Fri, Sep 20, 3:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: What is Python?

cenozoite ( ) posted Sat, 12 April 2003 at 11:08 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:28 AM

Hi. I've noticed several downloads in the free area that appear to be scripts for something called "Python". But I'm not familiar what that is and haven't been able to find a description of it anywhere. What is it, and do I need to have Pro Pack in order to run it, or is regular Poser 4 enough? Thanks!

GigaRoc ( ) posted Sat, 12 April 2003 at 11:14 PM

A python is a large snake that kills by coiling itself around it's pray and squeazing it to death. Python is also a programing langage, and in this case i think it's used to make macros(i could be wrong)

mglant ( ) posted Sun, 13 April 2003 at 12:49 AM

Python is a higher level language that is very portable to various OS platforms and can drive various other programs. It is basically object oriented. It is open source, thus it is free and gaining in popularity. There are numerous free sights and various books on it. Present newest version is 2.2.2 if think. Try starting here... http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html I am a physician who does informatics and hobbies in 3D. Python is a good alternative to Perl, and many are migrating from Perl to Python ...apparently a more elegant programming language. Check it out! M. Glant

cenozoite ( ) posted Sun, 13 April 2003 at 1:02 AM

Thanks for the responses. So it's a programming language, okay got it. So why are there many references to "Poser Python"? Is there a specific program made with it that plugs conveniently into Poser to enable all kinds of scripts or something? From the screenshots of all the python scripts available here, it looks like they integrate naturally into Poser without having to run any external programs. Any info on that?

ChristianB ( ) posted Sun, 13 April 2003 at 3:14 AM

You do need Pro Pack or Poser 5 to take advantage of it. The Poser 4 Pro Pack book by Richard Schrand has a little bit of info about the use of Python using Pro Pack. For the most part these scripts will help you automate some of your task. In addition some of them might clean up some of the extra scripts from the program or from characters to help the program run faster. If you are not a programmer,,,, Use with caution, and make sure you back up your Runtime before any attempt at using them.

ricewind ( ) posted Sun, 13 April 2003 at 8:44 AM

Could Python change the font on the Poser4 dials to something less italic?

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 13 April 2003 at 12:16 PM

In -some- ways, "Poser Python" is not the same thing as just plain Python. Poser contains a built-in interpreter for Python and also includes a set of connecting functions that let Python control or sense various aspects of the Poser workspace. (Read and set parameters, save and load files, etc.) So, most scripts written for use in Poser will do nothing at all when activated in a general Python environment, and most scripts you might find in a general Python text or website will do nothing meaningful inside Poser.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.