Sun, Sep 22, 11:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Vic 3 /P4/ Modest PC Compatibility?

nysalor ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 11:48 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 11:38 AM

Hi folks Is it realistic attempting to use Vicky 3 with Poser 4 and a modest (330 MHZ) PC? How 'back compatible' is the figure, and the clothing? I'd love to start using V3, but I may be better off using my pocket money to upgrade my PC first.

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 12:27 AM

Depends on your physical ram quantity and how much time and virtual ram you have. If you dont try using her with all of her morphs loaded, and you don't mind waiting, there's no harm in trying :) ~SR The universe is yours for the taking if you are ready to take the first step ~ anonymous ps. re back compatible... I don't think that is possible, however don't quote me on it. There are a LOT of free and some Amazingly low priced clothing items available that are designed specifucally for her (V3) and some of these ever have morphs to fit V2,V1 etc as a bonus:) You just have to do somne hunting hint check the free area and the Showcase forum for the bargain deals :)

droyd ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 12:31 AM

I would suggest getting a new computer just so you can deal with Poser and other programs you use better. However, I am able to use my Dell 450 P3 with Windows 98 SE, 512 ram, Poser 4.03 with V3 well enough. I did build a P4 1.8 mhz computer with XP Pro ( don't even bother with XP home edition if you're getting a new OS ), Asus motherboard and video card, and 1 gig of ram. I'm running both of them while I slowly bring the new computer up to speed to eventually take over as my main box. The difference in how the new computer deals with even turning the figures around on the screen in Poser while your setting up your scene is like night and day. Render speeds are much faster even with the original 512 ram I had in it to start with. A faster processor and more ram definitely handles the larger files created using V3 easier than the old computer. No big shock, but I will say I can use V3 with the old computer fine, I just have to wait longer for just about everything but it's not so bad I can't deal with it. I would imagine that it's going to be rougher for you with only a 330 mhz PC but maybe not impossible. If you can't afford a new computer yet max out the ram in your old one if it's cost effective to do so, or just save up and spend the money on a new computer when you can. I was amazed how much more bang for the buck I got over my first computer 3 to 4 years back. I've got four times the computer now for one third of the price. Good Luck with your rendering endeavors however you go about it!

Speedbump ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 1:32 AM

I have a P2 computer with only 382mb of ram and a 333 processor. I have used all the vicky's and a butt load of morphs and the like. But one thing I will mention and that is I HAVE PATIENCE. It works very slowly but tolerable to me anyway. I have poser pro pack also.

nysalor ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 2:48 AM

Thanks for the insights folks. Sounds like an expansion of RAM is the very least I require before trying V3. I'm quite patient with my figure work, but seeing that I already have to be patient with V/M2 figures, the extra workload will probably be too much for my present setup. Luckily, its not too long until tax refund time. :) I appreciate your comments. John

kawecki ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 6:03 AM

I am using a Pentium I-200Mhz with only 166M Ram with Vicky 3 with no problems. I am using Windows 95!, more older Windows more faster and better!

Stupidity also evolves!

Replicant ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 6:55 AM

Bear in mind that a Vicky3 pz3 file is much larger than a V2 one. I often attempt large scenes and almost choked my machine (P4 2.4Ghz, 1Gb RAM) on one of my recent renders. 6 Vickys, (3 of them Vicky3s) and the pz3 file weighed in at 479Mb. So an older system might cope with rendering a Vicky 3, but I doubt if you could put more than 1 in a scene. You'll save a bit on your system resources by using medium-res textures in place of hi-res as well. My experiences have shown that its the textures, not the geometry, that suck up your free RAM.

Expert in computer code including, but not limited to, BTW; IIRC; IMHO; LMAO; BRB; OIC; ROFL; TTYL. Black belt in Google-fu.

geoegress ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:57 AM

I have 633 mhz with 256k ram and it grones in protest with just one V3

gryffnn ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 11:34 AM

If you're doing a still picture with a lot of figures with clothing and hair, you can use the Paste onto Background command (Display menu?) to sequentially add figures to a background image If you first need them all together to set up their positions and poses, use lower resolution figures as placeholders, then Replace Figure as needed with the more demanding one. That way you can do a really complicated scene that exceeds the limits of your system. HTH, Elisa/gryffnn

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.