Mon, Oct 21, 10:08 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Customers

Welcome to the MarketPlace Customers Forum

Forum Moderators: tim, msansing, ebasham

MarketPlace Customers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 8:34 am)

Contact and Support Information:

To reach our Marketplace staff, please open a support ticket at
support.renderosity.com

Our goal is to respond to support tickets within 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Subject: Opening .EZ files-Episode2 - Here We Go Again!!

Strixowl ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 9:21 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:03 PM

Opening .EZ files #2 Hello Again, On January 14th I posted my first post to this forum. The string was titled Opening .EZ files I tried everything everyone offered. Finally after so much trouble I couldn't even remember what I did it extracted in my Zip Utility. So a few days ago I was looking at purchasing Hmann's Total Hair Complete #2. As I was looking at the product I clicked on the link that reads " Click here to view the readme file for this product." The Download Dialogue box opened and read "You have chosen to download a file of type: application/octet-stream from http//market.renderosity.com/ The symbol for my zip utility appeared in the upper right with the icon for a broken or corrupted file (same as the download in my last post). I clicked save this file to disk. The "Enter Name of File to save to....." box opened with "readmedownload" in the File Name space and *.ez in the Save as type space. It wouldn't let me change the .ez to .zip. I went ahead and saved it as a .ez file and tried for hours to unzip it as a .ez and as a renamed after download .zip. I used three different zip utilities, downloads from other readme links within Renderosity, IE6 with SP1 Update & Netscape 6.2.1. With the same results. I searched all over the web and couldn't find any info on the .ez file type. After becoming quite frustrated I emailed Hmann about other sites he may have his products on (I don't have this .ez problem on any other site where I download zips). He said to talk to you :-) about my problem. In the last string caleb68 on 1/15/03 said .ez was "the script name of rosities download script". I've since noticed that if I type "http://www.renderosity.com" in my browser from "outside" Renderosity I come to your homepage. If I click on the Renderosity.com icon any where within Renderosity the URL for the same page is called "http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez" Notice the .ez. Actually "every page" (that I checked) within Renderosity has .ez somewhere in the URL. Few Examples: http://www.renderosity.com/index.ez http://www.renderosity.com/freestuff.ez http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez Poser Gallery - - http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Sectionid=1 Bryce Gallery - - http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Sectionid=2 Market Place Customer Support Forum - - http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12374 I'm not trying to b__ch I just want to be able to purchase some of the fine software available here (some only here). I run AMD Athlon & Windows XP Home Edition. Please help if you can. I tried EVERY suggestion in the last string and many more. No Go :-)

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 9:37 PM

Are you using some sort of download accelerator?

caleb68 ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 11:25 PM

they have to be, keep in mind MSN8 has a built in Download accelerator. Download Excelerators like GetRight and Gozilla can cause this to happen as well as MSN8 (files to apear as .ez file from rosity). Reason - Your Download Accelerator doesn't know how to handle the webpage. If your using MSN8 don't use MSN8 to download from, use the regular internet Explorer instead. Programs like GetRight and GoZilla have bypass keys for download GoZilla's buypass is holding ALT while clicking the link/button.

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 9:01 AM

Right. There is certainly nothing "wrong" with the marketplace. (Short of being down for the past 11 hours) Nobody else has thins problem, so it has to be on your machine.

Strixowl ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 12:37 PM

In response to caleb68 as I said above I have tried with IE6 with SP1 Update & Netscape 6.2.1. With the same results. It dosen't happen on other sites. As I said above I've tried everything mentioned in my last post. Including holding down the ALT key while clicking the link/button. If I do click it with the ALT key held down it won't even open the download dialogue box. I realize that nobody else seems to be having this problem because I don't see anyone else voiceing the problem or the solution which fits my problem thus far. Does anyone know if there is a away to check if my dowloads are coming through a download accelerator? This is a brand new PC & I've never used XP before. Could it be in XP Home Edition rather than one of the browser(s)?

caleb68 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 4:11 PM

nope i use xp home, both oem and standard xp home. the oem versions i have are emachine, hp and dell.

