Wed, Sep 18, 12:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:34 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Trying to Learn Animation In Poser 4 What the hell is a BVH?

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 12:58 PM · edited Fri, 09 August 2024 at 12:24 PM

for the past few days I been playing around with the animation features in P4PP and have been reading this fourm and see the term BVH and how it can speed up and make animations easier or somthing can someone explain this to me in laymens terms please. Also can anyone give me some good tips and pointers on how to learn animation in poser even tutorials would be great, not ones that teach you to make a ball bounce up and down but ones that can be useful and relevent to say making a animation movie or something like having a character open a door, punch something or someone ect ect those kinds of tuts can be useful anyways thanks for your helps Dark Raven

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 10:30 PM

Basically, BVH is a motion-capture file format. Studios that specialize in this technology strap sensors onto performers and record their movements. This motion data can then be applied to 3D characters. It usually creates more realistic results than manually posing the characters, keyframe by keyframe.

BioVision's .bvh format is one of the industry standards, and Poser can import these files for use with Posette, Michael, etc.

This Poser animation, for instance, uses a .bvh file which was recorded from a real dancer:

Sabrina Dance Studio (MPEG format, 1.37MB)

The trick is to find the mo-cap file you need. Some are available for free on the 'Net; others are sold here in the Marketplace, at DAZ and Turbo Squid, and other places. The motion capture hardware itself can be purchased for private use, and the mo-cap studios (House of Moves, LocoMotion, etc.) can also be contracted to record custom motions, provided you can afford it.

But even if you have the perfect motion file on hand, you'll likely need to make some small adjustments within Poser to fit your scene. So learning how to keyframe your own animations and effectively use the animation graph is still essential.

geep has an excellent animation tutorial in the Poser forum, which teaches the basics of the interface.

You might notice that Poser can both import and export .bvh files. If you manually create your own animation for a figure, you can save it to .bvh format and share it with others. Poser's pose files (.pz2) can store motion data, also, but they only work within Poser. .bvh can be used in a variety of programs.

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 5:14 PM

thanks little dragon see now this was more informative then what I found in the P4 Users Guide if you know any other good tuts or info to help me please let me know thanks buddy Dark Raven

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.