Sun, Sep 22, 1:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Lighting

maga ( ) posted Mon, 05 June 2000 at 2:19 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:18 AM

Hi everyone! I'm working on an image with a mirror ground and beige sky. I need to put some spot lights with volume visible, and when I render some of the reflected light rays give as a result thin black stripes. What am I doing wrong? Thanx as usual for your help

bonestructure ( ) posted Mon, 05 June 2000 at 5:14 PM

I have no idea, I've never heard that one before. Maybe Hawkfyr can help you, he knows everything.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 05 June 2000 at 9:36 PM

Gee thanks::Blushes:: Hi Maga, First of all,are you also selecting "Infinite Light from the light editor? also check you Falloff( Linear,squared ,ranged, also...is your sky an infinite skyplane? ,if so , try selecting "Disable cast shadows" if it's not an infinite skyplane, try turning off cloud shadows from the sky lab under the sun/moon tab. also ( I know I say that allot) do you have anti aliasing turned on or off? as far as the reflective ground,is there something driving the bump channel that could be reflecting the lines? one more thing (I Promise) sometimes If you render in an orthogonal non perspective mode(from right,from front,etc.)it's gives weird lines, just an afterthought. these are the things I'd try first, but if it doesn't help, try posting a sample for us to see exactly what this artifact looks like. hope this helps though. Hawkfyr

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

maga ( ) posted Tue, 06 June 2000 at 2:26 AM

Thanx Boney, thanx Hawkfyr! I will try your advice this evening when I go back home. The problem is that these lights are grouped circles, I had made a "light ball" following a tutorial and imported it. There are dozens of lights "trapped" by a wireframed sphere. I deleted this sphere and ungrouped the various circles of lights, which I put here and there. I don't ungroup them because they're too many. Antialiasing is on and it is a camera view. I don't understand what you mean for infinite skyplane. I put a preset which I changed, deleting clouds and changing colors. haze and fog are off. As lights are grouped I can't edit them. Shall I have to ungroup and edit one by one?....sigh......

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 06 June 2000 at 5:44 PM

Hi Maga. If you ungroup the lights but still leave them all selected, you can edit the collectivly all at once ,they will all retain the same attributes. then just regroup them after that if you really need them grouped. A sky plane can be selected from the Create menu,at the top. you will see a ground plane, a water plane, and a Sky plane , these are all infinite planes, and they go on forever. If you click and hold down the mouse button on one of these planes ,you can select a Volumetric Slab,(infinite Slab) but be prepared for a longer render, anyway.. from what program did you make and import this light ball? dont get discouraged. wEll figure this out 8 )~ Hawkfyr

maga ( ) posted Wed, 07 June 2000 at 3:35 AM

Dear Hawkfyr, yesterday night I ungrouped all lights, deleted a lot (too much rendering time) and I checked one of them: infinite light was on, no falloff, intensity 69. I then put them randomly. in the next rendering everything was ok, no more black lines. But I was not happy with it so I changed the camera fov from 60 to 80. I got a better view, but some black lines turned out again.... ....Another question, if I can....this scene has a bottle of nail enamel some of which has fallen on the mirror surface. I created the shape in photopaint black and 50% gray and gave a slight gaussian blur. Applied it to a lattice, lowered, smoothed. But it is not smooth when render. Any tips for this? Maybe this evening I'll upload the image if it doesn't take too much time, so you can see at last what I am talking about. Your help is always highly appreciated and welcome. Thanx again.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Wed, 07 June 2000 at 4:47 PM

Hi Maga, Uploading the image would be very helpful.` Harrison2 or Lon Chaney would be the ones to ask about the lattice object,although from talking to H2,I think he said not to use smoothing too much in the terrain editor,and rather than using the clipping bracket(on the right side of the terrain canvas)try using the scaling tool on the edit pallet. However I know a good lattice starts out as a good grayscale image,so perhaps you used to much Gaussian blur in PhotoPaint, I use PhotoShop5 but I suspect they are similar, I would Ask Harrison2 about that stuff. By all means,.... upload the image so we can all have a look. Hope this helps Hawkfyr

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.