Wed, Oct 2, 9:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Help needed for rendering in layers (26 V3s)

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 11:50 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 6:48 AM

Yeah, I know I'm nuts and half of them are high res. If anyone can tell me of an easy to follow tutorial I would be really grateful. I'm using P5 and PSP. I guess I should add that there are quite a few extra conformed figures as well and lots of ground shadows that will effect the outcome dramatically. I'm at the halway point now and only keep 3 or 4 figures visible for perspective. Each figure is saved separately as a cr2, also.

raven ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 11:56 PM

Have you tried rendering your first V3, then pasting the image to background, and then rendering your next one, then repeating the sequence over until you are done?

richardson ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 12:21 AM

Hey raven, I have not done anything yet. I think I understand the pasting part but the shadows are what concern me. Lots of complex shadows

mit123 ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 12:48 AM

Attached Link: http://uqconnect.net/wasteland/siege.html

Hi, I don't know if this is any help but this guy did an amazing pic with hundreds of characters in. He has a tutorial on his site, the linkof which I have attached. Hope it helps.

Flak ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 1:43 AM

Feel free to email or IM me if there's anything in that tut that mit123 posted the URL for that doesn't make sense. Its written with bryce in mind, but I tried to make it as non-app specific as possible so any app user could get somethign out of it.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 1:49 AM

If you render a figure over background and save as TIFF, the figure is an alpha channel. You can put each on a layer. You might play with the background color that gives you the best looking border. I am pretty sure white ain't it.

rhiafaery ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 9:42 AM

What I usually do if I have a lot of figures in one scene (although I have never done 23! heh) is only make one or two visible at a time, render THOSE, then make another one visible (putting the ones I rendered already invisible again), and render the background scene (if it IS a poser scene or backdrop, otherwise leave this step out) by itself as well, with all the other figures invisible. This way, I have several different pictures which I can composite in PS with each on a separate layer. If all of your figures are checked to cast shadows, their respective shadows should reder with their figures. Takes a bit longer, but not quite as long as trying to render everything in one fell swoop, then managing postwork with a crowded scene. I hope that helps! :)

SnowSultan ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 9:47 AM

I wrote a small tutorial on combining renders to create a custom mask that might give you a few ideas on compositing multiple figures into one render. The link is below. http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.ez?Who=SnowSultan&ViewArticle=1419 My Snowcloning tutorial also might be useful for this sort of thing too (I use it all the time myself, since my computer has trouble handling more than 3 or 4 fully-morphed figures). :) That tutorial is in the main Tutorial section here on Renderosity. Hope they can be of some help! Take care. SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

richardson ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 9:54 AM

Thanks for all the help. I did spend some time on searchs and on above links. I'll probably come in at 1.5g. Nowhere near the suffering that Flak went through. It's the little things that I'm after...settings and sizing of Window. I suck in postwork and have only just learned a few techniques, so anything there as well. Thanks Jaager for answering my next question

richardson ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 10:00 AM

It helps! Just missed you rhia and snow. Off to see

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 12:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=459962&Start=1&Artist=Lyrra&ByArtist=Yes

well you might want to consider rendering the figures, saving as a tif and applying to a flat plane. THe alpha channel should knock out the background, and give you a 'cardboard cutout'. Just be careful of camera angles. Or, assemble the whole mess in Photoshop, and make the shadows by hand. In my picture 'spaceport' I rendered out most of the figures separately. Really helps with larger renders.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 3:20 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=441969&Start=1&Artist=PapaBlueMarlin&ByArtist=Yes

Attached is a picture I did with Michael. First make your background to scale with all the necessary details. Then render each figure separately on a solid color background. In photoshop, duplicate the layer and then delete the background. Move your figure onto the background and use the free transform to get it to the right scale. Shadowing will be a pain, but you'll manage :) Lyrra is right about render size, the larger you make each figure in relation to the background, the easier it will be to do all of the necessary postwork. Good Luck :)

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 4:36 PM

If you have a single figure with no background, and save the image as a tif Poser makes a nice alpha channel to select the figure with.

markdc ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 12:01 PM

Attached Link: http://poserutils.tripod.com/index.html

See my script: render_separate.py - Python script to render each figure and prop separately. (Child props and conforming clothes are rendered with the figure). It may help. -Mark

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.