Thu, Sep 19, 8:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Off Topic - USB Pen Drives

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 5:36 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 12:59 AM

I know it's off topic for the Bryce Forum, but my question is kind of related. I want to transfer file from machine to machine, they're not networked (and can't be) and at least one is mobile. Some of my bryce files are 100M+ so I was thinking about buying one of those little USB pen drives to transfer data around, anyone got one/used one/ suggest an alternative? Aria are doing a 256M one for 45.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

RodsArt ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 5:41 AM

Depends on the transfer rate, personally I would burn them to CD and transfer that way....Plus you'll have a back up library. 600-700MB per. never used a pen drive. Good luck

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

stash0404 ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 5:41 AM

Ive got a 256meg USB Drive and i wonder how i ever lived without it - I used to use rewritable cds but since i got this ive never looked back. works excellently with XP and 2000, 2003 Server (havent tried it with any others. Bought it from my local PC shop - cost about 60 UK Stash ;0)

Doublecrash ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 6:09 AM

I have the same problem, but I use CDs. CDs for data transfer purposes can be found at 20eurocents each, about what I spend each time I light a cigarette :( S.

krimpr ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 7:44 AM

I've got a 64 meg unit and love it. Super handy, and very reliable.

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 8:11 AM

Some of the places I work at get a bit twitchy about CD Burners (I don't know why when a floppy is ok :-) so I thought the pen drive might circumvent the problem. I was also considering a media writer and a compact flash card, works out a little more expensive but could be more flexible.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Flak ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 8:53 AM

Yeah, I've been thinking about a 256MB one for a while but have managed to resist the temptation..... be a lot more tempting if my PC had a usb port though ;)

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 9:18 AM

I've got a SanDisk with the little square 128mb card. It's great! I use it for carrying the files from machine to machine. I do the work on my hard drive however, not to the disk. I actually added more than 128 and couldn't save back. I've been using one over a year and must have swapped work around over 100 times, no problem. I can buy 2 ea 100 spindles of 800mb cdr's for the same price. It's only 50 cents per copy. The disks are harder to carry though and have to have a CDR and software to function. Most portable CDR's are noisy too. If it's only about money buy CDR's, if its about convenience, size, buy the USB pen.

runwolf13 ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 9:53 AM

Those USB pens are the absolute fear of security folks. They are so easy to use, require no software, and aren't easy to recognize. In fact, at the place I work... a government installation... we are moving to a stronger public/private key security system, where we have to put our ID card into a computer to sign onto the network. Until the system is base wide, the higher ups have been given a USB key they have to use. Which looks just like a USB Pen Drive. So, the people who keep stuff from disappearing are hating it.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 9:55 AM

My personal choise would be for a CD-R(W) or a DVD-R(W). But if the people around you go like "Aah! Warez, virusses, cracks, illegal ehm... stuff." every time you want to move a Bryce-file then a USB pen would be very handy. At least it's both compact and fast.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

skydiver ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 3:42 PM

I have a Sony 256meg MicroVault. Absolutely love it, much quicker and easier for moving files from pc to pc than burning a CD. skydiver

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 7:29 PM

I've got two 64Mb, one 32 Mb and one 16Mb. Love them. anything above 128Mb is still too expensive, though.

-- erlik

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.