Sat, Sep 21, 5:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: *Possible* Virus Alert

bast ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 9:11 AM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 7:50 AM

Hey guys, this may or may not be a hoax, you all use your own judgement... the alert is out of the FAA and Nasa, for what that is worth (where I work). "VIRUS ALERT: If you have received email with the Subject: ILOVEYOU please DO NOT OPEN IT! You should delete it immediately. Other information will be made available as soon as possible. "

Schunken ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 9:27 AM

In germany is a general warning broadcast in the radio and TV newsflashes, too, so I think its not a hoax. Andreas

LoboUK ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 9:54 AM

I work for a (major) Telecoms company and an inter-office e-mail has just gone around about exactly the same thing. So I guess it is probably genuine. Paul

Vraylle ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 10:04 AM

It is...we've had to deal with it at work today. As usual, the "virus" is an attachment that must be run to infect your machine. A childish VB script actually, that looks like it was made by a ten-year old.

ohman ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 10:31 AM

How lucky I am only running Netscape :o) /Ohman

visque ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 10:32 AM

The company I work for has it. We don't know when our E-mail will return. (Making my job that much more exciting). Visque

picnic ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 10:44 AM

A friend called me this morning to tell me his company's system was down and while he was on phone to company in Texas, their email there went down. I'm tough on people that send those virus hoax mails--always sending them to several 'hoax' sites to learn how to check them out (along with 'urban myths', chain letters, etc.). However, I just received one in the mail myself, deleted it immediately, but I'm sure some others may open it inadvertently. No problem even with OE if you just DO NOT open it. Diane B

ConsoleCowboy ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 11:22 AM

Ok.. just got this from ABCNEWS.com. The virus IS real, it's widespread in europe (as of early this morning) and is creeping into the US. It's particularly bad for the 3d arts community becuase it intentionally goes out and searches for jpg images and replaces them with a copy of itself. (doh). It uses the smae tricks as the melissa virus by sending itself to everyone in the microsoft outlook address book. (good deal I use eudora :P ) For more information check the ABCNews news story at: http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/DailyNews/virus_000504.html - Console Cowboy

STORM3 ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 11:45 AM

The news here in Europe is that it also has a Trojan Payload that appears to send passwords to a central internet site. It also appears to rename files on your system. Apparantly it was released first in Manilla by a well know virus maker called Barak (?spelling?). It will now be spreading over the USA. In Europe businesses have been badly hit. Apparantly comes as a email "I Love You" with an attachment. DO NOT open the attachment. Delete both.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 12:44 PM

Yuck. I think the parasites that make these programs are worse than the Spanish idiot who was selling meshes.

polartech ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 12:51 PM

If you`re already infected, follow this procedure: Search your harddrive/s for these files: love-letter-for-you.txt.vbs mskernel32.vbs win32.dll.vbs If you find ANY of these delete them. This will remove the virus. - The script is also programmed to find and rename/destroy mp3 music files as well as images.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.