Tue, Oct 22, 4:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Downloading Information

krbtv ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 7:07 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 4:36 AM

I've found many free site but once I download the file I don't know what to do with it. Somtimes their are jpg files, other times texture templates, and pp2 files, and rsr files..... How do you know what to do? Also Zygote had a Castle texture map but I didn't see a Castle. Why is that?

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 7:41 PM

Check out the great Poser FAQ by Kevin Rose. About half way down, it has a table that explains what all the Poser file formats are. http://www.crosswinds.net/~vladt/poser/faq/faq.htm or, check out the answer by LoboUK in this thread: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=74885

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 7:49 PM

Forget all that. Just read through that old thread again and saw that Stormrage had done a full How-To and Reference Guide on Poser file types: http://jupiter.spaceports.com/~omnitut/poser/files/files.html

Jon ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 7:52 PM

Most files should have a readme in them so make sure you read that first. However, you should become familiar with your Poser directories: Runtime/Geometries - this is where an .obj file goes something which is rarely given out since most files are based on existing Poser geometry, if it is then instructions are almost always included. Anything here is case sensitive so be careful. Do not confuse this with just simple wavefront objects which can be placed anywhere and imported into Poser. They can then be added to the props library if you like. cr2 - is the extension of a figure comprising of various parts, most of the time poseable and in the case of clothing conformmable. Cr2s can be placed lik this: Runtime/Libraries/Characters/any folder you like It makes no difference where they are. pp2 goes in the prop library, some are smart props (that is, they apply to the correct position on the figure. To make a smart prop, position it how you like, parent it and then save it in the library. hr2 are the hair files pz2, hd2, fc2 are for poses, hand poses and faces respectively. Finally, lt2 and cm2 are your light and camera settings. Open up the Poser directories in your windows explorer, if that's what you're running and look through them to get an idea. Many times zips will automatically unzip to a certain path which if you don't know will have a hard time finding where everything went. It's a good idea to unzip to a temporary folder (I usually keep one on my desktop) and then manually place everything so you can see where everything goes, this will also help familiarize you with all the file directories. Textures can go in your textures folder or anywhere else. Sometimes though, people save things with textures preapplied and neglect to inform us of the path so Poser will ask you for them. Also, some people give .jpg's but have actually saved the file in .tif. Usually you just have to wait till Poser loads the figure without the texture, apply it yourself and RESAVE the figure/prop if you don't want to go through that again. Regarding Zygote, they have a weekly freebie at their site but after that it is usually sold in the Zygote store, hence the textures may be available but if you want the item you will have to buy it. So check there regularly.

krbtv ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 7:57 PM

You are all so great. This is just the information I've been looking for.

Jon ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 7:58 PM

I wish there was a way to see what others are answering to a thread while I'm writing away :) would have saved me the trouble, thanks for the url Nance, Stormrage's tutorials are very clear, thorough and immediately understandable.

artnik ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 8:16 PM

The most confusing files to me are the .obj files. I'm talking about the Geometry specific ones, like morphs,etc. Exactly where are they supposed to go? I've downloaded programs with just morph targets, or body geometries without any readme. How do I find the right places to put them?

Jon ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 8:25 PM

The morph targets go anywhere, you have to apply them from within poser anyway. I have a directory on my backup drive with all the morph targets in categories for easy reference. You can even have them on a cd and apply them from there. Once you apply a morph target then it is part of the figure and slowly increases file size too, beware!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.