Wed, Oct 23, 2:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 8:47 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: .rsr Files missing

DanaanD ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2003 at 11:35 PM ยท edited Wed, 23 October 2024 at 2:23 AM

Ok,,I have a problem. I have an .obj file with no .rsr file and everytime I try and load it up in poser4 with pro pack, nothing shows up. Is there anyway to fix this or is there a way to create an .rsr file for it???

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 6:41 AM

There are two sorts of RSR:- Poser creates the RSR in the Geometries folder automatically the first time you open the item - if it isn't doing that, it must not be opening the model properly. If you have ProPack, there's no need for an RSR in the library folder; the thumbnail is a PNG file. Either way, you can generate one by saving the model back into the library palette with the same name.

evilded777 ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 8:54 AM

I think what EnglishBob is really saying is that the lack of .rsr file might not actually be your problem. What version of Poser are you running and what is the item you are trying to load? The only time I have seen this sort of thing is when the obj was incorrectly referenced in the cr2 file or when I had forgotten to convert a pcf file to an obj. e.d.

DanaanD ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 8:59 AM

ok,,I'm running Poser 4.03 with Pro pack and what it is are poseable clothing,,,aka some Garments by GG, 17th cent. gown and Fantisy gown and I installed everything as per the inclosed instructions but nothing happens,,,I get the parameter dials to pose the figure for all the body parts of the object but I don't get the object on my screen.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 9:19 AM

If the object isn't visible but you can select the body parts, I take that to mean that they are all present in the drop-down list below your workspace, and that you get no error messages? That in turn would imply that Poser found the OBJ file ok. Can you see the "outlines" of the clothes if you move the cursor around in your workspace? If so, you might want to check that everything is set to visible in the hierarchy window... if not, has it just come into the scene in an unusual place? I dimly remember something about invisible figures in Pro Pack... if it doesn't come back to me, maybe another member will refresh my memory. :-)

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 12:20 PM

I seem to remember that this sort of behaviour can happen if you are using external geometry and the rsr in the geometry folder gets corrupted. The fix for that is to delete the rsr (the one in the geometry folder NOT the one in the library sub-folder ), Poser will build a new one next time the thing is loaded. If that does not work perhaps there is a problem with the *.obj file. Try importing it directly via "File>Import>Wavefront OBJ", If that works it's probably OK, if not get on to the supplyer.

DanaanD ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 3:36 PM

no outlines at all,,it is completly invisable when it is loaded. even tried pulling my scene very very very far out to see if it did just land someplace else and nothing,,,I didn't even get the good ole boxed when I tryed to move it around via the x,y,z Trans dials. Checked hierarcy and everything is lit up to where I should see something,,,not sure what is up,,but is seems to be doing it with my stuff that I have from GG. maybe it is something that they do,,,I can import the obj file and it shows up fine,,but I can't move it, pose it, or change anything on it then it's like it is totally frozen when I do it that way.

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2003 at 9:04 PM

Yes the object file will be frozen when you import it that way, that was just a test to see if the object file is ok. It now looks like the OBJ and CR2 are both working. I suspect a mismatrch between the object refference in the cr2, and the actual position of the object in the path. Open the cr2 (I'm assuming it's a cr2) in a text editor and check the 2 "figureResFile" lines. They should point to the place where the object file is stored (note that ":" = "" if you are using a PC). If the path in the cr2 does not match the location of the object file, either change the location of the object, or edit the 2 object refferences in the CR2 to point to the actual location of the OBJ. BACKUP THE CR2 BEFORE MAKING ANY CHAINGES.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 4:00 AM

In the end, I just had to download the 17th Century gown for myself so I could see what was wrong. :-) The readme says to put the OBJ here: C:Program FilesMetaCreationsPoser4RuntimeLibrariesCharacterGG'sGarments There are two reasons this might not work, if you really do follow these instructions to the letter. First, if your Poser 4 came from Curious Labs, the MetaCreations bit will be wrong; second, it should be librariescharacter - Poser is CaSe SeNsItIvE when it comes to folder names. What you should do (if you haven't already) is create a folder within your existing Poser4Runtimelibrariescharacter folder, and call it GG'sGarments. Then put your OBJ in there. This is free stuff, so I shouldn't be moaning about OBJs in the libraries folder and what happens if you use Poser 4.03 without ProPack, nor Zip files with no path information in them, nor readme files in Micro$oft Word format, nor misleading information in said readme file... slap Sorry, I feel better now. :-|

DanaanD ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 9:14 AM

Thank you both every much I will work with this info and see what I can get going...oh and mine is a metacreations verson of poser 4 LOL with the updates and all of that...will try both of these solutions and see what happens,,ty for your help.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.