Sat, Sep 21, 3:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: May seem stupid, but....

Kurka ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2003 at 3:56 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 1:01 PM

I'm trying to create an object with a mapped texture and a mapped transparency mask. The transparency tab doesn't have a tab for transparency images. Where is it? Thanks. -Nando.

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2003 at 4:00 PM

Easy way is to look at a leaf texture and see how it's done. it's there but it's hidden a bit. Look at the tutorial for the road sign and see how it's exactly done. Page 264 of the book.

Kurka ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2003 at 4:07 PM

The object I'm planing on using is not an alpha plane, though. Let's say I want to make a hole in a wall....

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2003 at 6:31 PM

Oh well than you can't do that with transparency. You have to use Boolean functions to do things like that. There is a tutorial to on how to make something like that. Page 255 of the book. This is the only way to do it with meshes. barring making the mesh in some different progam but even then it will probably use this method unless it can extrude complex shapes. Remember if your making a house say you need two cubes one for the out side and a slightly smaller one for the inside to hallow it out then windows and doors will cut out the solid wall letting the light shine in. It's all done with Boolean functions.

kongorilla ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2003 at 7:23 PM

Kurka, what you want (bitmap transparency) can be achieved by:

Under the transparency tab, turn "global transparency" to a value other than 0%. You'll probably want it at 100% transparent. This will make "variable transparency" available (it was greyed out before). After turning variable transparency on, go to edit function (right click on the sphere that appears). Under "kind of layer", change it to "mapped value". Click the button "Picture", and select your bitmap.

Hope that's what you wanted!

Kurka ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2003 at 9:32 PM

file_53237.jpg

I created a dome and planar mapped it. Next, I created an alpha plane in vue and assigned the texture and mask. Then, I copied the material and pasted it into the dome. I just duplicated the dome, and sized the duplicate. Works.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.