Sat, Sep 21, 12:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:04 pm)

Subject: Poser and internet conection

varianie ( ) posted Thu, 17 July 2003 at 4:33 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:16 AM

Im using Poser4, and i sometimes do as im downloading freestuf... Perhaps it has nothing to do, but when i render in a new window i get disconnected from the net. Ive got a 56K modem. Anyone has that problem??? Its driving me nuts :S

Norbert ( ) posted Thu, 17 July 2003 at 10:57 PM

PCI modems have a habit of disconnecting when system resources drop too low. It's almost a fail-safe that's built into them. Your internet connection is considered low priority, compared to other things your computer might be doing at the time. (CPU intensive tasks, like rendering.) A cheap PCI modem is more likely to give you this kind of behavior, than a good quality one might. Never liked ANY of them very much, myself. Before I went 'Broadband', I only used ISA modems. Almost everything they do, is via hardware built onto the board, and is simply more stable. PCI modems are a lot less expensive, because there's not much to them. Most of what they do, is via software loaded into your computer's memory, and they are resourse hogs. Maybe installing more memory will solve your problem.. (?)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 5:35 AM

Attached Link: http://support.superior.net/support/FAQ/hangups.html

Norbert's explanation makes sense (see link). I use a 56K external modem and have no problems with random disconnects. One possible solution is to try lowering the modem's speed and see if that helps. Minimizing the number of other applications running would also be a good idea. I'd kill anything running in the background except a firewall and anti-virus.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

varianie ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 5:42 PM

Thanks to both of you, but i dont think thats the problem... Im using a external modem, Ive got an AMD at 2,4G, ram 512Mb (DDR) and a G-Force. Before i was using a Pentium at 600MH and ram 64Mb, and i never got disconnected when rendering. While im using Poser the only applications running are Internet Explorer and Poser. Will try to use another modem, anyway, and lets see if it works properly or if i still got same prob... Thanks again

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 6:01 PM

Ah, I see. In that case, my only suggestions you may have already tried. Make sure you have the latest drivers for the modem and check the manufacturer's site for bug reports. If you're using the manufacturer's latest drivers, try using the Windows generic driver. If you upgraded to another OS when you changed machines, check Microsoft's or Apple's site for any reports on disconnection problems. Do a search on Google for 'modem disconnect random' or something similar. Check CL's site also - I assume you have the latest patches for your version of Poser. It's weird that it only happens when you render to a new window, but I've heard of lock-ups, etc. during that process. Good luck.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

varianie ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2003 at 7:37 AM

Ive checked for lates modem/Poser drivers/updates and everythings OK, generic windows driver doesnt work for my modem, no bugs reports about that, same windows version running... ARGGGG!! Guess ill just format and see if it works. Thanks again for ur help!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.