Sat, Sep 21, 12:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: copyright question

adam ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2000 at 3:19 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:57 AM

Attached Link: http://thibs.menloschool.org/~fanmail3d/snowboards.jpg

If I was to post these snowboard designs on the Internet for a custom snowboard company and then selling the design, would it be breaking any copyright laws? Using the Poser figure and all? Thanx, Adam

kyrin ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2000 at 3:33 PM

I don't think so, because they are just images (unless you didn't do the pictures yourself). That is kinda the point of poser...to make this kinda stuff. The give you the right to use the images however you wish.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2000 at 3:36 PM

UNLESS you already have a contract with the snowboard manufacturers that restricts your rights (i.e., if you sold the electronic distribution rights to them, then you'd be violating the copyright). If you do have any contract with them, go over it with a fine toothed comb and see what you sold them. If you don't have a contract, talk to them first.

melanie ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2000 at 8:15 PM

The images you render with Poser are yours and automatically copyrighted by you. It's kind of like writing a story in WordPerfect. The story you wrote is yours and you don't owe WordPerfect or Corel anything for using their word processor. You can't, however, sell or distribute the meshes that came in Poser. Melanie

kyrin ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2000 at 11:01 PM

That is exactly what I was trying to say above, melanie. As I understand the way things work, doing a picture with anything, from Poser to a napkin and a bit of ketsup, it's your picture. No matter what the medium. You just can't rip the meshes in there original digital form. I.E. the geometry itself. That is like taking a G.I. Joe or starwars figure and repainting it and calling it yours. (Although you could sell a picture of it!) Kyrin

brainmuffin ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2000 at 12:24 AM

actually, you could sell the repainted G.I. Joe. People sell collectible Barbie dolls that aren't officially liscensed by mattel. But a Poser figure is more like a five dollar bill. You can own it, trade it, cut it up into tiny pieces, if you like(not quite sure if that's legal...) You can scan it into your computer, cut out Abe Lincoln's face and stick it on a billboard. But if you photocopy it and pass it off as real, you're in trouble.

MartinC ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2000 at 2:41 AM

If you are using default Poser and/or Zygote models/stuff, you can do whatever you want with the pictures (because the license contract allows it). However, if you use FreeWare stuff you should carefully read the enclosed read-me's, because a lot of the creators restrict the usage of their work to non-commercial purposes - and everyone should respect this. If in doubt, it's never a mistake to contact the creator and ask for it.

adam ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2000 at 3:00 AM

Thanx guys! It was all helpful.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.