Fri, Oct 25, 9:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: CinePaint for Windows finally released.

PunkClown ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 5:22 PM ยท edited Fri, 25 October 2024 at 9:28 AM

Attached Link: Cinepaint

AgentSmith was kind enough to post this in 2D, I thought it might be of interest to some of the Photography forum members as well, so I have replicated his message here (as I am far to lazy to retype the whole thing) :-)> Free & about a 4Mb download. AgentSmith ----- CinePaint is a free open source painting and image retouching program designed to work best with 35mm film and other high resolution high dynamic range images. It is the most popular open source tool in the motion picture industry -- used in Scooby-Doo, Harry Potter, Stuart Little and other feature films. CinePaint is used for painting of background mattes and for frame-by-frame retouching of movies. CinePaint is available for Linux, Macintosh OS X, Windows, and other popular operating systems. The extended 16-bit color range of CinePaint appeals to 35mm cinematographers and professional still photographers because film scanners are capable of greater color bit-depth than can be displayed on a monitor or can be manipulated in typical programs. However, CinePaint is a general-purpose tool useful for working on images for motion pictures, print, and the Web. CinePaint supports many file formats, both conventional formats such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and TGA images -- and more exotic cinema formats such as Cineon and OpenEXR. CinePaint is free software. The generosity and commitment of its developers, users and sponsors make CinePaint possible. -----

Misha883 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2003 at 8:46 PM

Thanks, PC, I'll have to check it out. The whole open source thing is making great strides, and people are making money at it, but it absolutely defies our conventional economic thinking. I'm becoming quite a fan of linux, and its applications (like GIMP). But truthfully, have not seen that much interest from the "artistic" community. May only be for Geeks, as yet? I can do most photoshop things with the free GIMP, but usually fall back and use Photoshop.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2003 at 12:15 AM

Btw, CinePaint, is just the new name for FilmGimp.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Trinitonesounds ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2003 at 11:35 AM

I should try out CinePaint. I thought it was only for video and not for still photos. Right now, I use GIMP 1.3 and really like it.

JordyArt ( ) posted Fri, 14 March 2003 at 1:27 PM

Damn - sounds promising, but even at just 4mb it's a pain in the ass to download on modem... might try though! (",)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.