Mon, Sep 9, 5:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 6:48 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Spirits Down

jstro ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2003 at 11:00 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 12:03 PM

Spirits Down J. M. Strother Financial gloom. The bears still staunchly hold the street. So many hopes and dreams lost. The market down. The news again; Anguished streaks of white cross the sky. Seven brave souls lost. Columbia down. Chicago, then West Warwick. Mace, fire, smoke choke out the night. So many innocents lost. Nightclubs down. War looms. Right or wrong, I cannot say. So many opportunities lost. Spirits down.

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 21 February 2003 at 11:24 PM

So true, Jon. So sad, and so true.

tjames ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2003 at 8:51 AM

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf? Big bad wolf Big bad wolf Who's afraid of the big bad wolf? Na na na na na It's the first quarter... I say let the stock prices fall then I can get the stocks cheaper. It's the third quarter that I worry about.

jstro ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2003 at 9:44 AM

Yes, stocks are for the long haul, so they say. Unfortunatley many people retire in the first quarter, and the stock market has changed many of those plans. There has just been so much gloomy news lately, a combination of all the things I mentioned and more, that I think it is starting to weigh on the spirtis of the nation. At least amoung the folks I talk to. It is the winter of our discontent. jon

~jon

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2003 at 10:08 AM

I get an overall feeling that many have lost confidence. After seeing that my retirement fund has been underfunded for years (the City contribution that theoretically was being made wasn't except on paper), and the mismanagement of City funds (from the inside), I've zero confidence in the politicians at the City level, zero confidence in my financial manager (who gave me advice that caused me to lose money the last two years just like everyone else--I know he had no control over the situation but it shakes my confidence), and, frankly, I'm not overly confident that they know what they are doing in Washington D.C. and some world leaders seem to be crazy, so I don't have much hope for world peace either. It all gets to be draining. I know there are people who manage optimisim despite the news, and I have one friend who keeps her happy attitude by not reading the paper or listing to news casts, but I can't function that way. When I see the environment degrading, the amount of violence in people, the lack of a moral compass (breaking laws, lying, cheating all seem to be okay as long as no one is watching) I really wonder if there will be an earth for the next generation to inherit.

But then, each species has its time. The dinosaurs ruled for a very long time. Perhaps it is time for the insects to take over. I'm betting the next milleneum sees cockroaches in charge.

jstro ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2003 at 10:14 AM

I wrote a short story once, a long time ago, where the cockroaches inherited the Earth. Come to think of it, considering the politicians we now have running things, maybe it's already come to pass. ;-) jon

~jon

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2003 at 10:16 AM

LOL! Definitely in my town. At least I can say they bug me.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2003 at 7:42 PM

Roaches are overrated. Mammals are still on board -- next up are the Rodents. Beady little eyes, sharp teeth, nekkid tails, and just the right amount of adaptability... Stuart Little is an advance wave. No, really! Why, several of my cellmates have been explaining this in great lengths to me. (Most of the smaller ones are afraid the capybara will hear about their work over here and claim it for their own...) Of course, ultimately, anything that does sneak past us as supreme will have to develop the proper brain capacity, develop proper dexterity for tool use, gain that strange and unique quality that makes for willingness to self experiment... become us, more or less (apologies to RAH) ... and into the thickening night and dreaded dusk does my world go...

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Crescent ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 11:12 AM

jstro - I like the way you tie those events together. Although I'd heard of each one, I wouldn't have thought of a commonality between them - besides being bad news. As much a cynic as I am, I don't think that the human race as a whole has gotten worse, there's just more of us, so more opportunities for the jackasses of the world to screw over more people. There's always been psychopaths, but now there's lots of new toys like Anthrax and a target rich environment. In a town of 500, when people start disappearing, it's noticed quickly. In a town of 500,000, who notices a few missing people? If you're in charge of a company with 20 people, you know your employees, so it's harder to justify screwing them over. With 2,000 or 20,000, what's a few peons to you?

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 11:23 AM

I don't know...each peon is a real person, with a life and family. Is it so hard to remember that we are working with human individuals instead of a mass. If the people in charge dislodged themselves from behind their desks and walked around working spaces to talk to people once in awhile, it would make a huge difference. The only time a politician comes to one of our departments is if there is a press event. They haven't a clue what we do. And they don't care. They've made that clear...they don't care.

Charmz ( ) posted Sat, 08 March 2003 at 7:44 AM

In my humble opinion, the only way to 'make' an honest politician is to strip him/her of title and monies and force him to live with the common folk. Those who scramble for the day to day and the hand to mouth. Perhaps then government would be by the people and for the people. Ok rant over. Look tragedy in the eye and find the gift it brings to us.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.