Sat, Sep 21, 12:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 9:12 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: [Question] : the ultimate modeler ?

Pete_Exxtreme ( ) posted Mon, 21 April 2003 at 11:01 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:52 PM

Hi all, My question is quite simple, and seem to have been already posted many times but... Proud owner and user of Amapi, there are a few things that puzzled me with this program, like : - some limits where working with a blueprint to do CAD modeling, like missing planar projection and so on.. - the poor texturing tools (maybe it has been widely increase in v7, but i'm not sure)... So, as i'm only interested in modeling/rendering, what "ultimate" tool could you advice me ?? I'm fed up of using different tools to do modeling/texturing/rendering !!! Thanx in advance for your opinion :-)

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 21 April 2003 at 6:06 PM

If you want the full ball of wax, your looking at Maya, Max, Lightwave, or Softimage. If your looking more realistically...Wings3D. You can use a number of Renderman compliant render engines with it. As well as render in POV ray, right from Wings. The modeler itself is fantastic, better than Lightwave...and some say better than Maya.

BazC ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2003 at 3:57 AM

You could add Cinema 4d to that list and even though I'm a devoted Wings evangelist I think most people will dissapointed/frustrated at the rendering possibilities with Wings. In time I hope that will change but at the moment I think they're limited and difficult. It's a fantastic modeller though! Just my opinion of course :o) Baz

lupus ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2003 at 7:24 PM

Well, if you're talking about modelling, I would suggest Lightwave. Rendering: Lightwave (because I use it :-) ... ), Softimage or Maya.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2003 at 11:51 PM

If you want to model something right off hand without having to figure out a cryptic tome and develop a "modeling process" (ie: learn where all the tools are hidden, etc.), go with Wings. Not much in the way of a renderer though - but I use my trusty ol' Bryce for that. As far as renderers go, Bryce is simple enough to use for a beginner w/o much book learnin' (uses a visual and intuitive interface) and it's powerful enough for more when one goes to push it and learn its secrets.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 4:59 AM

I'd agree with pauljs75, Wings and Bryce will take you a long way for about $100. Of course you could wait for DAZ Studio to be released, the base version will be free and should be a pretty good renderer, no idea when it's coming though. If you insist on an all in one package go for one of the big names mentioned above (I like Lightwave) it's gonna cost you though! Cinema base version is about $500 up to the full version of Maya/Softimage XSI something like $6000! Baz

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 6:15 PM

okay...i have rhino....i LOVE it for many things, poser clothing, most assuredly. i bought Max a couple of years ago, could not learn it. (hah, thought i got a good deal...yeah right, for a coaster.) i purchased lw, this past month...and, it does seem like an excellent program for the direction i want to take. and, to me...it is not that hard....YET. lots of reading, instead of playing, though. wings rocks!!! plsin and simple. it is more like play than work. the learning curve is flatline/none. try it. if you like that style of modelling/as opposed to rhino's nurbs...which are way cool, too....then, think about one of the higher end subdivision modellers. amapi was the first program, for me, where modelling "clicked".

Cheers ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 8:51 AM

"...the ultimate modeler?"...well I use Cinema 4D XL R8, so I'm bound to think it is very cool ;o) If we are honest with ourselves though, you have to think that the fight is between Maya Unlimited and Softimage XSI...with my personal top spot going to XSI because of the toolset. I agree that Wings3D, Bryce etc are great apps, but they dont really answer the question, and in no way can be considered ultimate...ultimate in the sense of the amount of modelling tools they have. Saying that though, I feel that the ultimate app is the one that suits the individual user the best; so "ultimate" is a very subjective word ;o) Download all the demos you can get your hands on and find the one that suits you the best. Not only through features, but workflow as well.That way you will be able to find your own ultimate program :o) Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

rhettro ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 10:40 AM

I don't think there is such a thing as the ultimate modeler, as everyone has their own particular needs that have to be addressed. For me, I can't say enough good things about Rhino. It has a few limitations, but there really isn't much that can be modeled with Rhino's NURBS. As for polygon modeling, I've been dabbling in Wings, and it pretty good. A lot different than Rhino. When I have some time I'll read a few tutorials to get a better understanding of it. Rhino has a CAD feel, Wings a sculptural one. As for a jack of all trades I'd look at Lightwave, Cinema 4D or 3DSMAX. MAX is the only one I have experience with and I like it, but it is expensive. I'd like to purchase it some day. Hopefully someone can convince me that Lightware or Cinema is just as good.

unclebob ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 6:19 PM

as said above ... download demos and play with them. That way you can't kick yourself for spending $$$ and hate the program. Rhino's "demo" is fully functioning.. the only thing is 25 saves,afterwards it still continues to funciton, you just can't save your work Cinema 4D is fully functional demo... you can't save. Maya PLE is a fully functioning demo. No demo isn't the right word for it. It works without restrictions (I think some functions might be disabled), the only thing is when you render you get a watermark on your render.

cristov ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 6:54 AM

reality !

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 02 May 2003 at 1:40 AM

I'm very happy with Electric Image Universe. The cheapie at www.dvgarage.com makes just about anything I want.

cryptojoe ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 8:45 AM

Rhino is all I know. I have AutoCAD2002 but it really doesn't suit me well. Rhino allows you to model, as well as manufacture. You can do buildings, or just about anything.

When combined with Flamingo, it does a real good job of rendering. The finished product of the Flamingo Demo is really poor but it gives you a feel for what it is capable of. Flamingo is a Plug-In and includes plants and sun settings with time of day and location etc... Though many Rhino Masters would disagree with me for certain on my positive feelings toward the Flamingo Photometric Renderer, I don't believe many truly have actually owned it to make a negative judgment.

If you want to cut through the crap and just model and render, I suggest you get Rhino with Flamingo in some sort of a PAckage Deal.

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.