Fri, Sep 20, 4:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: somebody help me about lighting?????

sutoms ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 4:48 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 12:03 PM

how to show the bulb lensflare effect when the bulb where in the transparant objects

TOXE ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 5:12 AM

Maybe someone know the right method, but from my experience i think that is not possible... You can see the effects only when the light have a little part out of your transparent object or when the point of view allow you to see the bulb, but i'm almost sure that isn't the effect that you need. BTW Good luck!! -TOXE

cckens ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 9:53 AM

Sutoms, Put a bulb with brightness at 1% just outside the box in front of the object (uncheck CAST SHADOWS box) and activate the lens flare.. The low setting will not interfere with the lighting of the scene and it will show the lens flare. Do not drop the brightness to 0% as this just turns off the light, and consequently the lens flare. As far as I know, this is the only way to accomplish the effect. Light will pass through transparent objects, but the effects will not. Check a couple of threads back and you will see something about the refraction settings that seemed to be buggy. Same basic thing... Ken dork.gif

bluetone ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 10:38 AM

cckens is right that it won't show through, but the reason is that lens flare, like blur and DOF, are post effects, so they happen AFTER the render. Since the bulb is already rendered it can't show the effect through the object. I believe it actually is happening, just only INSIDE the bulb! :>

sfdex ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 1:32 PM

You can fake a lens flare with Photoshop or some other image editing packages, as well, in post-render image manipulation. If it's an animation, you can render it as image sequences and add the flare in photoshop one frame at a time, or you can use an effects package like AfterEffects.... Unfortunately, Carrara's renderer doesn't realize that the lightbulb it's seeing through the transparent object (or reflected in a reflictive object, either) should also cause a lensflare....

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 8:32 PM

I think it was EricofSD that put up a tut a long time ago for Bryce. The idea was to make a series of spheres that were so transparent that they were barely visable so many units apart coming towards your camera and let the light play off those. I think he incorporated a cone or cylinder as well. You might be able to get something decent this way in Carrara if you play with the shaders enough? cheers, - TJ

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 12:20 AM

Attached Link: http://www.annsartgallery.com/suntut.html

You mean this stupid thing?

bikermouse ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 1:06 AM

Not stupid; that's the one - I think with a little thought, the information will convert to Carrara, don't you?

Kixum ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 11:56 AM

You might be able to put a set of spheres in a line and use something like shader ops to get it to produce the disks in line from the source to the edge of the camera. I think it would be easier to take on the two light approach. For the animation aspect of it, you could group the two lights, put the hotpoint of the group at the center of the main light and add the "point at" behavior of the group to point at the camera. That way the "flare" light is always in line with the source light as the camera moves. For other post rendering effects, I've used a spot light set at 1 degree angle and pointed them at the camera. This removes the light the "effect" light is introducing into the scene because it's only shining on the camera. I usually do this in combination with a bulb light that has to be behind something. Seems to work fine. -Kix

-Kix

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.