Sun, Sep 22, 3:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Packaging for user friendly downloads

Lemurtek ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2000 at 11:29 PM ยท edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:46 AM

Hey all- Ok, in another thread several people were complaining about how some poser downloads were zipped, i.e. with paths. I probably should have asked before I sent off my contributions to free stuff, but, anyway, what seems to be a consensus (if there is one) on how to package stuff so it's easiest to use for both newbies and old hands? every thing in one dir, or no paths at all, or separate folders in the runtime/etc fashion or what? And what about textures? JPEG, TIFF or other format? Naming conventions? PC/Mac cross platfrom issues? Any other do's and don'ts? Or is there a FAQ I could read somewhere? Thanks- Lemurtek

Chailynne ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2000 at 11:37 PM

I happen to like mine in directories. But I drag and drop from Winzip into the directories instead of letting them unzip to the directories. That way I know where things are and can change them around if I need to, yet still give me an idea if I am unsure where to put them.

Geekholder ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 12:26 AM

Personally, I like them in directories too, even though I drag them individually like Chailynne. Having a directory structure in the Zip file shows me where thigns are supposed to go. I use a Macintosh. As far as cross platform issues go, please package the files in some sort of standard format (Zip is best as it is widely supported). A few of the FreeStuff submissions I've downloaded have been self-extracting .exe files, which not only pose a problem for Macs they force everyone else to hope that they're not about to infect their PC with a virus by running it. MartinC's MacConverter is so incredibly fantastic that I never worry about getting items converted over from the PC Poser formats now. For image formats, I think jpg on a high quality setting is best. TIFF files tend to be larger (albeit without any compression loss), and bmp is aweful.

leeroy5 ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 2:17 AM

hi think the directories is the best way for beginner. and if use some special items; obj; a good url on the readmefile so i can find the special stuff. now i make my first download an to not this easy way, but it is my first an i have to learn it. sorry leeroy

LoboUK ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 4:03 AM

My personal opinion is that paths are the best way to go. That way, there is no worry about where anything needs to be put - although you do kinda get a grip on it after a while :) Paul

MartinC ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 5:00 AM

It looks like it's a little known fact, but StuffIt Expander usually will expand self-extracting .exe files - just drag it onto it. You will notice a longer "freeze like" delay ("Oooops! What's this!? Let's see if I find something .zip-like hidden inside..." :-) but usually it will then start to expand it. Nevertheless - self-extracting archives are a bad idea on both platforms - it's a useless overhead, it creates the risk of virus distribution like Geekholder stated, and it is really safe to assume that everyone able to conntect to the net will be able to have a decent expander installed on the system as well.

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 11:04 AM

Please, if you do use paths in the zipfile, don't start at the root, but rather start AFTER the point where you're already IN Poser. c:ProgramFilesMetacreationsPoser 4etc, etc,= BAD, HORRIBLE, MAY THE FLEAS OF A THOUSAND CAMELS INFEST YOUR LEFT GREAT TOE RuntimeGeometriesYadda, yadda, yadda = WONDERFUL, MARVELOUS, MAY YOU BE AN HOUR IN HEAVEN BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD Thank you.

twoblade ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 2:19 PM

Have to agree with Kate there. The only problem with starting back at the beginning is that with all the platforms people can use (Mac, 98, 95, 2000, NT, Poser 3, Poser 4) the paths may be a hinder mor than a help. If you zip, and use paths, make sure they are starting with the runtime folder. Much simpler. Just my Copper piece. Twoblade

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 6:30 PM

Echoing KateTS & Twoblade! - Do not include the path above " /Runtime/ " And now, some archival concerns: -add your name to the zip filename -include a readme (but please name it something unique other than "readme.txt") -include a thumbnail WITHIN the zip (for a year from now when I've forgotten what "oTsJrT^&%$.cr2" was) -please make sure it contains all the custom textures or props that the file will search for when opening.

Lemurtek ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2000 at 9:27 PM

Thanks all. Good ideas, I've saved this thread for future use. Regards- Lemurtek

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.