Sat, Sep 21, 6:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Importing 3ds files into Poser. Poser gurus help please!

schnaps ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 1:48 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:27 PM

My question is... I've created some models that have seperate parts to be used in Poser. For example I made an apple. The apple has two parts. The first part is the stem, the second is the apple itself. When I import the model into Poser, it automatically makes these 2 seperate pieces into one, thereby making texturing the 2 parts seperately near impossible with Poser's material lab. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 1:54 PM

I would suggest this, bring your 3ds into Poser and export it as an object, it should at least keep your materials list, hoping your materials are stem and apple. Then bring object into UV mapper and you should be able to separate the groups by material. Sharen

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 1:56 PM

Does poser not recognize the 2 materials? What are you creating this 3ds in? Are you assigning materials? Sometimes you can still bring it into UV mapper and see the stem and then just separate it and give it it's own material by selecting it.....did I loose you? Sharen

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 2:23 PM

You have 2 choices. To make a cr2 figure, you have to import the 2 parts separately into poser. Then you can export them as a single obj file (with only the 1st export option checked), create a PHI file or make a hierarchy, and use the obj as the geometry for your figure. Or else, do as sharen suggested. Give them separate materials, import them together and separate them by material. It would help to know what app you created them in. If it was 3d max, for example, you can get the Habware obj export plug-in for free, and export them as obj. The problem with importing 3ds to poser is poser's import dialog. The only way to control scale is by 'percentage of figure size'. With 2 different objects, this can be a pain. There are ways round it though. mac

schnaps ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 3:53 PM

I would like to be able to keep the models as 3ds files since they require much less space than obj files. I know how to texture obj files. I was just wondering if there is any way to tell poser not to group the parts. p.s. I tried assigning seperate materials and Poser didn't make any change. Poser has a worthless import tool. :(

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 25 June 2003 at 5:06 PM

Well, I agree that poser has a useless import tool, but I've never had any problems with materials. I import everything in 3ds format, then convert it to obj, so I have a fair bit of experience at it. One thing you should do is uncheck ALL options on the import dialog, other than the 'percentage of figure size' if you're using it. The only way to NOT group the parts, is import them separately, unless you're program allows a plug-in option. mac

Wizzard ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 5:09 AM

or use Poser's grouping tool.. select by material.. then assign material... then apply the UVmapping option ? then when/if you save it as a pp2, the texturing co-ordinates will be there. But if you want the 3ds to import with co-ords already there? you'd have to use a format that supports it. which unfortunately in Poser is the wavefront obj's... CHeers.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.