Tue, Oct 8, 6:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 8:39 am)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: Regarding VisaPro

Lucy_Fur ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 10:45 AM · edited Tue, 08 October 2024 at 6:39 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=19269

This looks like great new software and very inexpensive at that. But there's no readme or user's manual to access to get a feel of what files the program can handle, what the systems specs need to be, etc. How many pre-loaded models does it comes with? What kind of variables are available for customizing/morphing the land/sea/sky/rocks/plantlife/models?? What textures does it come with?? Please - if there's more info available, let us know? It seems like kind of a blind buy right now....

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:27 AM

You'd be surprised just how old VistaPro actually is, I think it started out on the Amiga if memory serves. I have a copy of Vistapro 4 which I bought over 3 years ago, so I wouldn't expect too much more from 4.1, I suspect it has just changed publisher's hand. Having said that, you can get some very good results out of it if you want basic landscaping/background images or want to creat fly-bys. It basically creates random 'heigh maps' which you then apply varisu textures too, you can add additonal details, such as trees, water etc. For the money, it's a bargain, I just hope they've increased the feature list for this 4.1 release, it has been several years after all. best wishes Jody

keweljewels ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:29 AM

Do you have more information on it. The first two nature scenes were lovely..Like what is the interface like? More specs pleas. Thank you, susan

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:32 AM

If you can hold out for a few minutes, I'll install it again and take some screen shots?

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:45 AM

file_56384.jpg

Okay, here we go, first screen you get when version 4.0 loads

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:45 AM

file_56385.jpg

Submenu in the 'create' section where fractal terrains are created.

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:48 AM

file_56386.jpg

Thirdly, a sample render of a 2 minute jobbie. There are lots of options for changing texture, camera position works by you setting a 'target' on the height map on top left and the camera will then 'look' at that object, you can raise, lower and move around the camera at will. There are lots of areas to change textures and the program has a generous quantity of textures on the CD. It also imports DEM files (USGS I believe) and my copy came with a whole CD full of em, including most of Earth and Mars. Hope all this helps out, let me know if you want to know anything specific or want more screenshots, it's not a problem. best wishes Jody

Lucy_Fur ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 1:25 PM

Thank you, Jody, for the response. :) On that vein then - what is its value when held up against Terragen, which is free?

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 1:44 PM

Um....none :-)

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 2:52 PM

Attached Link: VistaPro Lives!!

Hey Friends, I am from the new publisher of VistaPro. My name is Ronin The Tall. I have, also, been a part of the development of VistaPro for many years since it was with VRLI, Inc. So, I know a bit about the title and a bit more about the new offering ;)

Good news is that this is not just a new publisher switch. We are now working dorectly with the products developer in offering new community tools and updates to the software. I have, personally, used this software for ten years now and I am happy to say that 4.1 is the most stable and robust release ever. We have added new DEMs, there are new rendering options, and (most impotantly) we have new community support for this killer software! :)

We are building a community site here:
http://www.vendornation.com/cat_arena_homeVP.html

For direct product information, check out this page:
http://www.vendornation.com/*ws4d-db-query-QuickShow?vp001

Tonight we launch a FAQs section of the community site to answer all your questions about VP and there is more to come. Come on and join us! ;)

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 2:55 PM

Attached Link: http://www.vendornation.com/cat_arena_homeVP.html

Hey Lucy, We are working hard to keep the price down low on VistaPro. It is our hope that this will make VP more accessible to more people and get more people interested in checking out how easy it is to render with VP. I started using VistaPro when I was a student. I have always loved that it was a cost effective tool and want to provide that to everyone for the future as well.

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 2:57 PM

Well I wish you the best of luck with software roninthetall. You have a touch fight ahead of you with Terragen sitting out there for free, but if you can get the edge, you have a great price point to compete with the likes of Bryce and Vue. Best wishes Jody

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 2:58 PM

Attached Link: Are we a new publisher?

Hey Jody, VendorNation.com is a new publisher. But, we are much more than that. We are also a game developer from way back. You might know us better as Monkey Byte Development. Well, we have picked out a number of software titles we feel are awesome and deserver new life and we are bringing it to them. VistaPro a very excellent development tool and awesome for hobbiests too. We did not want to see it fade into the night. It is too cool for that.

