Fri, Oct 4, 4:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: If you think poser isn't art.....(not what you think)

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 12:43 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 4:12 PM

Attached Link: http://www.mysticchamber.org/mychpages/moaf_sp.html

No, this isn't one of *those* threads..i promise...

A couple months ago I sent in 5 slides of my images to a jury for a rather large local art show (I live in SE Connecticut and the show is the Mystic Outdoor Art Festival for anyone who might be familiar) I sent them in about 3 days before the final deadline. I honestly thought I didn't have a snowball's chance of being accepted. Not because my work isn't good enough but because the MOAF is very "Old School" and I didn't think they'd accept my work because it was digital and not oils or pastels or watercolors. We were supposed to hear back by the first week in May. Well, the first week in May came and went and I didn't hear anything so I assumed that my work wasn't accepted and that I'd be receiving my refundable booth fee in the mail shortly. Yesterday afternoon, my phone rang...as I was being lazy on the couch, I let the machine get it and only caught the last part of the message which was "...congratulations. See you at the show." . My curiosity piqued slightly I got up and listened to the message and lo and behold! I've been accepted to the art show!! August 9th and 10th I will have an 8'x 8' booth in one of the largest and most prestigous art shows in New England in order to show and sell my art and even more importantly, get my name out there!

I just wanted to share this in case there are others out there who think, like I did, that because your work is digital it will never be accepted by the more traditional crowds...the world is changing and art, it appears, as well as artistic impression...is changing with it.

(the link is to the art show website)

Admin: http://www.artistsagainstcensorship.com
Artist: http://www.skyewolfimages.com

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 12:47 PM

Congrats 8-) Being in central CT, I'll try to stop in and see your booth.

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 12:52 PM

Hey cool thanks! I don't know where I'm located yet. But it'll be under the name SkyeWolf wherever I am :D

Lyrra ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 1:21 PM

Very Cool Skye :)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 1:28 PM

That is so wonderful, the exibit from last year looks really cool. Well congratulations and good luck, hope you win. Sharen

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 1:34 PM

Will you be using any of your pieces that are in your gallery here? Sharen

tonymouse ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 1:40 PM

Very very cool it is nice to see that things are starting to change. I hope it continues. I was/am a traditionally trained artist and did much painting with hairy sticks and sculpture. but for many reasons physical and time, digital is the only way to go for me. I have on occasion been quite frustrated but the reaction in "art" circle, like my work is some how less now. Regardless of the fact that there nothing I do digitally that I can't do "manualy" I can just work some what faster and more efficiently. The idea that your tools affect or change the level of talent is stupid and angering. So I am very happy for you and hope the trend continues

pstekky ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 1:50 PM

VERY cool. I had an opportunity here on the West Coast a few years back that I'm kicking myself now for nt taking advantage of. A local gallery wanted me to join in an art show. He wanted some of the local artists to display their work, and thought that having someone from the digital realm would be neat. Back then I had no way of producing poster sized prints though, so I had to decline. Just making a point that there are venues out there that will take us seriously. :) Never quit, keep selling yourself and your art. Rich

lululee ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 1:59 PM

Good Luck. An important step for all digital artists. Did you know that in the Native Indian traditions the sacred medicine of the Wolf is the pathfinder. The wolf goes ahead of the pak and finds water and food. Before the wolf eats or drinks it goes back to the pak and leads the community to the food and water. Your acceptence in the show and then sharing it with us in the community is a great honouring of your medicine. I wish you the best of luck and great prosperity both financial and artistic respect in your show.

fretshredder ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 2:24 PM

That's awesome ... congratulations. We knew "Poser Art" was legitimate art all along :-) Show off for us!!!

