Sat, Sep 21, 7:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Ps won't work...

begga ( ) posted Tue, 06 May 2003 at 11:53 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 7:30 AM

Some times when I try to do something in Ps he shows this "Could not ....... because the scratch are full." I have tried to clean the disk, dump all the trash and still nothing. I know I don't have a great computer and the memory is low, but this does not happen all the time... So... any one? Please I'm helpless when Photoshop is not workin ;(

MikeOS9 ( ) posted Tue, 06 May 2003 at 4:36 PM

Hi I might not be the best person to answer this,I'm not a comp wiz, but i used to have that problem when i ran MacOS9. I assume your Running a Mac Right? The reason i think this is happening is because you have Virtual Memory on.Try turning Virtual Memory off and try running the app again.It's also a good idea if running photoshop with virtual memory on that you have a good amount of hardrive space. I don't know if that helps but it worked for me for a while. But remember that with virtual memory off you wont be able to run more that 2 programs at the most on the mac. I got really tired of this that's why i went and bought a pc,It solved that problem but now i have others. I guess one just has to have patience when it comes to computers

Grimtwist ( ) posted Tue, 06 May 2003 at 5:48 PM

The image you are working on is too large. Go to: Edit > Purge > All to dump the contents of your History files, Clipboard, and Undo.

begga ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 4:40 AM

Ok, I'm not runnig on Mac but 2000 Pro (sorry should have said that) but still thanks, I will try the Purge All. :)

SeanE ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 5:36 AM

set scratch disk to C:/ in the edit-preferences, reduce the history to 5 steps or so (down from 20) and maybe adjust the RAM used by the photoshop - all in "edit -preferences" If this was XP I would also say use the programm compatability wizard to emmulate win2k and not XP for this programme. I still have problems with my p/shop 7 after doing all this but not as many as before - mostly with the paintbrush and airbrush tools. Otherwise I have no hassles after doing this I still prefer my p/shop 5 as a result and so switch to 7 only when I need a feature not found in 5...a hassle but not a big problem for me.

bonestructure ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 7:43 AM

If your scratch file gets too large, it will shut photoshop down. This is because everytime you change something, it saves a new version of the image, along with all previous versions. It also stores anything you copy and paste. USE PURGE AND PURGE CLIPBOARD OFTEN. Just make sure you're satisfied with your changes before you purge.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

pstekky ( ) posted Wed, 07 May 2003 at 11:49 AM

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. The answers are correct, but to describe what the problem is for ya, Photoshop uses up to 5 times the image size in hard drive space, and that's what it's calling a "scratch disk". When you get this error, it just means as stated above, your hard drive is too full. If your image is 10 meg in size, you will need 50 meg free to work on it. So, before all the other troubleshooting steps, look to see how much space you have, then in PShop, go to Image > Image Size and see what the pixel dimension is. Make sure you're not accidentally working on a 1200dpi image or something. :) (It's happened) If it's for wallpaper and screen, keep it to 72dpi, if it's for print, try to stay around 150, (or 300 if size isn't a problem) Also, make sure that your height and width is OK. I had this problem with one person years ago that insisted his image was only 800 by 600. When I had him check, it was in inches, (at 300dpi.) Hope that helped without seeming intrusive. (PSTekky = Photoshop Tek grin) It's been a few years, but I still remember most of the tech questions. Hope I can help here.

karosnikov ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 7:32 PM

um... yeah... what he said only if you upgrade your sim card maybe you can get some improved performance... karo.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.