Fri, Sep 20, 9:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: I have a question please

cableguy223 ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 12:22 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:34 AM

Since I'm new to this , MUST I install a video card to run high end 3d software ? Thank you the " cable guy " cableguy223@comcast.net

gebe ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 12:26 PM

Generally you have a graphic card in your computer. Otherwise you would not see anything on your screen. Depending of the power and the quality of your graphic card (also called video card) you can work with more or less powerfull 3D software. Guitta

cableguy223 ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 12:34 PM

Guitta, thank you for your responce. I was trying to install a low end 3d program and it said I neede a video card and one was not detected so it failed to install. The program is called Impact Plus. The computer I'm using is only 2 years old ( already out dated ) and when I tried to order one the company said I didnt have an APG slot in my model. Any help you can offer will be deeply apreciated. Thanks again cable guy

gebe ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 12:43 PM

Yes, new computers needs an AGP slot that's sitting on the motherboard, where a video card will be placed then. A 2 years old computer should have such a slot. What kind of computer is it? I was even working with 3D on a 486 machine in the old times (5 years ago) with an ordinary graphic card. What's your OS? Have a look in the configuration pannel -->my computer to see what kind of graphic card you have. Maybe that's only the program that doesn't want to install with your card. Try to download the demo version of Vue d'Esprit 4 at www.e-onsoftware.com and install it. If this one works, your card is not wrong. Guitta

cableguy223 ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 12:48 PM

I have a Dell Dimension L series. My OS is XP. I have a 10 gig hard drive with about 6 gig unused. It was just 64 mgs of ram but up graded it to 360. I will try that down load you suggested and see if it works. You've been a big help. Thanks again Cable guy cableguy223@comcast.net

cableguy223 ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 12:59 PM

Guitta, Download was sucsesful. Thanks again. I plan on having some fun with this program too. Didnt know about the free trial . Thak you Cable guy

gebe ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 1:07 PM

If you can unstall and use Vue, this means that your program (impact Plus) is too heavy. You may ask at the helpdesk of the makers of this software. I don't know it. BTW I cannot believe you have no AGP slot in your computer. Good luck, Guitta

cableguy223 ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 1:11 PM

I dont believe it either. Comcast bought these computers for all of it's employees. One of the guys I work with has the same thing. He's a big game player and need to up grade his graphics to play the 3D games. He said he got a gard at Circut Sity for about 80 bucks. I tried to order one from crucial.com and the responce I got was that my system didnt have the AGP slot. So Circut Sity here I come..LOL Thanks again cable guy

kbennett ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 1:32 PM

Sadly they're correct. The mainboard used in the L series is an Intel CA810E which has no AGP slot and a graphics chip which is (I'm sorry to say) mediocre at best. Don't despair though! There are many graphics cards available which use the PCI bus instead of AGP. For example there are many Geforce4 and Radeon cards available which use PCI.

cableguy223 ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for the info people. You have all been a big help,glad all hope is not lost. Thanks again cable guy

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.