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 3:11 PM

Actually I will be using all pieces out of my gallery. Some of them I will re-render at a higher resolution in order to get good quality prints out of them and some of them I am going to re-work now that I am more accomplished with Photoshop painting. I've got 10 and one in progress I'm not sure if I am only allowed a certain number or not but these are the ones I am currently planning on exhibiting:

Insatiable
Loving Look
Lamia
Cheesecake in Red and Blonde
Dragon!
Alis Volat Propriis (re-worked)
Over My Dead Body
Who Guards the Guardian?
Thief!
Carly In The Morning (thinking of renaming)
Slumber (WIP)

SothArtist ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 3:13 PM

Thats exceptional Skywolf! Great stuff. I have had many run ins with the pretentious fine arts fraternity. At art school I was literally told I would never be a fine artist. This suited me well as I had already started to turn to CAAD. After i finnished school I found out about a scheme called NEIS which basically pays you the equivilent of unemployment benefits for 12 months while you establish a biz specifically for art. I had written a program which basically put Artist's folios on floppy disk as opposed to traditional slides. I presented this biz idea to the panel who was made up of fine artists. They literally laughed in my face and told me on the spot that the idea would never work and that I would not get on the NEIS scheme. That was back on 1994. Now virtually every artist has their folio on CD. Your story brings hope! Maybe the fine arts fraternity is finally catching up :) Well done again! Bruce

SophiaDeer ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 3:24 PM

Great news and congradulations!! My husband and I live in Watertown Connecticut ( that is between Waterbury and Danbury) and we will also try to make the show and cheer your work on! Thanks for the link to the Art Show. Warm Regards, Nancy Deer With Horns (SophiaDeer)

Nancy Deer With Horns
Deer With Horns Native American Indian Site

MachineClaw ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 3:33 PM

Great stuff, congrads on getting accepted! just out of curiosity how are you doing the prints? what medium and sizes are you going to show? I keep going to kinko's for prints and have stopped cause I haven't been liking their quality lately. recently I've been using a photo developer that uses the Kodak photo system, prints up to 16x19 on canvas, different papers etc. and it uses a 3 pass cemical to produce a photograph from TIF computer files. It's been an experience getting my photo restorations as a photo film for clients and its archival due to the cemical. again congrads on the show, that's really cool and insperational. Eventually when I get more of my own art together I want to do something similar, glad someone else is breaking new ground!

Jay7347 ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 3:50 PM

Skye my most sincere congrats to you. I've done some art shows back in my photography days. It was a challenge. My hope since getting into digital was to get back to art shows in addition to doing illustration. I always had the mental block of acceptance of digital. You have given me new hope, and that is a wonderful thing. Thanks and best of luck! -jay

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 4:00 PM

Congratulations!!!! As newbie to all this..it gives me great hope & inspiration to keep trudging along with Poser. I'm somewhat proficient with PSP(which some people say is crap as well)..it's just what you can with tools that are supplied. I am interested in all aspects of 3d art...as soon as I get come along with Poser...will be moving along to Bryce/Vue & eventually to 3dMax etc. I'm trying to go slow & take one thing at a time...for me it's very hard I'm an impatient person & HATE my current job. I'm an accountant that just sort of fell into this career path...they didn't have this kind of stuff when I was in college...just programming in COBOL which is now obsolete...siiigh. Anyhow being a realist I know there is not much money to be had in digital art..but I just want to happy in what I do(hope to make some money at some point). I'm 43 & keep telling myself youa re not too old for a change over & over & any spare time I have I just keep learning...keeps the brain alreat anyway. Debby

juleyanne ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 5:57 PM

Congratulations! Best of luck to you, :)

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 8:02 PM

Hmm let's see I've got a couple places. http://www.zazzle.com and http://www.cafepress.com both have a wide array of printing options. I think Zazzle's are a bit more....high end. I am planning on offering a small selection of note cards that I will most likely order from Zazzle. I also put out a 2003 Calendar this year that no one ordered copies of so I plan on ordering one and using as a sample it to take pre-orders for a 2004 calendar. That I do through CafePress. My prints I will be ordering through Shutterfly (I think...hope) Because my funds are a bit tight, what I plan on doing is this. I feel my best piece is "Dragon!" so I plan on getting that in 20" x 30" and using it as a focal center point and ordering everything else in 11' x 14 to put up around it. All exhibits are also for sale. I will then order 8" x 10" prints to keep in sheet protectors in a binder and take orders. I am going to do up a price list listing the prices for ordering everything from note cards to the nice big ones on Canvas I can get from Zazzle.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 8:13 PM

What size renders are you doing in order to produce a 20x30...ie screen size...or does the "printer" handle this. Was curious about that...enlarging..if that degrades the intial quality. Obviously a newbie question.... TIA

