Mon, Sep 9, 5:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 6:48 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: OT - Humor

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 10:00 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 1:13 AM

"So tell me, Mrs. Smith," asked the interviewer, "have you any other skills you think might be worth mentioning?" "Actually, yes," said the applicant modestly. "Last year I had two short stories published in national magazines, and I finished my novel." "Very impressive," he commented, "but I was thinking of skills you could apply during office hours." Mrs. Smith explained brightly, "Oh, that was during office hours."

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 2:27 PM

Hmmm, do you think she got the job? J

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 2:37 PM

I'm thinking not somehow. But if she keeps getting published, maybe she doesn't need the job afterall.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 5:02 PM

Good point !

Tanialmeida ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 8:23 PM

i like her honesty ;0] and i hope she has become now fully independent with her art!

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 10:10 PM

Hey, how did my last interview get in here? lol

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2003 at 9:01 AM

"i like her honesty"

Actually, I'd like to learn her techniques on doing all that stuff behind the bosses back!

![turkey.gif](http://www.chuck-n-michelle.net/images/turkey.gif)  Sure, you can strive to fly with the eagles but turkeys don't get sucked into jet engines.

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2003 at 9:14 AM

Oh, Chuck, it wouldn't be that hard. All those people typing away on computers....do you really know what they are writing? Unless a company puts security tracking on their systems (and I know some do), they really don't know what the person is doing. I wonder how many novels have been written during quick breaks between assignments? Not that I ever did that. Love your turkey.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2003 at 9:20 AM

Yeah, I guess it happens. I sneak stuff in at work sometimes, but my computer screen faces the opening to my cubicle and my back faces it, too. So, people walk in on me all the time!

One reason why I don't browse the Poser gallery !

PS: Glad you like the turkey! Thought I'd try to differentiate my responses with a signature block. After all, the actual meat of my response seldom stands out...LOL

![turkey.gif](http://www.chuck-n-michelle.net/images/turkey.gif)  Sure, you can strive to fly with the eagles but turkeys don't get sucked into jet engines.

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2003 at 9:29 AM

LOL! I know how that goes. One of our clerks has his monitor turned so far around that he can only see it by an abnormal twisting of his neck. Don't we all know what's on the screen probably isn't confidential but personal? It's too funny.

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2003 at 3:15 PM

I've been tempted to write at work, but I get asked questions all the time, so it's too distracting. I also need to say lines out loud, get up and try certain moves to see how to describe them, etc., and I really don't think it would go over too well with our open cube environment. ;-) Nice turkey, Chuck. Will we see it after November? ;-)

cambert ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2003 at 7:52 AM

There's a story about the computer system in Whitehall - the heart of the British government's civil service - crashing badly some years ago. Something seemed to be terribly wrong with the storage capacity; it had been designed with space for many more years but somehow it kept running out. Extra capacity was added, at great expense because this was back in the days of mainframes. The whole thing ground to a halt again. Were the saving formats wrong? It didn't make sense that memos and reports could take up so much file space. Long rounds of experimentation showed that they were fine. Then one of the techies had the idea of checking what all these files actually were. A huge (and growing) majority of the file space was taken up by part-written novels.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.