Fri, Sep 20, 9:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Is it is or is it ain

PhrankPower ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 1:53 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:38 AM

file_65399.jpg

This is a single stairway from the top of the bluffs of the Mississippi Rives leading down to the park by the river. I must admit that after I saw these on my monitor the first one looked like some image manipulation was going on here, but thats not the case. Just a strange winding stairway. Question is, is this an abstract? My Michelles definition its not because you can recognize what it is stairs. But because they look so strange, especially since its a single stairway, one would wonder, what the %#@&, or something like that depending on what part of the planet you should reside. Either way is OK with me. I just happen to like the shot, but is it is or is it aint abstract? Thanks much! marshall

PhrankPower ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 1:55 AM

file_65400.jpg

2nd shot.

patmartj ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 3:14 AM

The first is one h*ll of a shot! I more than like it too, I would think it's more of an abstract than the second one,(perhaps it's to do with the POV) but so glad I don't have to say one way or the other. Is that a get out or what (grin).

Michelle A. ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 6:37 AM

Well the first is an awesome photo! The POV is great! The subject has a lot of possibilities! Now if we remember that abstration is supposed to be non-representational, in that when you look at it, you are not quite sure what you are seeing at first, you realize that when you look at these you can see quite clearly that they are stairs. I think in the scheme of things the second one comes more closely to theme of abstraction than the first one does. But with some cropping on both I can see some really great stuff coming out of these... IMHO.....getting in closer....concentrating on shape and form, while hiding the fact that it is stairs? Remember I'm just giving my opinion...and I will gladly take these for the challenge, if you want me too. :~) In any case still great photography!

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

JordyArt ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 7:20 AM

file_65401.jpg

hmmm... I would call the *design* abstract coz it's not what you would expect of a staircase, but I wouldn't call the photo abstract, coz it's a normal photo of a normal thing. Get me? *HOWEVER*, from the POV of the first one, where you've captured the brickwork seemingly coming out of the top section I *would* call abtract - coz your viewpoint makes it look this way even though it isn't so - in fact, it looks like it'll topple over at any moment..... hmmm. (",)

PhrankPower ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 10:25 AM

That's a great crop! That old chimney is fairly far back, and I positioned the shot to include it as an interesting background. But this crop makes it the star of the photo. Cool.

bleachfix ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 6:34 PM

At first glance the top photo reminded me immediately of something M.C. Escher would have drawn...Similar in theme to "Up and Down" and "Relativity"...Now whether it could be defined as abstract or not is a differnt matter. MC Escher was a genius with symmetry drawings and unreal POV's. Some of his work takes a minute to absorb but you eventually figure it out. Escher was abstract in his thinking and POV but his subjects for the most part are recognizable. Sorry...I don't have any links to Escher..perhaps going to GOOGLE and typing in MC Escher would land on his work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.