Sat, Sep 21, 6:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: * A Demo Reel *. June 2003...

Phoul ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2003 at 11:44 AM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 9:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.belino.net/

file_62069.jpg

For fun... New Demo Reel at my website www.belino.net. Shots made with PPP, Mimic 2 pro, Vue/Mover4. Many thanks to [Silver/Posertrax](http://market.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?Who=silver) for the wonderful music ! *QuickTime 6 format. About 11 mo. 2'10''.*. Hope you'll like.

Philippe

nish ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2003 at 1:22 PM

Amazing! Awesome! Better then the first two.

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2003 at 2:26 PM

=Very Nice=! I like what Posertrax did with the theme music, as well. Sigh. Having to start over on the animation project I was working on. Got a file corruption, and I was at the stage of doing things like breast reaction motions, the beginnings of roughing out the expressions. I think SR 3 did something to Poser 5, as it will no longer create an exportable pz2. BVH files can be a royal PITA to work with, sometimes.....

Phoul ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2003 at 3:10 AM

Thanks both.
Dale good luck in your animated works !

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2003 at 5:27 AM

Thanks Phillipe, I'll need it! But hopefully one day I'll have something done that've viewable...

draklava ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2003 at 2:08 PM

Phoul - I really like the castle/church fly through. You could probably make some creepy haunted house kind of footage with that. You've inspired me to play around with something like that. Thanks for sharing!!

draklava ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2003 at 2:43 PM

I have question for Mover users (and Phoul). Do most people render to raw and then compress later or is there a favorite compression scheme? I just used the top one that was selected by default and it looked really bad. Then rendered to raw which was large but better looking. Do many people use Quicktime Pro? Can you import raw into quicktime and save compressed?

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2003 at 3:06 PM

It depends on what you you are doing, how much time you intend to invest, and what system resources you have. As far as codecs, I've had the best luck with the DivX 4.12 codec. Clean, crisp, and a reasonable file size. Many who do animations -will- render the frames out as seperate stills, and compile them in something like QT Pro; the main reason for this is the amount of time animation rendering can take, and the odds of a gremlin aborting the render go up the longer it takes (There is also the fact that you can, if you are truly a masochist, take the seperate frames into a paint program and adjust or add extra effects). By saving the raw frames, you can restart the render from the last good frame, and continue onward. The one thing you will need to have is -plenty- of hard drive space for the seperate frames. I tend to render with the DivX 4.12 codec, but then I also have a 3 node render garden to play with (soon to be 4; you can build a basic box for a couple of hundred dollars if you shop wisely, and settle for a couple of slices back from the bleeding edge. It also allows you to have secondary applications on one of the renderboxes, so you can surf or do other things and not disturb the controller).

Phoul ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2003 at 4:06 PM

Excellent, Dale B !
Can't say more.
I render seperate stills (jpg at 100%), and compile.

nish ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2003 at 12:25 AM

This is a thread I have to save for future reference! Thanks Dale B. ... right now, just getting inspiration by keeping Phoul in bookmark! :-)

dolly ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2003 at 3:10 AM

HEY all i need to knowq how i save the animation as jpg for later manipulation how is this doen as i cant find the option to do so cheers dolly

Phoul ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2003 at 5:17 AM

Dolly, when you decide to render an animation, a default file appears. Avi file (under PC). In that last dialogue box before you click render, you can change easily the extension (roll menu). If you take jpg, just after, you'll see a message about quality. Take 100%.
Hope it is the answer to your question.

dolly ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2003 at 5:43 AM

Great trie dit and it worked thanks bery much phoul nice one mate cheers dolly ps btw i think the new demo you did is awesome good job mate

draklava ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2003 at 12:52 PM

Thanks Dale B and Phoul!

Phoul - a few more questions about your technique if you don't mind sharing...

How big was the model used in the church looking fly through? Do you find that having things larger than normal makes animating easier. I have not tried many sweeping shots but wonder if it's hard to "populate" an area enough that it looks real as the camera pans through.

Also, I was wondering if you use Vue for your explosions or if you use a program like After Effects to do this.

Phoul ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2003 at 1:01 PM

The explosion of the plane (in the demo) was done in Vue ;-))) Just 2 animated volumetric lights, with smoke inside, and animated parts of the model. :-)
About 'the model used in the church looking fly through', it is a wonderful, awesome, perfect, cheapper model Virtual Backlot - Cathedral Creation Kit by Liteluvr.

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 11 June 2003 at 4:02 PM

Oh yes, Liteluvr does -wonderful- stuff. Another structure modeller who I've gotten to like a lot is Ironhart. Liteluvr's Virtual Backlot series is just that; like a movie backlot, where there -is- no interior to the buildings you see. That way, he can devote more polygons and textures to the outside, and improve detail. Ironhart's stuff would be best for following a character from the outside into the dwelling; he does the interiors on his houses. With some careful texturing, you can combine the two, using LL's stuff for the street scenery, and IH's stuff to actually enter (and there Tuesday, who makes seems to make a high res photorealistic texture set for every one of Ironhart's house models). And you will want to be careful about scaling when you create a scene; that can have an effect on the apparent speed that you are moving (a nice benefit or a nightmare, dependin on what you wanted to do). Philippe, I still haven't figured out how you set up that tutorial you didn't get to. The one about multiple movements (camera and item) in Vue....(hint hint... ;) ).

Phoul ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2003 at 6:55 AM

That one ? ;-) I should. Well I'll try (miss time you know).

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2003 at 2:19 PM

Do I ever know about time. This real world stuff =really= gets in the way of the fun sometimes....

draklava ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2003 at 2:26 PM

Speaking of time... I used a free pixelfader set from 3dWorld magazine. I guess it has a lot of polygons cuz it was taking nearly 20 minutes to render one frame. I set up a small camera movement and network rendered overnight using 2 nodes - it only got about 50% done. I decided to kill the render and see how the first half looked... Turns out I lost my camera movement and spent 8+ hours rendering a static image for 70 frames :) Live and learn I guess! Phoul, how many hours do you think it took to render your latest demo reel?

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2003 at 2:30 PM

draklava; Forgot to mention the size issue. Both Ironhart and Liteluvr's stuff is Poser ready, and scaled to be used out of the box with the standard size Poser figure. So if you do character animations for import into Vue, you get to set up the building in Poser as well (most of LL and all of IH's stuff has articulated doors; some have opening windows and shutters). Another =excellent= series of Ready for Poser (and hence Vue) useage architecture is over at RDNA; Transpond has done a complete Roman Villa (in 4 seperate sections, no less. You can just get what you want, or the whole shebang. And it has MAT poses to locate the sections either default, or where they would go in sequence), a Home across a bridge spanning a river with a waterfall a 'la Rivendell in tone, and a few others. They all import into Vue with no complaint, and no texture problems that I have found (so far).

Phoul ( ) posted Thu, 12 June 2003 at 2:39 PM

How many hours do you think it took to render your latest demo reel?
No idea for that demo. Each shot had its time ;-) Some of them were very long. But I can say it is always between 2 or 3 days 480x270 pixels, on 1 PC (a P IV 2.53).
The most longer was the first shot of Fools Games: 5 days!
Before I launch a render of a complex camera mvt, could have between 40 ans 90 previews. And all of my shot has is own method. Perhaps patience is the first secret, isn't it?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.