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:00 PM

Attached Link: Are we a new publisher?

Hey Jody, VendorNation.com is a new publisher. But, we are much more than that. We are also a game developer from way back. You might know us better as Monkey Byte Development. Well, we have picked out a number of software titles we feel are awesome and deserver new life and we are bringing it to them. VistaPro a very excellent development tool and awesome for hobbiests too. We did not want to see it fade into the night. It is too cool for that.

jarm ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:02 PM

I really enjoyed reloading Vista earlier today to help out Lucy, I do hope you can breath new life into it it'd be great to see it around again. best wishes Jody

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:04 PM

Hey Jody, terragen is a cool product and we wish to take nothing away from a fellow developer. But, this is a wide wide world and there is plenty of room for us all ;) We do hold our own in pricing with the other companies. But, I can assure you that we run a leaner machine here at VendorNation. One that id dedicated to the developer and the community. Not to corporate profits. We will work hard to support VistaPro into the future with whatever strength we can muster. And we would love your review and support as well :)

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:05 PM

Hey Jody, terragen is a cool product and we wish to take nothing away from a fellow developer. But, this is a wide wide world and there is plenty of room for us all ;) We do hold our own in pricing with the other companies. But, I can assure you that we run a leaner machine here at VendorNation. One that id dedicated to the developer and the community. Not to corporate profits. We will work hard to support VistaPro into the future with whatever strength we can muster. And we would love your review and support as well :)

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:12 PM

Attached Link: VistaPro Importing

Hey Musicat, We have had a few people working to integrate Lightwave object with VistaPro. Check out our community site for tutorials on this. We have one party importing between VP and Lightwave and another group using Lightwave lighting to render movies in VP. Some interesting stuff. But, the software has come a long way from v2 for sure ;)

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 3:14 PM

Attached Link: VistaPro Importing

Hey Musicat, We have had a few people working to integrate Lightwave object with VistaPro. Check out our community site for tutorials on this. We have one party importing between VP and Lightwave and another group using Lightwave lighting to render movies in VP. Some interesting stuff. But, the software has come a long way from v2 for sure ;)

keweljewels ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 4:17 PM

Thank you for further information, i will check out your links. i remember now having this on my Mac, and it simulated natural terrain. It was out in the early days of Bryce.

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 4:23 PM

Attached Link: http://www.vendornation.com

Hey KewelJewels, Yeah, VistaPro came into the light back in the early days of Bryce. In fact, we all came from the same area. The middle coast of California. A small town named San Luis Obispo. Not far from Bryce Canyon ;) VendorNation.com still has an office there in fact. And we are heavy into Macintosh development too. I am crossing my fingers that we might see VP on Mac OS X soon ;) Feel free to show your desire for that! It would rock there ;) hehehehehe...

Spit ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 6:37 PM

Vista Pro has TREES, Terragen doesn't.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 6:42 PM

I used VistaPro back in the days of DOS. I remember that it was used to generate the title sequence for the computer game Wolf, from Sanctuary Woods.

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 6:42 PM

oooooh, Spit, you are SO right! I totally forgot. VistaPro has trees, and water effects as well as the ability to render rolling waves and some landscape morphing. Nice call Spit. I totally spaced on that ;)

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 6:46 PM

WOW! Now that is a memory Little Dragon! Yup, you are totally right. We also did some shows for Paramount and the Star Trek guys. VistaPro has a long and industrious history. We are super proud to let you know it has a future too ;)

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 6:53 PM

Hey Musicat, We have a guy who is offering a Lightwave plugin on the VistaPro Arena site that allows you to import Ligtwave objects and lighting elements into the new VistaPro too. Not just the box buildings of old.

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 10:16 PM

GREAT TO HEAR YOU'RE BACK.... Sorry for yelling, but VP was the FIRST landscape generator I used...I had VP 1, 2, 3,, and now 4.01 from when it went over to RomTech.... Is John Hinkley still around ???

