Fri, Oct 25, 7:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: nikon d100 or cannon d60

deza ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 12:14 PM · edited Fri, 25 October 2024 at 7:27 AM

i hope im doing the right thing,im selling my nikon f80+sigma 28-200 and my soul to buy one of these digital cameras but not sure which one to go for, advice would be greatly appreciated. deza

Michelle A. ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 12:40 PM

I would bet that both cameras are pretty much the same......I was a loyal Canon user for years before buying a Nikon system. Both companies are reputable, both are good. So I will not say one is better over the other. An important issue to consider..... the lens system you currently own. Since you already own a Nikon camera, the lenses you are using for your F80 will work on the D100. If you buy a Canon the lens mount is different, you will need to buy new lenses to work with this camera. Lenses can be a pricey investment...... If I were you I would keep the Sigma 28-200 lens and buy the D-100. I would also try not to sell the Nikon SLR, it's a good camera and it's always nice to have both (film & digital) Why not just take a little more time in saving money for the D100.....I'm sure prices will be dropping again...they always do......

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

Rork1973 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 1:39 PM

If you are on a 'prosumer' or higher level (as Alpha usually calls it), there's no alternative on the 35mm front than Nikon and Nikkor lenses. (or at least having the ability to use nikkor lenses with your body). Every brand has it's pros and cons, but Nikon is still one of the most professional, durable and flexible brands out there. Hey, even Mario Testino uses an older Nikon 6x6/6x7! ;) Maybe the difference isn't as big/noticable with digital shooting, but for me personally cannon lenses are just not good enough. But I gotta say that Michele is quite talented, so she could even make a Zenitar seem like a good camera ;)

Rork1973 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 1:42 PM

And yes, with '35mm' I meant the system......btw, I read that some wide angle Sigma's are giving a slightly small image on digital cameras. Anyone know if this is true ? (nothing big, but just a small difference with a 35mm frame)

Trinitonesounds ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 1:45 PM

I haven't used either, but I've been looking into getting a DSLR. Here's a couple good reviews I found: http://members.cox.net/d60-d100/Review.htm http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ Prices of the D60 are dropping like crazy right now due to the new 10D being released with more features for a lower price. Quite the crazy market. Michelle made an excellent point about Nikon lenses, and like the first review said, there's alot of high quality Nikkor glass out there available for use. For myself, I'm probably going to wait a bit longer for prices and get either the D60 or new 10D. /kurtis

Mike_Panic ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 1:53 PM

Attached Link: mikepanic.com v3.0 updated 2.19.03

y even consider the d60? get the eos 10d - its a better camera, better frame and 500 bux cheaper

zhounder ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 3:08 PM

I have to agree with Michelle, stick with the lenses you have. Also if you can keep your film camera do it. I have a Nikon N6006. Its heavy, loud and completely diferent than my Sony DSC-F707 but I use both constantly. I only post digital because I have a so-so scanner (Epson 1200). Once I upgrade the scanner to a slide scanning version you will see my film work as well. But to be honest, I love the lenses on the Nikon and the ease and conveniene of the digital. To be able to combine them both, I would be in pig heaven. Magick Michael

DHolman ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 3:10 PM

In my mind, if you have good glass already on your Nikon, then I'd just sell the Nikon body and get the D100. If, however, it's only mediocre glass, then why spend that kind of money on a DSLR body and put only so-so glass on it if you can afford to get better? That make sense? In that case, either one with good glass is a tremendous setup. Hard to go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Backing up what Kurtis and Mike are saying. The D60 is no longer manufactured. It was replaced by the 10D. $500 less ($1499 street is what it debuted at) and they added some very nice features to it: -instead of a plastic body it has a magnesium alloy body -added ISO 1600 and 3200 (D60 only went to 1000 I believe) -improved autofocus -added a shade white-balance preset to the 5 that the D60 has -white-balance bracketing (that is sweet stuff) -image parameters extend farther (like contrast, sharpness, saturation, tone) -Can use media as Fat16 or Fat32 (so it can go beyond 2GB) unlike the D60 Can you tell I've been studying/drooling over the 10D? :) -=>Donald

Rork1973 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 4:18 PM

I agree with zhounder......a gold old n6006 beats most cameras that are for sale at the moment, including digital (check out the old reports on photo.net) :) And it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

deza ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 4:28 PM

confused not me! im taking all your comments onboard. much appreciated. out of interest the cannon 10D here in the uk is selling for 1499 thats 2,360.05 USD. deza

ficticious ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 5:10 PM

-ficticious clings tightly to his nikon N2000, and lets out a blood curdling scream "GET AWAY!!!! BACK! BACK I SAY!!!!!"-

Trinitonesounds ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 5:32 PM

y even consider the d60? get the eos 10d - its a better camera, better frame and 500 bux cheaper

@Mike - I wouldn't by a d60 new, and am still considering it because the prices are all over the place. People are practically panicing trying to get rid of theirs for as much as they can. Today, I just looked for used prices (here in Canada), and they're anywhere from $1400 to $2900 CDN. Just need to sell some music stuff first...

BTW, credit for one of the links I gave goes to Mikes forum site.
/kurtis

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.