Wed, Sep 18, 12:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:34 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Keyframe Assistance

jgesq ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 8:47 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 12:51 PM

Am learning and gnashing teeth at the same time.

In P4/5, I have a 30 frame animation where I have a figure jumping in the air and landing. I set beginning, middle and end pose. Poser 'graciously' sets in-betweens but elements (feet/ hands/ arms) will wildly fly out in an attempt to fill in the gaps.

I'm starting to play around with the different types of interpretation (Linear, Break Spline, etc.) but am unsure where to begin.

Do I:

A. Break the spline after a pose or before?
B. Use Linear interpretation to avoid these wildly over-emphasized in-betweens?
C. Break down and weep?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

JG

Bongo ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 11:12 PM

I usually use linear, and then where there is a problem, I'll adjust the pose and set another key frame there. Basically, just add more key frames. Also make sure IK is off and set limits is on.

jgesq ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 12:29 AM

Thx. Bongo! Will commit this to memory. JG

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 10:14 AM

this kinda sounds like my first animation problem. I too is trying to learn animation feature in poser 4 pro pack and let me tell you the tutorial in p4 guide with the walking clown sucks butt. I tried to follow the tutorial but starting with Vicky 2 character and when she walks it seems it takes her 4 frames to move down that long walk path. however if i turn the skip frames off she moves at 1 motion every 30 seconds it seems. Also a problem with the tutorial in the P4 guide and in the Poser 4 hand book I bought it suggest to leave IK on so after reading these post now im even more confussed.....:-( Dark_Raven

Bongo ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 5:43 PM

walks it seems it takes her 4 frames to move down that >long walk path. however if i turn the skip frames off she >moves at 1 motion every 30 seconds it seems you're not going to see an animation at the proper speed until you "make MOVIE" - which is the rendering for an anim.

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 5:18 PM

Yikes well hmmm that dosent really make alot of sense. It would seem more reasonable to be able to see how its going to look before you wait 2- 6 hours for the movie to make then to discover hey wait a minute that dosent look right. anyways thanks for the tip Bongo. How about I give you all my idea for what I want to make and you guys make it and just sit back and wait for the finish product...lol j/k im sure I figure it all out sooner more likely later but practice makes perfet right? (at least we hope) Dark Raven

jgesq ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 7:41 PM

Dear Dark Raven, There are a lot of variables. You can render out as a low rez movie at half size with your settings on display to see a very quick version of your movie. The number of frames, the size of the files, the number of textures all have a bearing. Not too mention the speed of your computer. JG

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2003 at 4:04 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH im getting confused okay here is another maybe stupid question but i need to ask it How do you know how many frames to set for you animation, I mean it starts out with a defualt of 30. I mean in the poser user guid they give this equation Frame Rate X Duration = # of Frames. Then for there example they used a man going from a sitting position in a chair to a standing position. They calculated the time it takes to stand at 3/4 a second so the equation was 0.75 X 30=22 frames to complete the action So dose this mean I should do every action one at a time then after the first action is done like standing up from the chair which used 22 out of the 30 frames, then say I want to make him walk away, so do another calculation and add additional frames or is there a better way to calculate the total amount of frames you need to complete a scene.. hope that wasnt to confussing

jgesq ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2003 at 4:32 PM

Well, first you must decide what you are animating for. The web is best served at 12-15 fps. Broadcast at 30 fps. So lets say you want to have a man sitting and then standing and then walking. Sitting might be two seconds. Standing perhaps another two seconds before he makes the decision to walk. If you cut here to another angle you can animate the walk seperately. If not and you want to have him walk out of frame for four seconds, you combined total is:

Sit = 2 secs + stand = 2 secs + walk = 4 secs for a total of 8 seconds. Web x 15 fps = 120 frames. Broadcast = 240 frames. Key frame your animation using Linear Motion (see Help or Manual) and use the Walk Designer for your walk out. Tweak as required. Position camera. Render Low rez. Watch. Tweak again. Render Low rez. Confirm. Render Hi- rez.

Hope that helps.

JG

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2003 at 7:07 PM

lol well I kinda makes you lost me at the calculation Web x 15fps =20. I dont know what the Web Part of the calculation means? Yes I do want to eventually make my little animation to be viewed fromthe web so I guess to set the frame rate to 15 i do that in the animation setup correct? Basicly all Im really trying to do is get the feel for it so basicly I created a figure unfortunatly I already hi rez her and added clothes shoes ect to her so I dont know how much that is going to effect everything anyhow, all im trying to do is get my character to walk from one side of the screen to the next. Im really struggling on setting the walking motion from the start position then when to figure out where to set the next keyframe for when she moves one foot in front of the other then when to switch them back. Then once I achieve that I can adjust other motions such as head movement expression ect. sorry if my question are makeing me seem difficult but I really am a nice person and appricate your guys help.

jgesq ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2003 at 8:38 PM

Use the Walk Designer for this animation. Refer to your manual for more info.

Bomac ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2003 at 6:35 PM

Dark_Raven, I think when jgesq wrote "Web" he meant "To calculate for the Web, multiply "Total seconds" by 15 fps. In other words; For the Web = 8 (seconds) x 15 (fps) = 120 frames. For Broadcast = 8 (seconds) x 30 (fps) = 240 frames.

Hope this helps.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.