Fri, Sep 20, 9:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: We

PhrankPower ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 1:35 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:45 PM

file_57345.jpg

Hi everyone. Havent had a chance to stop by here in the last few days. Weve had a lot going on! This is the 4th day in row weve had tornados all around here in the Memphis area, and the entire southeast region too. At night the tornado sirens wail amid flashes of light, thunder, and pouring rain. Some of the best cloud and sky shots Ive missed by either not having my camera or being too scared to stop. Our company has a TV station in Jackson Tennessee. The station studios, and a good part of Downtown Jackson are now gone. There were 12 deaths in that one storm alone. Weve had major tree damage even in areas where there havent been any tornados (yet). Anyways, as I was leaving work Monday evening I took these 4 shots. It was right at sunset, and there was a break right on the western horizon allowing the setting sunlight to momentarily hit the dark storm clouds. Most unusual combination since sunsets are usually associated with white puffy friendly clouds. These werent friendly skies. In fact, they were more frightful than these pictures show. You cant feel the wind, and hear all the strange sounds from looking at these. Later in the evening, tornados came from this very storm. The first shot is the first thing I saw when walking out the door!

PhrankPower ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 1:35 PM

file_57346.jpg

Off to the left...

PhrankPower ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 1:36 PM

file_57347.jpg

Zoomed in some on the building next door

PhrankPower ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 1:37 PM

file_57348.jpg

A couple of blocks away on the way home (actually stopped by the side of the road for this one. No color adjustment, just contrast and brightness (they were a little dark). Its now 1:30pm, and the latest word from our weathermen is to expect more of the same tonight!

MzQt ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 2:26 PM

It is sad that lives get destroyed from these natural tragedies, but like most things in life there is usually some positive aspect hiding somehwere. Even though they are foreboding photos, I can't help but admire the power they hold in them. They are truly beautiful in their own way. Thanx for sharing them :)

funkandjazz ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 3:01 PM

Very tragic and frightening. Glad you're safe. The pictures are incredible.

jacoggins ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 4:18 PM

nice shots Phrank, glad you and yours are ok. Nashvegas got some really nasty storms out of this also. I have a couple of friends in Jackson whose house got major damage but they are ok, that's the important part! My thoughts are with all of those affected all over this part of the country....pray for blue skys....

mysnapz ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 4:49 PM

We have seen this reported in the UK news. Some very impressive pictures stay safe. :0 )

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing. Salvador Dali

zhounder ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 4:51 PM

I haven't seen skies like that since I lived in Texas. And yeah they were Tornado storms too. If y'all want to move to Yankee Land We can house you for a bit. At least we only get a tornado once every 20 years. Great shots and amazing colors. Nasty reason to have them though. Magick Michael

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 5:14 PM

Awesome shooting, Prank! I'm glad to see you're okay....

PhrankPower ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 5:59 PM

Thanks for the comments, but the shooting was easy. I walked out the door and there is was! Scary as hell, though. I hope it ends soon.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 7:22 PM

Yes we are lucky in Yankee Land.... we have Hurricanes instead...... Hoping things stay calm for you Marshall....and those images are amazing!

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

JordyArt ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 1:08 PM

I know it probably sounds like false bravado, but I would LOVE the opportunity to get close to extreme weather for photo's. Having faced danger from the elements a couple of times (1st time when I was 14 in a little 8 foot sailing dinghy with a school mate among 4-5 foot waves.... I know, doesn't sound much, but when the waves are higher than your head and help is a reasonable swim away....you learn REAL fast! Learn not to trust the weather forecast for a start....) I seem to be one of those freaks who actually enjoys it..... though like everyone else send my thoughts to those who have received misery and pain from the elements. However, those clouds are amazing, especially in that last pic. (",)

PhrankPower ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 2:44 PM

There is an adrenalin rush, no doubt. Whenever there is a risk to your life, you at least are never board! In clouds like this you never know when a tornado will drop from the sky. Of course, Ive never seen one except via film & video, but if I ever did, Id probably risk my like trying to photograph it.

aspirinetu ( ) posted Thu, 08 May 2003 at 6:50 PM

I guess hell must look like that. Shocking. I send you my best respect and congratulations for your dangerous (and excellent!) job.

Quinn ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 7:16 AM

Good work, personally I like the third. I spent a many a spring afternoon trying to shoot storm skys, when I was a kid. After all, by the time the sky looked like this, the electricity was off, so I didnt have anything better to do. 20 years in Oklahoma and never used the storm cellar.

@ Jordy, my girlfriends sister is paying money to go chase storms in Oklahoma and Kansas in about 2 weeks, shes from Boston and I dont think she knows what she is in for. I was watching the news this A.M., and one of the storys was about a storm hitting More OK. This is part of the same area that was hit a few years ago, when a F-5 tore a 30mile by mile track through OK.

starshuffler ( ) posted Fri, 09 May 2003 at 3:26 PM

Whoa. These look like splash screens from Diablo hehehe... Wikked colors! Glad to hear you're safe. :-) (*

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.