Thu, Sep 19, 5:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:21 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Calla Lily Tea...a poem

Azha ( ) posted Fri, 20 June 2003 at 6:36 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 6:49 AM

You woman, Masculine in single-mindedness For whom the word was more than a symptom, a condition of being The ordinary milkman bought that dawn of destiny, delivered to the door In square hermetic bottles He said: "I would like to speak Of this flower dying, according to The curve of a thought Of oblivion it offers in the shelter of the sun And, of multiplied love." This is the light of the mind Cold and Planetary The trees of the mind are black The light is blue, the grasses unload their griefs on my feet as if I were God, the only sanity is a cup of tea this was the last poem I posted with one of my images (In Absolute), but I forgot to link it here. I put it here under the original title. Give it the run down TJ. Hope you all enjoy.

"Every line means something."
Jean Michel Basquiat

tjames ( ) posted Sun, 22 June 2003 at 4:18 AM

l2 I never though of single-mindedness as being a masculune trait, nor in l 16 would I imagine the trees of the mind to be black. A fertile imagination is alive and flowers with the joy of a thousands blooms. I also wonder if I would drink tea from a lilly which is a toxic plant. If a poem is to be surreal the images of the dream should emote a positive reflection. The symbols even the card flicking slow motion scene of a milkman walking across the walk should still wander far from the ambiguity of self and towards the extension of a common reality. The images should be born in the traffic of a freeway and smell of the jet fumes of a moment past.

Azha ( ) posted Sun, 22 June 2003 at 12:13 PM

LOL surely you jest?

Jean Michel Basquiat

Crescent ( ) posted Sun, 22 June 2003 at 1:31 PM

I've heard single-mindedness linked to men more than women, supposedly because they were the hunters - focused on the prey, while women are supposedly more aware of their surrounds because they were the gatherers. I don't know if I believe that, but it's a theory. Anyhoo, the poem struck me like Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds crossed with The Jabberwocky. I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Being a bit literal, most of the poem just didn't catch (then again, I don't like most surreal or abstract stuff, so it's not a reflection on your poem.) I do like the line "the only sanity is a cup of tea." I think that describes life quite succinctly. I'm very tempted to adopt that as my motto, actually. :) Sorry I can't be of more help, Cres

meico ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 2:50 PM

Hmm ... I rather enjoyed the image shifts and the hallucinatory tone of the poem. Also many's the time the trees of my mind have been but shadows - black against the multicoloured backdrop of intrusive reality. I'll content myself, therefore, with simply enjoying the poem.

meico ( ) posted Thu, 26 June 2003 at 3:14 PM

file_63544.jpg

Can't supply the original ... will this one do?

Azha ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 5:16 AM

Awww thank you meico how beautiful of you I love the image wow I never would have thought the poem would move someone this way, thank you so very much, what a wonderful sentiment.

Jean Michel Basquiat

meico ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 7:21 AM

You're very welcome.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.