Thu, Oct 24, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: tft moniters

delboyo ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 12:54 AM ยท edited Sun, 20 October 2024 at 9:30 PM

can anyone suggest any makes/ models of flatscreen monitors to go for, im about to build a computer dedicated to photography and would like to save on space and with so many to chose from i need advice.
thanks
del

nplus ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 1:56 AM

If $$$ is not an issue, I would go with the line of Apple cinema displays...one of the best ones out there right now, but very expensive...supprise supprise, it's apple. you can use them on pc's too. a company called formac makes a less expensive version of the apple monitors using the same parts but a slightly different casing. for photography, get as big of monitor as possible, preferably one that is not some cheap ass discount warehouse model. This is so that you KNOW what is inside and can make a reliable calibration profile for it. whatever you get, enjoy!

DHolman ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 5:36 AM

I can't recommend a specific model, but I will offer this one tip...if you can, buy from a local vendor and make certain that you can return the monitor if there is a bad pixel - if you can, test it at the store. Nothing would suck more than to plunk $500-1000 for a LCD monitor and then have a pixel out (some manufacturers/vendors will only replace the monitor if there is a specific number of bad pixels (like 3 or 5) or pixels out in certain areas (like dead center) or combintion of the the two). -=>Donald

ficticious ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 11:20 AM

the colour accuracy of tft monitors still don't match that of a good quality crt monitor.... but if you have to get one, I'd recommend going the Viewsonic route. if you want the biggest, they offer a 9 megapixel monitor, 23 inches i believe, and 204 pixel per inch dispay. that kinda beats the standard 72 and 96 pixel per inch areas... but you'll need a good 10K for it.

JordyArt ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 2:42 PM

Well, when I upgraded my pc back end of last year, I bought a 'cheap' 200 tft....and to be honest it beats the hell out of the expensive ones we use at work.... I can't say I've got a single complaint about it. Sorry, Slynkster, but I'd say it's totally down to personal preference - having used tft exclusively in work situations for the last 3 years, I used to find coming home to my crt a real bitch - and it had a flipping brilliant picture compared to any of my mates - I couldn't go back to one now. (",)

ficticious ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 3:24 PM

my 19 inch samsung flat screen does the job for me... I just find flat screens (be it lcd or tft) to be touchy when it comes to colour display. Sitting at different angles will make your eyes see dfiffernt tints and sometimes even different hues, while a good quality crt gives generally no worries. One of the major things about the monitors is that CRTs, especially my 19incher, are phucking huge. People like me, you see, happen to love the fact that they weigh a ton and look like a monster ready to gobble you up. Still, when it comes down to it, crt monitors pros are as follow: lower cost for larger models, accuracy in colour display, and faster screen refresh rates using identicle resolutions when compared to thin screen models. Cons: bulky size, not as nifty to look at (unless you paint it camouflage... heh heh). In terms of the "brilliance" of the colour displayed, I always found it to be "glossier" to my eyes. Really saturated and whatnot, always seemed overdone to me In the end, when doing photo, the brilliance of the onscreen display means nothing. It's getting your display and printer to match up properly that matters. In the end, I, personally this is, do not feel that a thin screen tft monitor's price tag is really justified. They look all sexy and such, but I'd prefer to get a larger high quality CRT monitor, and use the extra cash I save to buy a nice as hell Radeon 9800pro or Matrox Parhelia (for that nice 10-bit per channel colour setting in photoshop, can you say not millions, but BILLIONS of colours?). thin is in, but crt has more cushion for the pushin' i say.

ficticious ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 3:25 PM

when i say "flat screens to be touchy", I was refferring to tft flat screens, not crt...

derick ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 7:32 AM

At work i'm on a Sony Multiscan (Trinitron) and at home i use a Dell. The Sony is so nice but it's huge. would'nt everything come down to your video card anyway. sure a nice big monitor is important but with out some extra video output it doesn't matter what kind of monitor you get. but it all comes down to personal preferance and requirments. I know i didn't answere your question but just added to your delema. Good Luck.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.