Thu, Oct 3, 12:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: "Insufficient disc space for current render"

LanceB ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 8:18 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:20 PM

I get the "Insufficient" message when I try to render scenes >2000 pixels. I have a 2 Ghz machine with 2x40 GB hard drives and 768 MB RAM running on Windows XP. It seems to do larger renders when I first open the program and worsens with subsequent renders. I can make a higher resolution render of render 1 than I can with render 7 for example. It's the same problem with Poser 4 and 5. I've tried cacheman without any success. I would like to do renders at close to the Poser max around 4000 pixels. Curious Labs tech support gave up, any ideas?

rogergordian ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 8:23 PM

Windows XP (virtual memory) and Poser are competing for space. My easy fix was to put Poser on a different disk than Windows XP> I still get that error, but only rarely. The fix then is to defrag the hard drive. You can try resetting your virtual memory. I am too shy to fiddle with that.

LanceB ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 8:30 PM

Thanks Roger, I already have Poser and XP on different drives but defragging may help. Is anyone out there consistently successful at doing 3000 to 4000 pixel renders without getting the dreaded "insufficient " message?

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 9:01 PM

Increase your VM. And you should see about increasing your ram. If you run the performance monitor while working in Poser, I suspect you'll see it use way more than 750m of memory.

fls13 ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 9:36 PM

Take a look at memturbo @ www.memturbo.com Worked like a charm for me and I have a very borderline system.

rogergordian ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 10:26 PM

I really wish you'd told us that you had Poser and Windows XP on different drives. It doesn't feel good jumping in to provide advice when all the facts are not known. I stand by my own recommendations. I have been getting by just fine with only 512MB of memory. I won't touch any of those memory utilities. How often do you defrag your hard drive?!

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 10:35 PM

I have to say that I get by on 512 ok too, but when watching the performance monitor, I see Poser often go up to a gig, which means its using the page files in Win2k a lot (and the HD runs). I too have Poser installed to a different physical drive as my OS. In fact, I have two OS's on the C drive on the same partition (ME and W2K pro). I installed P4/PP in the ME system and just linked an icon in Win2k. Works just fine for me. (I only installed P5 on the win2k side, and have not tried it in ME). So I think my system is probably a bit more convoluted than yours and since Poser works fine on a different physical drive with a different drive letter, I'm not entirely sure that this is the problem. But, XP is a different animal. What tips me off is that you are making some very large renders and as such, need some computing power to do so. The 2g cpu should be fine, I have a 2.1 amd. Aside from your system having a different OS, and more ram, we are running similar setups. I thought XP prompted for a swapfile increase when it was running low. It does at work with various programs, though I don't use poser at work. Well, all that said, I guess I have to agree with rogergordian. I don't think the purchase of ram is the problem. I'd look elsewhere and defragging is a good place to start.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2003 at 10:42 PM

Oh, one thought... Can you make a permanent swap file, not one managed by win but a definite block of clusters? All the other win OS's allow this, I would presume that XP can too. Then use Norton to defrag because Norton will put the swap file in a contiguous block. This way your swap file is not spread all over your hard drive and likely not going to be fragmented. The realy problem comes in when the OS has to deal with a swap file in different locations of the drive that may not be in synch with the drive's interleave and may end up fragmented. By putting the swap in a contiguous block, you avoid all that.

SWAMP ( ) posted Mon, 03 February 2003 at 12:35 AM

.."It seems to do larger renders when I first open the program and worsens with subsequent renders".. Lance,this is very common with Poser. When you find Poser slowing down,just save your work...close Poser...wait a min...reopen Poser,then render away with no problems. SWAMP

EricofSD ( ) posted Mon, 03 February 2003 at 1:24 AM

swamp, that sounds like a memory leak.

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 03 February 2003 at 5:22 AM

Yes, it sounds exactly like a memory leak. Poser's fault, not your OS or swap file. The being able to do it when you open the program but not later is the clue.

Pinto ( ) posted Mon, 03 February 2003 at 9:30 AM

I have the same problem with XP but it seems tied to Poser Temp files trapped in Norton's Recycle Bin. The temp files are generated during rendering and not flushed properly. I even have Norton's turned off but for some reason they still accumulate. I have to dump the recycle bin between renders or I can't get anywhere. Very strange, but it works for me. Might check for files in your recycle bin. Pinto

rogergordian ( ) posted Mon, 03 February 2003 at 10:13 AM

There is no indication that LanceB has Norton Utilities or Norton SystemWorks. Heck, we don't even know how much free space is on the hard drive in question, or whether LanceB defrags the hard drives, etc.

