the idea of childhood fantasies being collapsed in ruin.

MRX3010 ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 10:03 PM

Thanks Dodger thats a good idea as well :o) It all means the same in the end does'nt it? This is a great challenge by the way.

_dodger ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 11:23 PM

Yup. I'm surprised I didn't get flamed for 'going there' with mine, though. B^)

MRX3010 ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 1:52 PM

Dodger: Your work certainly fit the criteria for producing emotional response. Lets just hope that we always have the right to express ourselves through our art.

BeadedDrum ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 8:22 PM

file_5622.jpg

In a time not so long ago, Mother Earth was full of those who showed her Love and Respect. Then there came a time when the People were forced from there homes, forced from there Religion, there own Spirituality, forced from the ways of life that they had known. Now, those times that our Ancestors knew, are Gone....

BeadedDrum ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 8:25 PM

Oh, forgot to mention a credit to MrX3010 for his Tipi package....

_dodger ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 7:20 PM

OOh. Eww. Yup, good one. That twists my stomach in knots.

BeadedDrum ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2003 at 2:38 PM

mine too Dodger, it was actually hard for me to make it. Emotionally that is....}}i{{

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.