Tue, Oct 22, 12:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 14 4:51 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Putting some thought in

tjames ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 5:12 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 8:02 AM

There is a trend to poetry where one word is supposed to be the whole line in a stanza. I feel thet this shows the poet doesn't know what a sentence is and should write a vignette or two to remind themselves there is a limit. The short style like any other gets tiring especially fnb (fish in a bucket depressing stuff)Where is something new. Is that what you wanted to say...

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 12:31 PM

Agreed! With whole heart and entire soul! While it can sometimes be fitting, the use of a single word in poetry -- or prose, for that matter -- as a stand alone requires either a form that demands it specifically or, more usually, a weight of symbolism and depth of force that is built up before or after it, to give it meaning and depth beyond the conventional; otherwise it becomes an exercise that leaves the reader bereft of usefulness for the poem, and that, beyond all else, is a crime. What good is a poem whose value exists only for the writer? (A far sight less than the already low value placed on them already!) To share verse requires that the writer remember not merely their own experience, but that that effort they put so greatly into their craft has a value to others beyond their experience, and that they are the vessels of interpretation. While there is nothing wrong with writing poetry just for yourself, there are far too many "would be's" who's work is unreadable because they fail to understand their craft wholly, and what it is to be a poet. Which may be why I write so little shared poetry. But then, I have always looked on the craft of writing as something which is meant to be shared, and if it cannot be, then it is merely exercise of the mind (a noble endeavor on its own, but not necessarily one to inflict on an world filled with those most vile of creatures: the uneducated critic). Conjure, evoke, explain, and confer, but do it in a manner that gives the reader an accurate image. A single word can have far too many connotations in it within English for it to truly be of value without weight equal at least to a number of words equal to its length in letters. Hee hee. Don't ya just love arbitrary rules?

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.