queri ( ) posted Mon, 03 February 2003 at 1:53 PM

Use Curious Labs official Memory fix: The following is copied from their tech FAQs. It doesn't hurt your computer and I've used it every time I've worked on an XP with Poser on a separate drive from C. Sooner or later that 'Insufficient memory" tag comes up-- defragging and the rest works for awhile. This works permantently. I post this message sometimes once a week sometimes once a month-- it really should go in the Back room as a resource since I can't even make it to CL site on a regular basis now Emily Poser 4 Poser can't render high resolution images. Error appears "Insufficient disk space to render" After some intense investigation we believe we have a work around. It turns out that Windows NT 4, 2000 and Windows XP must be using some space for the pagefile.sys file on the same partition that Poser is installed, to render large images. The pagefile.sys is the virtual memory or temp space for Windows. An approximate minimum would 10 MB. This amount might have to be increased for more complex scenes and animations. The maximum should be 10 MB or greater. To modify the Virtual Memory: Windows NT 4 = Right Click my computer. Click the performance tab. Click change. Click the drive Poser is installed on. Enter 10 in the Initial size field. Enter 10 or more in the maximum size field. Click set. Click OK. Click OK. Click OK. You may have to restart the System. Windows 2000 = Right click My computer. Select the Advanced tab. Click Performance option. Click Change. Select the drive Poser is installed on. Enter 10 in the Initial size field. Enter 10 or more in the maximum size field. Click set. Click OK. Click OK. Click OK. You may have to restart the System. Windows XP = Click Start. Right Click My Computer in the menu. Select Properties. Select the Advanced tab. Click Settings, next to Performance. Select the advanced tab. Click Change. Select the drive Poser is installed on. Click the Custom size button. Enter 10 in the Initial size field. Enter 10 or more in the maximum size field. Click set. Click OK. Click OK. Click OK. You may have to restart the System. Poser will now be able to render up to its maximum size of 4090 pixels x 4090 pixels @ any resolution

rogergordian ( ) posted Mon, 03 February 2003 at 9:37 PM

If you read the other responses, we've already mentioned that fix. Of course, the thing that I can't get past is this sentence: "After some intense investigation we believe we have a work around." When will they actually KNOW if this is a good fix?! Or at least rewrite their response. Again, my fix(es) work. And they don't involve nearly as much hassle.

queri ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 12:02 AM

Sorry, after reading all the posts I still don't see this mentioned-- maybe it's called something else. As for CL, they never rewrite anything-- the Eula being the exception that proves the rule-- their first statement on the fix will probably stay the same forever. Besides, for all we know, none of the people who found the fix are still there. I'm glad your fixes work, this was really no hassle for me to do. I don't like messing with the system either -- in fct, I really hate it--but the fixes you tried finally quit working for me. Defragging didn't help me. My poser 4 was always on another drive. The first time it posted this error was right after a defrag. The second time was after a reboot. The only reason I posted this in fullest form is that for some people this will help. It helped me on three different computers. I certainly mean no offense to any different approaches. And I wish you well. Emily

rogergordian ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 6:38 AM

My first response echos Curious Lab's recommendation. However, I was not offended at all by your response: "Windows XP (virtual memory) and Poser are competing for space. My easy fix was to put Poser on a different disk than Windows XP> I still get that error, but only rarely. The fix then is to defrag the hard drive. You can try resetting your virtual memory. I am too shy to fiddle with that."

Pinto ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 9:39 AM

rogergordian, I have a gig of ram. I have Poser on a separate drive from XP, I defrag and I used CL's solution, but I still get the error! I'm interested in everybody's thoughts on this. Pinto

rogergordian ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 10:05 AM

The amount of memory (RAM) isn't really a factor as much as your actual free hard drive space. So how much free space do you have?

Pinto ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 10:28 AM

23gigs free on the Poser drive. Pinto

Nance ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 11:50 AM

Also just watching to see if there's any pattern or if anyone comes up with anything new. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Pinto. XP, 1Gb RAM, 1.5Gb pagefile, 86Gb free disk space on C:, with with Poser on a second drive with 90Gb free. Defragged & done all of the above, and still get stuck with the Insufficent Memory to Render blah blah message occassionally. Only thing I've observed, and could be coincidental, but seems to occur only when I've got another CD in the drive. I've just been rebooting with minimal startup apps (no Norton, no ZoneAlarm) until it clears up.

Pinto ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 11:59 AM

Nance, have you checked your recycle bin to insure that it is flushed? I can render if mine is empty, but have to flush it after each render if they are anything over a minimial size. Pinto

Spit ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 4:10 PM

And of course there's always another possibility that isn't a stranger to Poser users. The error message could be wrong. Probably not, but just a thought.

queri ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 8:18 PM

Pinto, are you running Poser 4, Pro Pack or Poser 5? I finally had to switch my Poser 5 back over onto C-- much as I hated to do so, because of multiple problems. I can't remember if this was one of them-- it may well have been. And I had 16 gigs of free space. On C I have around 50 G. I don't know what made the difference. But it's sorta running all right now. Has been for weeks on C. I am starting to have some more slow downs and probs now. I ran Poser 4 for a year on an auxiliary FireWire drive with over 20 Gs free. No probs-- except the normal bugs and excessive angst over libraries that were way too full. I do have 2 G RAm and I used the memory patch to access that. 5 just was unhappy on an auxiliary drive, period. Emily

Pinto ( ) posted Tue, 04 February 2003 at 8:54 PM

Poser 4. I have V5, but decided not to even open the box after the reviews. Pinto

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.