Wed, Sep 18, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 3:46 pm)

Subject: Its sad but......

Replicant ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 5:37 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 6:57 PM

Its only in the past two or three weeks that I have realised, from various posts and replies, that I am in a community that encompasses many of my own generation. (47 next week)
It is with enormous regret that I am forced to announce my inabilty to cope with a screen res of 1600x12000 anymore. 1280 x1024 is ok but I feel like I'm lookin' through a telescope. The time has come to bite the bullet and finally pay my optician a visit that has already ben delayed by two years.
I can no longer function with my nose two inches from the screen.
Gimme some support guys!!!
I'm goin' in!
Look forward to seeing you all a bit more clearly soon.

Expert in computer code including, but not limited to, BTW; IIRC; IMHO; LMAO; BRB; OIC; ROFL; TTYL. Black belt in Google-fu.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 5:44 PM

Yeah, get some new eyes, Replicant. And a bigger monitor wouldn't hurt, too. :) Good luck with the eye test; I've been wearing spex for reading and artwork for a number of years, and I'm a youthful 43. :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 5:47 PM

I'm with ya, bud! I've got an appointment next week for new contacts and my first pair of reading glasses. Maybe my work will improve when I can actually see it! Good luck, and the may the price of larger monitors drop.

geoegress ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 5:49 PM

yup me to :) 46 last week 21 inch monitors help ALOT- LOL even with classes :)

Petunia ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 5:57 PM

Yup, gots my computer glasses on and when I want to see farther than 1 1/2 feet in front of me, gotta switch to the regular glasses. Been there... doing that.

Fillingim ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 5:59 PM

I got my glasses one week ago today!!! 45 y.o. here.

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 6:04 PM

Yep me too. I also tried to deny it for a couple of years but once one's nose is up against that screen there is nowhere else to go. Welcome to the club.

~

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

Mattb ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 6:11 PM

Been there for 3 years. I'll be 48 on the 17th. You'll find that glasses will cut down on the headaches too. B)

kayjay97 ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 6:19 PM

45 here and yep, need my glasses also. LOL But I do love my 21 inch monitor!

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

Kurgen ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 6:35 PM

Hmm wonder if this is why my monitor seems to be creeping closer to me on a daily basis? 42 and possibly in the denial stage lol

Turtle ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 6:36 PM

Your all Babies, 48 is YOUNG!!!!

Love is Grandchildren.

DominiqueB ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 6:48 PM

Yep, glasses and all, and aches and pain in the morning, the lot of the over forty!

Dominique Digital Cats Media

gregsin ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 7:03 PM

wish I had that problem replicant, I have to use 800x600 and have to see an eye surgeon on the 22 about a cornea transplant. I was worried about a lens replacement, now I wish thats what I needed. So wearning glasses isn't that bad.

DominiqueB ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 7:11 PM

All our best wishes for a successful operation will be with you gregsin, you're right glasses aren't that bad after all.

Dominique Digital Cats Media

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 7:20 PM

Will be keeping you in my thoughts greg, good luck with your appointment. Marque

SWAMP ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 9:53 PM

Been wearing glasses,since grade school....now I'm at the bifocal stage. One thing that helps 1000%,is a computer desk/stand/workstation,that has a recess for the monitor. This allows your screen to be lower than your work space and tilted up(like reading a book).This is a "must have" for eyeglasse users...but even for someone with 20/20,it really cuts down on the neck and back strain. ......now how many swords..er..fingers is Vicky holding up?.. SWAMP

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 9:54 PM

Yah, good luck on the cornea replacement. It may not be pleasant, but compared to some of the eye surgeries, it is pretty standard. And having been in specs since I was barely 7 (looking at the ass end of 44 at the moment....)(lazy eye, nonsymetric astigmatism), and having to look at getting bifocals in the next two or three visits, I say bow to Nature! And if you think specs are bad, just wait until some kid who's younger than your bathrobe hears you talking about CCR and asks if that is that new punk/rapper/whatever group. The next sound you hear will be either your arteries hardening or whatever you threw at himher.... :P

cherokee69 ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 9:54 PM

I know what you mean. 55 here and using a 19 inch monitor set at 1024x768. Just recently started wearing specs to correct a problem with my right eye for reading small stuff, like fine print. Now that I've been using them when I'm working on the computer, it only seems like second nature to put them on when I'm working on something or even just curisng the net. Good luck on the exam and don't worry about the specs, they ain't all that bad.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 10:14 PM

43 and glasses since I was a kid. Just got them updated a few weeks ago and it makes all the difference in the world.

Berserga ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 10:24 PM

You guys are scaring me. I'm 30 and blind as a bat already. :( Been that way since I was a kid but still...

Patricia ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 10:54 PM

56, and I'm now wearing trifocals! And love'em...I made the eye doctor put them in three wide bands clear across the lens, instead of in those little scoop-shaped areas. I'm lucky still to have good peripheral vision and I want to see with it all in focus :) For most of my computer work, though, I had her make me a pair of glasses with just the medium prescription, to focus clearly on the screen....And I can't recommend enough an iMac with it's lovely flat screen that I can move up or down or back and forth with a fingertip :)

Spit ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 11:01 PM

Had glasses from the age of, eek, 6! But, guess what, I was terribly near sighted but as I've aged my eyes have gotten BETTER. Can't believe it but I only wear glasses for driving now. Give it another couple of years, though, and I'll need them again for the opposite reason :((((((

taco ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 11:24 PM

OK all you chillun... the wisdom of age suggests you git yerselfs a special pair of glasses set for the distance of yer monitor. (Different from reading glasses, different from regular glasses). If you spend as much time in front of the screen as I do... it's a necessary expenditure!

