Mon, Oct 21, 11:02 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: ADMIDS !!! virus warning in freestuff!!!

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 8:12 AM · edited Sat, 19 October 2024 at 11:20 PM

When something called internet washer tries to download and change my registry it's a virus in my opinion. pauljs75 ought to be BANNED!!! Admids please check the humv thing free download by pauljs75 My adwatch caught it and showed me what it was trying to change in the registry settings while it was trying to do an auto download. Marque

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 8:13 AM

Hum-Dinger SUV (Misc.) For Commercial or Non-Commercial Use Add-on Item Notes & Requirements By: pauljs75 Mar 18, 2003 PC/Mac 27 downloads

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 9:37 AM

Well, while web-washer may be annoying SpyWare, and it does attempt to edit the registry, so I'm in agreement with you as far as it being a nastey...It is not a "virus". Also, the file is Not located in the freestuff you downloaded. It is probably embedded in one of the equally annoying Aggelfire pop-ups. Because I just downloaded it without any problems. Then again, I have all Angelfire Pop-ups Blocked from ever even being allowed to load. It is unlikely that Paul even knows it was there.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 9:50 AM

If it downloads a product I don't ask for, and it attempts to change my registry, it is a virus...sorry, that's the way I see it. If I didn't have my blocker up it would have changed my registry, and I ended up having to uninstall a program that I did not request, even though I thought I caught it BEFORE it finished installing. Not acceptable. He may not know about it but he is now aware of the problem and I will leave it to him to deal with. I'm just now weeding out the last crap I got from a freebie, thinking that no matter how nice they look, maybe it's time to stop downloading them. Marque

Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 10:04 AM

I looked at the files on my computer and didn't see anything that had web washer in it. I also looked at the html for the page and didn't see anything that would trigger it. I'll put a note in the Mod forum and see if any of the other mods get the same problem you had. Thanks for the heads up, Cres

Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 11:24 AM

Two other admins ran the file and didn't find a problem, either. Is it possible that another file caused the problem? Another possibility is that the file had been compromised, and pauljs realized it and uploaded a clean copy later on. Thanks, Cres

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 11:49 AM

Hw do I block all Angelfire (and similar)pop-ups from ever even being allowed to load?

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 12:15 PM

I use ad aware and it has a program with it called ad watch. www.lavasoft.de Thanks for checking it. Marque

Netherworks ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 1:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.proxomitron.org

Anthony - Also check out the Proxomitron. It's a freeware web filter. Works well.

sandoppe ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 1:34 PM

None of us should have to install "filters, blockers" and the like to protect our computers from this stuff. I always thought that Renderosity was one of the places I could trust to get safe stuff. Renderosity needs to take a strong stand on what people put up for download.....I don't give a rip where they post it. Guess my Norton ad blocker goes on! Too bad.....I suspect there are some sites I won't be able to visit, but I don't have the time to mess around deleting crappy spyware.

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 1:55 PM

sandoppe, deleting spyware doesn't take much time at all. Spyware/adware are a reality of the 'net. I agree that we shouldn't have to deal with this stuff, but unfortunately that's an overly idealistic view. As you probably know Renderosity proper isn't hosting FreeStuff items. It's not their fault that there are sleazy bugs out there. So far as I know the only thing Renderosity does is use a harmless cookie which makes it easy to log in. It's absolutely worth your time to obtain something like Ad Aware (the basic version of which is still free.) Running it once a week or so is a great idea. It only takes about five minutes on my massively jammed HD. If your computer is well-protected by Norton, Ad Aware, and a good firewall (e.g. ZoneAlarm, Black Ice Defender,) then you can surf and download without worrying. Sorry if this is too basic for you, just wanted to encourage people to realize that the small effort it takes to defend your machine is well worth it.

sandoppe ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 2:23 PM

Ya xoconostle, I know.....just ticks me off is all :) I don't blame Renderosity...just so much they can do. It's just a shame that people can't enjoy the internet without some sleezeball trying to take advantage and forcing us to have to run a bunch of crap on our systems to stop them. I've always believed that if you have a product someone wants, you don't need to resort to sleezy methods to sell it. About two weeks ago, I installed Norton Internet Security for the anti-virus and firewall...the firewall to stop the abuse of Microsoft Messenger....and by God it works! Some a-hole in China....like clock work....every week tries to send one and gets blocked. I have now turned on the ad blocker that also comes with Norton Security for both ads and pops. We'll see how that works.

Roy G ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 3:41 PM

Makes me wonder why Netscape and MS don't build "block Pop Up" right into the browser. I mean, how could they not see the demand for this? Microsoft Messenger... I had to remove because it turned into a Spam Tool. And now a days, I block most cookies by default.

sandoppe ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 3:52 PM

Probably because both Microsoft and Netscape use "pops" themselves :) One hand washes the other in the case of this marketing business. Look at all the business it creates for Symantec and the rest. I had the same "spam problem" with Messenger, but didn't want to turn it off as it does some legitimate tasks under XP. Norton has stopped the spam that was being created by those who exploit it....for now :)

who3d ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 6:08 PM

"If it downloads a product I don't ask for, and it attempts to change my registry, it is a virus...sorry, that's the way I see it." I COULD say that 'if it has four legs then it's a rat and I'll shoot it!' but that won't make me either right OR popular with local pet owners.

Renegade572 ( ) posted Wed, 19 March 2003 at 11:59 PM

I would like to know what version of adware has a ad blocker. I have 5.82, which is probably way out dated. Also, Opera has a option to refuse popups. It great. www.opera.com.

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2003 at 12:46 AM

It's in the Pro version.

Puntomaus ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2003 at 2:37 AM

Attached Link: http://www.xpantispy.de

*but didn't want to turn it off as it does some legitimate tasks under XP*

It is not needed: I've run XP Antispy and deleted all the crap M$ put into XP and it works fine. Messenger is just a spy and spam tool, nothing more.

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

mickmca ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2003 at 8:59 AM

I think Phoenix and Mozilla have a block popups switch too. Opera also has a switch that puts popups in the background. Of course, AOL's Netscape and Uncle BIlly's MSIE don't block popups, any more than they prevent any of the other invasive crud they themselves use. MS eventually will have a way to block any except their own, and they will rush to our rescue.

Renegade572 ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2003 at 9:03 PM

Yeah, MS will come up with a way and that will cause another vulnerability we'll have to patch. :O)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.