Thu, Sep 19, 11:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: A choice between two monitors --- would you share your opinions?

Doublecrash ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 9:52 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 5:57 AM

Hi all. At last, I'm on the verge of buying a new PC. It's a matter of days, now :-))) I'm uncertain about the monitor. I have two options: - a NEC MultiSync V921 19" CRT for 224 euros or - a LG Goldstar L1510 S 15" LCD for 390 euros I would really go for the CRT, not only for the difference in price (this is important) but also for the difference in size (19 against 15). But I keep on hearing that CRTs are doomed. What would you suggest? The quality of the LCD is superior, I know, but the difference in the viewing size makes me uncertain. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Stefano

boblaprime ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 10:27 PM

If you plan to use your new machine for any gaming, 3d animation, or video, the CRT will give you the best bang for your euro. The rise and fall times of LCDs is not even close to a CRT. The LCD might look better with still images but try scrolling a web page or a document with lots of text and you will see what I mean. Also, try video or a 3d game. You will see ghosting as the pixels get turned on and off. Scrolling text will leave trails and video or games will look blurry. The LCD has advantages as well. It uses less power and takes up less desk space but can you live with the smaller size?

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 10:27 PM

If money is an issue, go for the 19", and in a year I doubt the price will have changed too drastically, you can always sell the 19" to offset the price of purchasing a new monitor. At least then you won't have the price of the PC piggybacked with it.

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 10:37 PM

The 15" LCD will have about the same viewable area as a 17" CRT. If you got the desk space, I'd go for the 19" one.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

kennyliu ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 10:50 PM

Hi Stefano, I suggest you consider Sony or ViewSonic. Sony will be the first choice, however, the price...; ViewSonic is not bad all, and its price is resonable. I won't suggest you NEC for graphics design. It's color is not as good as Sony or ViewSonic (I used three before). I recently upgraded my monitor to ViewSonic 22" (CRT), and I'm quite satisfy with it (price and quality). LCD, you have to pay a lot to buy their display quality as good as CRT. I prefer wait till their price drop :D Glad to know you're going to upgrade you pc finally :)

kennyliu ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 10:55 PM

By the way, monitor the bigger the better. you won't regrad what you invest. 19" or not nothing (if consider the budget issue)

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 11:25 PM

I've heard some good things about NEC. Goldstar - didn't they used to make hard drives? Right now I'd still get the CRT.

tresamie ( ) posted Wed, 12 March 2003 at 11:40 PM

I have a 19" MAG Innovision and love it. I was working with a 15" Old One of my own, and finally decided I just couldn't see well enough to fractal...so I got this on about 6 months ago for about $150. Its bright, stable, and can fill my entire field of vision if I get 8 inches from it! Go for BIG!

Fractals will always amaze me!

Claymor ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 12:37 AM

"doomed" is a relative term my friend...nothing in the hardware industry lasts for more than a year to 18 months tops before something better comes along. (Usually even shorter than that.) Get the big one..it's cheaper and it'll put less strain on your eyes.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 1:49 AM

Actually my old CRT hurt my eyes far more than my current 17" apple pro lcd. It has almost no ghosting...and runs games sharper than my old CRT. Not to mention the footprint size....I'd say if you are buying a CRT buy a damn good one. Or else maybe start looking around at lcds for the future.

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 1:54 AM

Oh also lcds tend to be better for graphics fort three reasons: 1. You can see individual pixels easier, no more accidental "misses" when trying to work in photoshop. 2. LCDs are easier to calibrate. CRTs may require special hardware and software to calibrate correctly. 3. CRTs sometime tend to fade in the corners. Not a problem if you buy a good one...but beware a cheaper one might fade quite quickly.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 1:54 AM

When I upgrade my 17" monitor, I'm still going with a CRT, they still have a slight edge on color accuracy over the LCD's. (for now) `Course, this also depends on how much money you spend, but in my budget of around $400 USD, It's easier to stick with a great CRT with accurate color, IMO. I would suggest the 19" CRT, you couldn't pay me to go back to a 15" screen. Far too small.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 1:54 AM

at least that's why i personally like them better.

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 4:51 AM

And in support for madmax's point 3): LG is not the top dog in monitors, either in CRTs or in LCDs. Although the low price of the NEC also makes me suspicious. What's the working resolution and refresh on that one? Should be 1280x1024 at (minimally) 75Hz. Maximum resolution is usually supported only at 60 Hz which hasn't been acceptable for years.

-- erlik

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 5:16 AM

Argh. Dem rushing. It should read: In support of AgentSmith's point ...

-- erlik

cambert ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 6:37 AM

I've been doing the same comparison recently and there's just no contest, as far as I can see. Go with the CRT for now - LCDs are way more money for way less monitor at the moment. LCDs are great for office functions, hopeless for graphics.

Doublecrash ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 9:26 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, they confirm what I already had in mind (considering also the budget problem): I'll go for the CRT. Erlik, here are the specs of the NEC 19": Max Res 1600x1200 at 76Hz; optimal res (recommended) 1280x1024 at 89Hz; DotPitch 0.26, Horiz Refresh 31-96 kHz, Vertical Refresh 55-160Hz. I too was a bit suspicious about the low price, but really they don't seem so bad. Again, thanx a lot for your opinions. Stefano

Erlik ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 2:41 PM

that sounds like a good monitor.

-- erlik

Doublecrash ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 7:07 PM

Yep: ordered! :-) Now it's only waiting time... Thanx again to all who have thrown their 2 dollars (you know, I simply can't value your opinions so low as 2cents...) :) Stefano

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.