Sat, Sep 21, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: My first....

begga ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 4:34 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:32 AM

file_59504.jpg

Hi all, I finaly did it, sat down and gave this painting a change. I would love some help here, you know light, shadow and stuff.... BH :

Wladamire ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 6:33 PM

ask the poser people who dedicate themselves to poser :P

begga ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 6:52 PM

Sorry about that, but I have seen some great ps painters here, and all I'm aksing about is the photoshop painting. well I guess I will post this in Poser...

Wladamire ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 7:38 PM

nah im sure people will answer with good replies..i just dont know the answer. All I was saying was poser people might now more bout it since that is what they do. No need to be sorry its a good question.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2003 at 11:28 PM

Overall, very good work on the hair and dress to this stage. I've seen much worse from folks at this stage.
Here's a few suggestions for you:

1. I presume you created the hair and dress on separate layers...? Add a shadow layer for the hair layer, nudge it a few pixels to one side and down, to match the shadow direction shown for the dress folds. You'll need to do a bit of layer masking and a tiny bit of image warp to make it conform to the 'depth' of the underlying figure--ie., where it lays flat against the chest area use less distance between the shadow and the hair strands which 'cast' that shadow, and conversely, more distance where the body recedes from the hair (such as the right shoulder area). Ditto for the fine shadows of the lacing at the throat.

2)You have shadows laid in for the folds of the dress in the skirt area. You also need to add overall shading and brightness to avoid the flatness of the basic color across the entire dress.....since the light is indicated as coming from the left, the left side of the figure and dress should be lighter overall than the right side.

3)Not really sure about that wind-blown side of the skirt hem. Is the dress supposed to be one of those slant-cut things where one side drapes down to the floor? Try to visualize how the skirt would fall if there were no wind, and decide if that's how the dress would actually react to wind. (This one is really a judgement call and not a painting issue....)

Hope these suggestions help. These are just a few suggestions.

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

yomah ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2003 at 8:10 AM

I would like to add a suggestion. Make a layer that will serve as an indicator of your light source. Make a series of lines in perspective that would be the direction of the light rays. I would use some bright neon color and use this to guide you in determining where to place your highlights and shadows.

I hope this makes sense,
Yo

cryptojoe ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2003 at 6:35 PM

I hope to see more postings from people who do their main work in something outside of Photoshop.

I first posted to this Forum a couple of weeks back and put in for a broadcast of all postings to the forum. Inside two weeks, you make posting three and I was one of them (it's really quiet here).

My next logical step will be for G.I. Joe to do Barbie (hey better her than Ken) with making Rhino models for Poser. I know nothing about poser but expect to learn allot from people like you. So please, post away....

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

cryptojoe ( ) posted Thu, 22 May 2003 at 6:37 PM

It's a very nice dress!

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

spiderwebb ( ) posted Sun, 25 May 2003 at 11:27 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12379&Form.ShowMessage=1255958

My hat goes off to anyone with the talent & tenacity to take on the task of painting with photoshop. Great start begga, keep at it & post the results for us to see along the way. As for Rosemaryr & yomah, you're what makes a forum great...thanks! This link is for a discussion I posted over in photography that was relevant to photoshop painting. ~spidey

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.