Thu, Oct 3, 1:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: The Unofficial CR2 Filespec is online!! Check it out, critique it, make better

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 1:33 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com/cr2_ufilespec.html

After several weeks of collection information from various sources and several days of major typing, I have put the Unofficial CR2 Filespec online - 20 pages of details and information about the CR2 file including new parameters and sections introduced by Poser 5. Only with the assistance of you, the knowledgable at Renderosity, can I fix the missing, inaccurate, and out-right incorrect information (such as several GetStringRes() tables not found anywhere). I really want this to be a definitive reference to everyone who uses Poser and needs to know the internals of the CR2 file for either editing or parsing. Thank you very much! :) Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

KattMan ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 5:51 AM

Haven't read through the whole thing, might do that over the next few days but what I have seen so far looks excellent! I noticed the credits and glad my autopsy was of use building this, though due to the layout and the precise explaination I;ve seen so far, your write-up may supplant my autopsy as the place I send people that have questions.

Luthoricas ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 9:34 AM

Awesome. This is something that will be VERY useful. Might there be a "printer-friendly" (all on one page) version in the future? Or perhaps a zip version? Kudos and many thanks for making this available.

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 10:51 AM

Excellent work. How about a PDF to satisfy the print-friendly?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

dan whiteside ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 12:52 PM

Thanks! What a great resource, especially for folks that need to occasionally hack a .cr2 and can't remember a lot of the syntax (like me). Ziped HTML or PDF would be nice. And maybe a linked table of contents to the main sections? On last thing that I've always been confused about - isn't the Mac different in the way it handles Caridge Returns and (or?) Line Breaks? And if I'm not totally imaging this, maybe that info should be in the Basic File Structure section? Best- Dan

dan whiteside ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 12:56 PM

So sorry - just saw the zip/sit downloads on the first page - and that should be "Carriage Returns" :-)

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 2:07 PM

I didn't see any credit to Anthony Hernandez, who wrote a similar description a year or two ago in the Poser yahoo tech group. Does this mean you didn't use any of his text? And yes, Mac OS doesn't use DOS linefeeds; they show up as "gremlins" in BBEdit. But be fair: Poser is only a marginal Mac hobbyist-type app, since CL dropped support for Mac OS in P5 and since almost all the vital Poser utilities have no Mac versions (except Martin C and JimX, vayan con dios). So I wouldn't worry if there are a few Mac gremlins.

maclean ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 3:02 PM

Looks like an excellent resource, and one that's much needed. I'll have to find the time to sit down and read throught it all. Thanks a lot for making this available. mac

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 4:17 PM

Thank you all for the kind words (and very useful information)! :) As you can see, I have made the HTML version available for download. As for a PDF, let's wait until it's more "official", maybe tidy it up a bit, and then that can be made available as well. Already I have unadded information that modifies some of the major sections (to be more flexible and accurate). Although the Mac only uses Carriage Return (Windows/MSDOS uses Carriage Return+Line Feed) to end a line, for the format itself, it is really inconsequential. For parsing, as long as you skip all whitepace, including line feeds, you can be certain to catch the EOL as a carriage return in both formats. Nonetheless, to be complete, a note on these differences can be added to the Basic File Structure especially since many of the CR2 (and other Poser) files are in Mac format. mateo sancarlos, no, I haven't seen it. Only been using Poser for about 10 months, so I'm still new to the whole scene. If it weren't for the many links to Kevin Rose's work, for instance, I would have never been able to find it on "The Wayback Machine". Again, thanks! Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

maclean ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 7:00 PM

kuroyume, You can find Anthony's cr2 document in the poser 5 handbook. It was only available as a technical doc from CL, but then they added it to the manual. It's at the end ; Part 11, Appendix B. If you have trouble getting it, I have the .doc and can mail it to you. mac

BeatYourSoul ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 8:51 PM

Okay. Then I've already been using it! :) It is somewhat brief, but helped alot in making sense of the basic Poser file structure. Thanks, maclean. Kuroyume

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.