Wed, Oct 2, 9:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Finished with "dimm" experiments. THE P5 pc from hell, please?

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 12:36 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 9:42 PM

I've had it. No more blackout crashes. I built this pc last year and have pumped it up to 3gigs. There is a problem that cannot be solved, and being unable to finish my favorite PZ3s, I ask you...
What is the best rendering pc you've heard of for P5(within reason, or under $4000)? In an earlier thgread, I saw mention of an 8gig mem motherboard. But does Poser recognize more than 3?
I want to get it right this time. I'll wait until DazStudio is out, but any tried and punished pc configurations you believe in would be appreciated. Any format

layingback ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 12:50 PM

I didn't think any single Windows application could use more than 2GB... Or has 2000/XP lifted that restriction, without needing separate application image for NT systems? And remember that's virtual memory of 2GB, not just real memory. So Windows may have your system at ~6GB virtual already unless you overrode it. Sounds crazy but have you tried running P5 limited to <2GB (to keep it out of trouble). Say 1GB real, plus 960MB virtual?

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 1:27 PM

I should of mentioned that I,m back down to 2gigs. This proved to be more reliable. My memory (brain) is sometimes virtual, I'm told, but I think I reset that a few monthes ago when I pulled the memory stick. I'll double check. I never touched a pc until I bought P5 last year, so the "hill" has been quite steep for me. Thanks for the reply. R

onnetz ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 2:39 PM

spend $4000 on a pc for a $300 program?... my suggestion is to spend that money on a program that doesnt need rediculous amounts of mem...

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

layingback ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 3:46 PM

onnetz, Good point! 'Tis hard to see how you would spend $4K. Was looking at a ultra fast Video Editing system - with the software - and it came out under $3K ;-)

DominiqueB ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 4:13 PM

In canadian dollars a good graphic's computer is over $4000 without the monitor. Anything 3d or high rez 2d will put a computer to it's knees real fast so you got to go high on the specs. Never enough ram. If you are serious about 3d, Poser is not the way to go, get Lightwave, 3d studio or Maya, and wait for Daz studio's export modules to send Vickie and Mike over to the real rendering engines.

Dominique Digital Cats Media

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 4:25 PM

8gigs of memory. that was the logic. Before this thread is buried, any suggestions?

onnetz ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 4:35 PM

lol. the logic is, that if you need 8 gigs of memory, somthing is terribly wrong....

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 4:39 PM

Sorry. Missed that Dominique. Mais non! My business can't handle another learning curve of 6mos or another 6000.00 Software. Not to mention my Runtime>Lib investment. Daz studio and Lightwave (maybe), are all that's on the horizon

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 4:55 PM

onnetz. I understand that logic also. But images are growing faster than the hardware. And I won't give up V3. Crazy about her. thanks for the reply. R

lalverson ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 6:13 PM

As with anything computer, "It depends". If you are using P5 ythen places to look for the crashes are Lights, bump maps in .BUM form and texture sizes. If while you were loading your Pz3 did ANY figure ask for a texture and you manually located it and loaded it. then later saved it. if yes then that is part of the problem P4/5 if they cannot locate a texture may or may not work past the error burt attempting to same the Document is a wast of time. From what you have provided the system should handle P5, or P4 for that matter. Things I would ask are what is the processor, What OS and what are the virtual memory settings you are using. But I'm gonna assume it's a better than 1G processor running on a 2K,Me,XP platform. Sad to say if all those are true or I have covered your system acuratly, then IF P5 worked as advertised/hyped you should be a rendering fool. Since the system I poser on has 1/3 the memory and doesn't crash P5 too Badly, that is when I run it. I found that even the latest SR didn't really help things I mentioned above, particulary the texture calls. they still are looking for the exact path from the cr2/pz3/etc and if after that turns up nothing and the whole system scan fails to find it, It finally asks you where it is, then depending on the size of the texture could crash. and if you say cancel the search the system crashes You may happen to have one of the systems that P5 just plain fails on. since it's release that has dwindled but still remains. What I do. is set up a scene in $pro and save it and load up 5 and then load that scene and do whatever final P5 bits I need (Mirriors and such) then hit render. and not move the camera and not resave the scene, but export the image. From the pure hardware POV, your system , assuming all other applications are working and Poser is the only failing app. then your Memory. HDD and the rest are good and there is little reason that your system should work poser with few problems, if any. Again this is assuming that P5 works at least as good as Poser4.

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2003 at 8:41 PM

You're a good man Lalverson. Thanks for the monster reply. A dozen pages of renders in your gallery! I'm going to be patient or I'm gonna shoot myself. But crashing during saves is too much sometimes. Thanks, R

hogwarden ( ) posted Fri, 20 June 2003 at 5:35 AM

Fix your bad texture references within your pz3's with CorrectReference! (freestuff>utilities) H:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.