Strixowl ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 5:25 PM

The oem version I have is emachine to - - Do you have the SP1 Update installed????

caleb68 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 5:36 PM

yeppers, SP1 and all the little security fixes sense then

Strixowl ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 5:49 PM

Damn!! I'm stumped :-(

caleb68 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 5:54 PM

perhaps you have a file assication made up to the .ez file type? that could be one possibility that would override the default actions.

Strixowl ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 7:04 PM

I checked in Control Panel/Folder Options/file types and one of the zip programs I used was associated with it. I deleted the association and still have the excat same problem. Good try :-)

caleb68 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 7:30 PM

theres another spot that sometimes things get stuck into far as download... ugg... i can't remember I think it was clintH who helped me resolve a issue i had awhile back with downloading merchant reports, it'd basically be the same thing... Clint? was it you that helped me with that?

ClintH ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 7:45 PM

Maybe. :) Not sure. This one has me stumped as well. There are a few things I always suggest and they fix 99% of the problems. 1) Open Windows Explorer and Select Tools. In the Tools window select the File Types tab. Locate the "ZIP" extension and highlight it. Then select Advanced. Actions should be set to "Open". Confirm After Download should be checked 2) If on a PC you must use: IE 5.5x Netscape Navigator 6.x Netscape Communicator 4.7x If on a MAC you must use: Netscape Navigator 6.x Netscape Communicator 4.7x But I dont think those will resolve this. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Stormrage ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2003 at 10:48 PM

hmmm i know net 7 downloads files as .ez I just rename the extention from .ez to .zip and they work for me. and no no download accelerator here. just plain netscape being a pain.

KattMan ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 8:24 AM

EVERYONE HERE IS WRONG! You don't need to open that file. Heres how to get it for real: Click on the link. Download page opens to download the .EZ file. Choose to open not save. Second download window will open asking you to download the actual file in .ZIP format or whatever format the file is in. Save that one. I have this problem with IE 6.0 but it is easily solved using this technique. I realized it when I saved an EZ file and opened it in a text editor to see what it actually was. Now I hope eveyone can stop talking without trying out thier solutions, and this gets strixowl back into the fray.

ClintH ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 8:45 AM

Interesting. I'm running IE 6.0.2800 and dont have this problem. Hmmm Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Strixowl ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 1:24 PM

Sounds good Kattman, but it dosen't work on this end. If I click 'open' WITHOUT a default zip utility associated with zip files the next box says open with, I select my Unzipper, the name shows in the Unzipper with a .ez file extensionand won't deal with it be cause it's an "invaled file type". If I associate zip files with my zip utility and open that way my utility opens and I have the same results as before. Urrrrgh!! Wish it was as simple as you said.

KattMan ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 2:56 PM

Ok your problem is that you associated EZ files with your zip program. You need to remove this and have them associated with IE. This will open the EZ script, of which this actually is, in IE and execute it to download the actual zip file.

KattMan ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 3:02 PM

Maybe one more piece of clarification. EZ files should be opened with your web browser, not your zip program. SO if you are having trouble associating it, try the open with and use IE. Your error is in still trying to use your zip file to open these, that of course will not work because it is not a zip archive.

Strixowl ( ) posted Sun, 26 January 2003 at 11:04 PM

Kattman, it seems you get the prize. I gues when I installed the Zip Utility it associated the Zips with it. At this moment and I checked a good number of times, readme's open as .txt & zips as zips. Hope it stays that way. Thanks everyone!!

KattMan ( ) posted Mon, 27 January 2003 at 6:43 AM

No problem. It just irks me when I read answeres that I know are totally wrong and everyone else follows. Granted I know it is hard to diagnose a problem you aren't having and that can cause confusion, but oh well. At least you are back up with the rest of us now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.