Fri, Oct 4, 10:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Okay, I'm almost done with him...but I'm stuck.

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 12:10 AM ยท edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 8:23 PM

file_64876.jpg

As an editable poly he's sitting at 1726 polygons. I'm almost done but I have to add his belt, hands, and feet. I am wondering how best to go about making his belt. Any help is appreciated.

BazC ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 3:20 AM

Hiya Teyon, I don't know the first thing about G-max but couldn't you just select a ring of polys around his waist and extrude them out a bit? If you need seperate geometry you could probably copy and paste them somehow afterwards. The beauty of doing it this way is you don't have to worry about getting the geometry to match his waist, it matches automatically. - Baz

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 5:44 AM

Thanks. G-Max is just like Max actually (with NURBS and some other things missing). My problem with it is that when I use the extrude tool, the model extrudes not just straight but also out. Not a good thing when working in halves because you have to fight to get the extrusion back to the center line. It's annoying. I was hopin gthere was some other way but I see that's the best. Maybe I'll save it for after I attach the two halves. Thanks again!

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 7:27 AM

Etrude the belt, detach it and weld the seams that flew apart on the extrude. That's how I'd do it.

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 7:29 AM

oh, yeah...then split it in half again and reattach it so you can mirror the whole figure later on.

BazC ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 8:30 AM

I would think there must be a tool there somewhere to flatten points on an axis? Another possibility, extrude without moving the geometry (extrude zero?) then move or scale the new points along their normals or radial "y"? Don't know if you have these options though :o(

illicit ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 9:27 AM

You could also make it on a seperate layer....

pauljs75 ( ) posted Mon, 30 June 2003 at 10:11 PM

Export as an .obj or .3ds (if possible.) Get Wings if you don't have it already (it's free.) Put Wings in edge mode. Select an edge segment or segments that run vertical between the edge loops that will define the top and bottom of the belt. Hit G and the whole edge ring will be selected. Then go to to face mode and all the faces defining the belt will be selected. Then you should be able to extract and then extrude the region into your belt. If it needs a little adjustment, perhaps selecting the outer rings of the belt and going to vertice mode and using tighten might work nicely. There may be a bit more to it, but that should work. Dunno much about Max, but I'd suppose you could import the model back in. Or perhaps just import the belt back in and fit it to the original model.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.