RadiositySG ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 12:13 AM

Good luck with your surgery bro.. Btw, why don't you just tweak your font size/icon size a bit .... You might find smething you are able to be comfortable with..

JVRenderer ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 12:42 AM

I just ordered my 19" LCD Flatpanel yesterday... the 15" panel just wouldnt cut it anymore.

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

thip ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 1:19 AM

39 and myopic since 17. What are YOU all complaining about ;o)

FishNose ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 2:55 AM

47 and need monitor glasses REAL bad. I need to do something about it, all that peering and squinting doesn't do my head (or my neck) any good. :] Fish

lindans ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 3:18 AM

Oh my god!!! and here's me thinking I was encroaching on the up and coming scene - sounds like it's mostly come and gone LOL!!! from another YOUTHFUL 47, birthday last week and YES my eyes are going as well.

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

queri ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 3:24 AM

That tip about the screen set a bit down and tilted up really works, I've been doing that with my main posing computer. By all means measure the distance between the screen and your lens. I did that and I use multifocal lens always have. They whined a bit but did it-- seemed to think I was going to go nuts and drive with them. The extra focal power helps for the keyboard. Emily

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 5:25 AM

Euw. I had glasses from 8 till 17. Then I broke them and discovoered that I didn't really need them. Now I find that my sight is blurring when I'm tired (41). but getting closer to the monitor doesn't really help. Oh, yeah, 22" at 1600x1200. And love it. So much desktop real estate. But I had to switch to large fonts (Windows), while before that I was using a 18" at 1280x1024 with the smallest fonts possible. And it's been only three motnhs since I bought the big monitor.

-- erlik

jenay ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 5:58 AM

i am wearing glasses since my very first school days. now i am 42... 2 months ago i got new glasses - and huiii ... incredible, what i created over the last years ... hehhe ... jk

visque ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 7:41 AM

44 and my eyes have betrayed me in the last two years. Stronger glasses, 21 inch Dual monitors and a lot of Aleve have kept me going. It's a big change from "sex and drugs and Rock n' Roll", but I'm coping.

Daio ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 7:46 AM

I'm 42 and wore glass for 32 years (very nearsighted), last March I had lasix surgery and have better than 20-20 vision now! It wonderful! My eyedoctor says I will probably need reading glasses eventually but for now I free! :::laughs maniacally:::

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

cruzan ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 9:14 AM

am 45 and never had a problem with my dual monitor [1 20 and 1 17] viewing until 3 months ago after spending a month in bed after back surgery and being stuck using a laptop. Now before I head up to my computer room - got to put on the specs - and keep monitors at 1024 x 768 [max smallness with large characters] with the accessibility zoom at hand! So, my sympathy - know how you feel!

GizmoMkI ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 9:44 AM

I've worn glasses since I was 10, went to bifocals/trifocals at 40. At 50 I had a stroke and lost vision in one eye. Now it's two years later, running a 19" monitor at 1024x768, with font/icons stepped up a notch.

garblesnix ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 10:29 AM

If you get reading glasses or bi/tri focals, be sure to adjust the height of your monitor and/or chair. You will tend to tilt your head back to look through the new lenses and cause neck strain which leads to strains on other parts of your body as it tries to compensate.
I would know about this because...well, I know people who are of an age where this would be an issue.
And please remember, we...uh, you are more mature now, and not given to frivilous purchases,...
...oh, hell, get a bigger monitor!
Why?
'Cause you can.
You're an adult.
You're an artist.
And,...just 'cause you can!
And it's cheaper than a Porche or a trophy wife/husband.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 10:52 AM

Just hit 45 and have worn contacts for the last 30 years, glasses since 4th grade. My dad always said I had the eyesite of a dead eagle. Now I need reading glasses. I'm thinking of just going back to glasses only. It's a PITA to have to deal with contacts and still not be able to see half of the time...

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Gini ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 12:08 PM

You have my sympathies -my eyes were fine until 2 years ago and now at 46 I have my computer glasses , my mid range vision glasses and my very very dark sun glasses for when I don't want to see anything anyway. a big PITA! But its nice being able to read again and see my monitor clearly but seeing the facial lines I was blissfully unaware of was a bit of a shock !

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

Patricia ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 12:52 PM

Gini, LOL For a while there, I had a theory that my eye doctor's office had some kind of secret technology installed in the equipment that caused rapid aging....After all, when I looked in the mirror for the first time after donning my new specs, my lines and wrinkles had magically multiplied ;)

macmullin ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 1:29 PM

You mean there is an easier way of working with Poser than through a Linux Shell Account and Braille 'N' Speak? Please tell me more....

hmatienzo ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 4:39 PM

42 here... and 1024 with slightly larger fonts is as far as I will go, LOL!

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

purplehayes ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2003 at 8:10 PM

I hate to disrupt, I'm not in a denying phase, I'm 40 and I still don't need glasses. Good eyesight since birth, wishing it to go well beyond the "normal" eyesight problem age. But, yes, the computer monitor gives a lot of fatigue in the long run to the eyes... But I must empathize with all you people having to wear glasses... PH

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.