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

roninthetall ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 11:38 PM

Hey Dave-So, I actually used to work for Romtech (and VRLI before them) as a contract engineer way back when. Our history with them, and VistaPro of then, is exactly why we chose to support the newest VistaPro with all our efforts :) Romtech kinda lost faith with the VistaPro community. We have always wanted to correct that misdeed. Now we have the chance. John Hinkley is the number one developer of VistaPro to this day for sure. It is by his good graces that we bring you this newest version of VistaPro for PC. John keeps in daily contact with us and he has just released the 'MarsX: Landscapes of Mars' add-on to VistaPro in partnership with VendorNation. I dare say, John is in top form ;) Anyhoo, I am stoked to meet you and hope to see you Online much more in the future for sure ;)

ialora ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 2:35 AM

Seems to me that I bought the MarsX CD about a year ago. Was a newer version recently released? Also, can you explain how to morph the terrain. Is this an animatable feature?

Irene-

roninthetall ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 10:57 AM

Attached Link: http://www.vendornation.com/cat_arena_homeVP.html

Hey ialora, There has not been an update of MarsX recently. But we released just under a year ago and I know that not everyone has it yet ;) As to the morphing, I will see if I can get a tutorial on this posted to our VendorNation VistaPro Arena this weekend. I know how to do it on the Mac version, but, need a professionals aid to get details for you on the PC ;)

dragongirl ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 3:20 PM

Someone on your site asked about whether or not you would be providing a download of the patch for VistaPro 4.0 that used to be on the old VistaPro site. I wasn't able to find any answer to that question on your site tho. Are you going to do this? :-) (I got VP3 and VP 4) thanks -dg

roninthetall ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 6:05 PM

Hey dragongirl, Yeh, we had a friend request that on the boards at the VP Arena. I am collecting as many download files as I can find right now and we will be loading them up to the Arena site this coming weekend. You should be able to find it there under the 'Download' tab sometime this weekend :) We have FAQs databases going up this evening. So, the site is on the grow and we are getting all the killer ideas from you guys! So, keep them coming ;P

dragongirl ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 9:11 PM

Cool! Thanks! :-)

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 9:27 PM

what is this patch??? I have 4.01 now...is it a patch for it ??? By the way...is there an upgrade price from 4.01 to 4.1 ??? I'm cheap :P

roninthetall ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 11:06 PM

Hey Dave-So, the download we are speaking of is not a patch. Actually, it is just a free upgrade that was offered a while back for people who had the 4.0 version of VistaPro. It was an upgrade from 4.0 to 4.01. You, actually, have the latest and greatest by download standards. I am sorry to say, that there is not a download upgrade from 4.01 to 4.1. The changes were too much to be packaged into a downloadable in that version number change. I can understand the desire for it to be otherwise though ;) Wish I had a better response ;)

ialora ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 12:31 AM

So how come I have a version 4.05 on my computer?

Irene-

ialora ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 12:37 AM

Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Where is the plugin that allows you to import LW objects into VP? All I've ever seen is a plugin that allows you to convert motion paths between VP and LW. And the lighting is just a matter of writing down the suns coordinates from VP for use in LW. Is there a different link burried somewhere on your website that does more?

Irene-

jjsemp ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 2:10 AM

Hey Roninthetall, You probably aren't aware of this, but Vistapro was used to generate fly-throughs for at least one episode of the highly-rated PBS kids' show "Jay Jay the Jet Plane." --jjsemp (who's been using Vistapro since it first came out for the Amiga)

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 8:29 AM

hmmmm.... I donwload files as large as 300meg or whatever using my super duper broadband modem :) Thats about a 20 minute dl tops . Back in the day of 2400baud modems, it would take 6 weeks, but times have changed :) lay an ftp link on me for that 4.01 to 4.1 upgrade. We can doooooooo it

roninthetall ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 9:40 AM

Hey jjsemp, That is awesome! I did not know that it had been used for Jay Jay. I know of the show though. I will see if I can go get a tape of it. SAWEET! Thanks!! I, also, have seen it used in a couple of NOVA specials to render Mars landscapes in true form. But, I did not know about Jay Jay. Hey Dave-So, I will look into what it would take to do a download upgrade ;) Keep you posted.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.