Mon, Sep 23, 1:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: NO GRAY!

Juji ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 2:18 PM ยท edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:25 PM

How do you transform a picture into something purely black and white, without gray?

ficticious ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 3:04 PM

without photoshop on me at the moment, you could select Image-Brightness/Contrast, and then drive the contrast to its maximum. that would yield a comp[letely black and white image so long as the image was already put in grayscale mode. After that, messing with the brightness and whatnot to get different levels andwhatnot. mess around mah friend.

svdf ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 3:04 PM

you could desaturate your image or convert it to black&white and then use (image>adjustments>)posterize, with a value of 2 for levels... or use (image>adjustments>)threshold for more precision... but if you want to have a halftone pattern you have to convert your image to black&white (desaturate doesn't work in this case...) and then go to filter>pixelate>color halftone and click ok... then you could have grey things like shadows, but still the image is purely black and white... i hope this helps... grd

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 3:16 PM

There is a short cut. It is also available as correction layer. I think it is called 'threshold' (in Dutch it is called 'drempel', nice eh?) It does the same as posterizing, but then with a nice slider. The transition will be harsh. Stuff like this tend to look better when you do it via Streamline (also Adobe), which converts your photographs into nice vectors. In combination with Illustrator you are on the way to annoy another pack of teeth-grinding artists that used to do this kind of stuff for a living. By hand. Recoloring it is even more fun.

svdf ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 3:26 PM

i already mentioned threshold ;) enneh... drempel klinkt zo stom... vind je niet? grd

Andini ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 3:45 PM

Try Filter-Sketch-Photocopy Then Filter-Sharpen-Unsharp Mask. Here max out everything but leave Threshold at 0. I tried it on a photo and it works nicely.

ficticious ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 5:07 PM

line art kicks

Grimtwist ( ) posted Thu, 17 April 2003 at 8:57 PM

heh. filtering something can hardly be called line art.

mpalash ( ) posted Fri, 18 April 2003 at 10:07 AM

try using the bitmap mode under image-->mode. i think that's what ur looking for. it halftones the image using pure black pixels on pure white. later on you could change the mode back to RGB or CMYK to fiddle about with colours and other effects.

karosnikov ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2003 at 12:49 PM

file_54792.JPG

So you _do_ know the diference between grey-scale and black and whte... Try any of the above Ideas most work quite well

karosnikov ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2003 at 12:53 PM

^^^ the bitmap ^^^

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.