Wed, Sep 18, 5:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 5:26 pm)

Subject: max and poser

bifjohnson01 ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 4:39 PM ยท edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 5:34 PM

I have the Propack, but when I go to istall the 3dsmax plugin it won't install. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix for it?

tbird10 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 3:16 AM

From memory there is a problem if your 3DSmax is installed anywhere other than the default directory. There is a fix or workaround for this but I can't remember what it is - check the Curious labs website for a faq

bifjohnson01 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 9:16 AM

Thankyou for your reply. On my computer Max installed directly on the C drive, but not under program files. Is this where it should be? If not should I reinstall it?

tbird10 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 10:26 AM

That will be the problem, you don't need to reinstall max, you just need to make sure the poser pro pack plugin files are in the right directories. I can't seem to find the list from Curious labs that gives the details - If the curious labs website is back, I'm fairly sure it is reasonably obvious to find in the Pro pack faq.

bifjohnson01 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 10:48 AM

Thankyou again. Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what directories are you talking about. As far as I know the instructions for the plugin are to double click the exe. and it should install. I do that and I get a message saying that it cannot find a 3d studiomax installation. I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Poser Propack and installing the plugin from there, but the same message comes up yet again. It's quite frustrating. I just went out to Curious Labs and apparently they are still down or moved or something. Thanks for your help.

tbird10 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 2:12 PM

No problem, the plugin installer is looking for 3DSmax in its default location, you have it in the root C: directory which is why the plugin can't find it. As the plugin installer is quite simple, it can't cope with this. I can't remember whether there was a file you had to download from Curious labs to solve the problem, or if it was just instructions on how to get around it. Now that I have Poser 5, I have got rid of Poser Pro pack so don't currently have the plugin files on my machine. Can anyone say what you have to do? I'll have a look around my old backups and see If I can find what to do. It'll have to wait until tommorrow though.

bifjohnson01 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 9:25 PM

Okay, now it makes sense. Thank you. Perhaps all that I need to do is reinstall Max to it's default location. Although, when I istalled it the first time I don't recall specifying where to place it. As always I just let the program install to the recommened defaults. But who knows, it's obviously in the root C: directory now. I'll wait to see what you come up with before going through all that mess though. I really appreciate your help thank you.

tbird10 ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 5:21 AM

OK, the good news is I have found out what to do, the bad news is that (if you haven't already got them) you need service pack 3 and the patch for the 3ds max plugin, once you have downloaded these, the pro pack plugin installer should find the 3dsmax directory correctly. You then need to check the following. Sometimes the Poser plugin files are getting installed in the root directory instead of the max directory. Simply moving these files into the 3dsmax4 folder could fix this. The setuplog.txt file is added after installing the plugin. It looks something like this, *** Installation Started 10/15/01 13:58:39 *** Product Name: Poser Plugin for 3D Studio MAX Copied File: e:3dsmax4PoserReadMe.txt Copied File: e:3dsmax43DSMAX.rsr Copied File: e:3dsmax4asifont.map Copied File: e:3dsmax4asipzr13.dll Copied File: e:3dsmax4ASIPORT.RSR Copied File: e:3dsmax4ASIFONT.FON Copied File: e:3dsmax4PLUGCFGPoserLocation.txt Added the line 'h:meta poser-pp-sr3' to the file e:3dsmax4PLUGCFGPoserLocation.txt Copied File: E:3dsmax4pluginsPzrFor3ds4X.dlo *** Installation Completed 10/15/01 13:58:41 *** 3DSMAX.rsr asifont.map asipzr13.dll ASIPORT.RSR ASIFONT.FON These files should be moved into the max folder. All of the following must be true in order for the 3DS max plugin to initialize. 1) Poser must be installed 2) Pro Pack must be installed 3) On "Windows" , Poser.exe, Poser.rsr, Poser.dta must be named exactly as shown 4) The Poser directory, or folder, must not have been moved or renamed 5) The Max application must be named 3dsmax.exe. 6) The Pro pack must have been serialized and " LAUNCHED PRIOR " to using the max plugin. 7) Ideally, there is only 1 installation of Poser4 on the hard drive. More steps to beware of: 1) Go to the 3DS Max PLUGINS folder and delete PzrFor3DS3X.dlo if present. 2) Verify the PzrFor3DS4X.dlo file is in this folder. 3) Go to the Max PLUGCFG folder and open PoserLocation.txt. Be sure it points to the folder with Poser.exe in it. If not, correct it and save it being sure to use proper syntax, spelling, spacing, etc. Hope this helps (when you can eventually get into the Curious labs site to download the patch)

bifjohnson01 ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 8:52 AM

If this dosen't help, I don't know what will. Thanks T-Bird you really came through. I'll post back and let you know if I were able to put this knowledge to work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.