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 8:23 PM

I do most of my original renders at 3000 x whatever (3000 being whatever the widest is be it length or width) 100 dpi. I just had to retouch slightly my Dragon! image to get it to even out because up until a short while ago I only did renders at screen res (72 dpi) and slightly smaller. The larger size helps with the post work too. Anyway, I had to clone some of the stars on either side to get it to come out to 30" wide but it still looks pretty awesome. I also upped the dpi on a resize in Photoshop to 300. Didn't seem to kill the quality at all. I'll let you know when I get the print. :D Anyway, as far as screen size goes...it's pretty damn big. At 100 dpi that's a 1:1 ratio. It's as big on screen as real life...at 300 it's a 3:1 ratio. It's 3X bigger on screen than in real life. Like I said...pretty damn big. You can't "enlarge" a jpeg generally that will degrade the quality. When you render, save it as a tif image, tifs are "lossless" file formats, Jpegs and Gifs are considered "lossy" meaning when you save them, they tend to lose data, thereby degrading the quality with each subsequent re-save. I try to keep my image in .psd format until I'm ready to save the absolute final image, usually reduced to put up on R'osity. I save the final psd, then flatten the image and save it as a jpeg, close the original psd without saving the flattend image so you will always have your large layered original to go back to. Then I reduce the jpeg to a good display size for here and save it again. Sorry if that got too in depth or wasn't really the information you were looking for... LOL I tend to babble :D

PabloS ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 8:31 PM

Wow Skye! Congrats! Keep us posted, ok?

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 8:37 PM

Great info!!! Thank you VERY much!!!!:):):) I've always wondered about that. Very good info here!!! Thanks again!!! Good Luck in your endevours..your work is gorgeous...The Dragon & Thief are my fav's. Debby

Patricia ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 9:40 PM

What absolutely wonderful news!! Your work is beautiful and I'll bet you're going to sell like crazy! This is really encouraging news, since I once was a pro artist doing traditional media and have often wondered if my digital stuff would be acceptable at shows and galleries. I'm so glad you posted this--you've given me even more incentive to slog away at Poser until I get it right :)

jenay ( ) posted Tue, 03 June 2003 at 4:47 AM

hi - that's cool !! congrats and good luck. i just had a peek in your gallery - great work there :) joek

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Tue, 03 June 2003 at 7:21 AM

Skye, great job! I won't be able to see your booth since I'm from Germany, but like the others I'm very happy to hear that finally 3D art is getting better attention these days. Congrats for being accepted. I also agree that "Dragon!" is you best one - might be because of depicting a dragon... ;) Made a similiar dragon pic myself a few days ago. So if you're interested take a peek into my gallery while clicking on the little dragon below. :) But your other works are great stuff, too. I'd be really interested how the exposition brought you foward on your career. So please keep us other 3D artist udated how your story continues. :))) Keep up the great work! All the best, Phil

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Tue, 03 June 2003 at 7:55 AM

Thanks everyone for all your support! I will def. keep everyone posted. As soon as I get my exhibitor package in the mail I will let everyone who wants to attend know where I'll be stationed :D Thanks!!

pookah69 ( ) posted Tue, 03 June 2003 at 8:13 AM

People used to say the same thing about Photography (and some people still do say it.) "It isn't art, because all you have to do is point and shoot." Photography has become a collectible, and affordable, art form. Digital art will rise in the public's esteem as the really good digital art rises to the top.

thip ( ) posted Tue, 03 June 2003 at 3:08 PM

Congrats - "we shall overcome one day" ;o) This might be one of the first small steps, but those are the most important ones, IMHO !!!

Lunaseas ( ) posted Tue, 03 June 2003 at 6:04 PM

Attached Link: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/k/i/kirsten/kirsten.html

Cool Skye!!! Congrats...I also have made a small step in this regard. A poser piece of mine made moderators choice at Elfwood. Please check it out....make comments...drown out the people that say "it's good despite it being done on computer"

Smitthms ( ) posted Wed, 04 June 2003 at 2:01 AM

Congrats Skye.... I am extatic for you & good luck :o) Thomas

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.